Ronan O'Gara stock rising on OWC!

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, May 08, 2009, 09:