GAA should open Gaelic Grounds 'or else' - Limerick Councillor

Started by Tubberman, January 16, 2007, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

QuoteThe problem is too many people, Gaels included, underestimated the significance of the GAA's gesture and now think its a free for all

That was always likely to be a problem haze, unless the GAA did a very good PR job and managed expectations. To the man in the street it must seem very confusing that only certain types of rugby games are acceptable, especially since there is, as I've said, a big common supporter base.

armaghniac

The IRFU messed up somewhat by redeveloping Thomond while Lansdowne Rd was also closed. However the point here is that the gesture will never be returned, neither Lansdowne Rd not Thomond will be built at a size that will allow GAA games be played there. The GAA suit themselves by having a policy of not allowing Rugby games, the IRFU build walls to do the same.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublinfella

Quote from: haze on January 16, 2007, 05:28:01 PM

The problem is too many people, Gaels included, underestimated the significance of the GAA's gesture and now think its a free for all

nail on head.

but having said that, why only allow international competitive games? why not take the IRFU for another couple of million now the principle of allowing them in on a temporary basis has been established? A serious rugby head i work with (committee man and well known in rugby circles) maintains the IRFU just dont want the hassle of being made beg for CP and would rather go overseas than have to deal with the GAA heirarchy. And this man was genuinely grateful for the stadium initially, but the attitude has changed totally. they just have more decorum than the FAI. the prices being mentioned for stadia in Britain are a fraction of CP as well.

as for the politician, a publicity seeking non-entity. but interesting some posters decided to jump down the IRFU's neck instinctivly.

dodo

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 06:53:04 PM
And this man was genuinely grateful for the stadium initially, but the attitude has changed totally.

Why would it have changed ?

dublinfella

Quote from: dodo on January 16, 2007, 07:06:11 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 06:53:04 PM
And this man was genuinely grateful for the stadium initially, but the attitude has changed totally.

Why would it have changed ?

not 100% sure. He seems to feel that the GAA are lording it, not appreciating the ferocious wedge they are getting. he had a major bee in his bonnet about them being made play vids of Gaelic Games at half time. generally, they are renting the place but not in control of what happens on match day. they hand the keys of LR to the FAI and leave them to it and he feels patronised that a similar arrangement isnt in place.

he makes some valid points to be fair, but i was suprised how pissed off he was with the CP officials.

magpie seanie

Quotehe makes some valid points to be fair, but i was suprised how pissed off he was with the CP officials.

Well if he doesn't like it he can f**k off and built his own stadium with less than 10% funding from the Government. That sort of talk sickens my hole.

dodo

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 07:19:48 PM
not 100% sure. He seems to feel that the GAA are lording it, not appreciating the ferocious wedge they are getting.

The rent agreed by both parties ! A ferocious wedge is a bit dramatic.

he had a major bee in his bonnet about them being made play vids of Gaelic Games at half time. generally, they are renting the place but not in control of what happens on match day.

Playing GAA video clips at half time, had not heard of this and if true is a strange stipulation to put in place for an event that doesn't feature GAA.  

they hand the keys of LR to the FAI and leave them to it and he feels patronised that a similar arrangement isnt in place.
he makes some valid points to be fair, but i was suprised how pissed off he was with the CP officials.

Would be irresponsible to leave FAI officials keys to a locker not to mind the keys of Lansdowne Road  :P .

If the GAA video clip at half time is his major gripe then things aren't too bad. If it is such a big issue then the crowd present will voice their displeasure probably forcing the GAA athorities to back down.
The bottom line to put it bluntly is that it is GAA property, regardless of how much it irks other sporting organisations. The GAA owe nothing to these organisations yet the members voted to open up the grounds temporarily. As previously stated this councillor sounds like he has spoken without knowing the difficulty in making grounds available to rugby even if there was a desire in Limerick GAA to open up the Gaelic Grounds.

dublinfella

Quote from: dodo on January 16, 2007, 07:50:50 PM
not 100% sure. He seems to feel that the GAA are lording it, not appreciating the ferocious wedge they are getting.

The rent agreed by both parties ! A ferocious wedge is a bit dramatic.

he had a major bee in his bonnet about them being made play vids of Gaelic Games at half time. generally, they are renting the place but not in control of what happens on match day.

Playing GAA video clips at half time, had not heard of this and if true is a strange stipulation to put in place for an event that doesn't feature GAA. 

they hand the keys of LR to the FAI and leave them to it and he feels patronised that a similar arrangement isnt in place.

Would be irresponsible to leave FAI officials keys to a locker not to mind the keys of Lansdowne Road  :P .

If the GAA video clip at half time is his major gripe then things aren't too bad. If it is such a big issue then the crowd present will voice their displeasure probably forcing the GAA athorities to back down.
The bottom line to put it bluntly is that it is GAA property, regardless of how much it irks other sporting organisations. The GAA owe nothing to these organisations yet the members voted to open up the grounds temporarily. As previously stated this councillor sounds like he has spoken without knowing the difficulty in making grounds available to rugby even if there was a desire in Limerick GAA to open up the Gaelic Grounds.

Broadly agreed, but the reasons there have been no requests from the IRFU are interesting.

The very fact that phrases like 'owe nothing to these organisations' in relation to a commercial transaction to me shows there is a begrudging attitude to this. once the decision was taken, it was taken. being contrary, petty things like the half time entertainment and not allowing the FAI/IRFU to use their own stewards, first aiders etc its just childish.

Hardy

How come nobody is putting presssure on Horse Racing Ireland to open up Leopardstown or Greenpark in Limerick for possible home Heineken cup quarter finals? I don't hear Indo hacks or parish pump councillors baying for the rugby lads to be let into Punchestown, even though, unlike Croke Park, the taxpayer really did pay for damn near all of it.

I think Leopardstown can hold about 30,000. All you'd have to do is take down a few railings, put away the winning post, mark out the pitch and put up goalposts and corner flags. You wouldn't even have to touch the last fence - it's over a furlong away. The only problem would be the damage the rugby might do to the surface.

dodo

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 07:55:37 PM
The very fact that phrases like 'owe nothing to these organisations' in relation to a commercial transaction to me shows there is a begrudging attitude to this. once the decision was taken, it was taken. being contrary, petty things like the half time entertainment and not allowing the FAI/IRFU to use their own stewards, first aiders etc its just childish.

I understand your general point but why would there be a begrudging attitude to this situation ? What exactly is there to begrudge ?

The GAA members voted to open up CP, now they are begrudgers. It seems like a no win situation for the poor old GAA heads.

dublinfella

Quote from: dodo on January 16, 2007, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 07:55:37 PM

I understand your general point but why would there be a begrudging attitude to this situation ? What exactly is there to begrudge ?

The GAA members voted to open up CP, now they are begrudgers. It seems like a no win situation for the poor old GAA heads.

thats not the argument being made and well you know it. do we expect concerts to show GAA highlights in between bands? boxing matches between rounds? MCD can use their own commercial partners  (catering, stewards, first aiders, announcers) but not the IRFU. there are complaints ofn oneupsmanship being made about making life difficult for them. they are handing over €1,000,000 minimum a game. and they percive CP are taking the piss over little things.

thats what the man said

Quote from: Hardy on January 16, 2007, 08:02:54 PM
How come nobody is putting presssure on Horse Racing Ireland to open up Leopardstown or Greenpark in Limerick for possible home Heineken cup quarter finals? I don't hear Indo hacks or parish pump councillors baying for the rugby lads to be let into Punchestown, even though, unlike Croke Park, the taxpayer really did pay for damn near all of it.

I think Leopardstown can hold about 30,000. All you'd have to do is take down a few railings, put away the winning post, mark out the pitch and put up goalposts and corner flags. You wouldn't even have to touch the last fence - it's over a furlong away. The only problem would be the damage the rugby might do to the surface.

because the horse guys arent already renting to the FAI/IRFU....

besides the FAI in particular have extremely stringent stadia regulations to pass for international comeptive games and horse racing tracks wouldnt pass muster.

on an aside, why didnt the local GAA club object to punchestown in that case like they are with Tallaght....  :D

magickingdom

first of all a problem will only arise if there is a home semi-final for munster or leinster. then the game must be played in a ground with as 20,000 capacity, with landsdowne gone the irfu dont have one. ravenhill can be brought up to 19,000, surly they could fit another 1,000 in and solve the problem or european rugby can say 19,000 is enough in this once-off. alternatively there is a hugh cross over in rugby and gaa supporters in munster anyway so why not use the gaelic grounds as a once off..........

haze

again another problem, of course there is a huge crossover... its the same in every town and club in Ireland but what gives anyone the right to just presume that the GAA should just click their fingers when the situation arises. What it could lead to is in a few years time, the local soccer/rugby pitch being unavailable for use and because of the "huge crossover" the GAA pitch next door should be used instead....

rosnarun

what kind of morons close their 2 biggest stadiums for repair at exactly the same time. the same kind of idiots who would close their main stadium  on the prosmise of planning permission so they could embarress the GAA into  giving them a free ride.
Sorry that makes us in the gaa something even worse for handing over a 'clean' stadium to them

and then as has been said there the FAI
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lynchbhoy

anyone got the wording of the munster rfu statement where they say that they dont blame the GAA for not opening up their stadia to them etc etc

when I heard it I wasnt too pleased
while it looked like a statement of understanding and non blame, I thought it sounded like a platform for some of the volatile irate anti GAA members of their fraternity to crank up and start with the giving out and eventual campaigning to open croker for munster

I'd give them clones...for as long as they want..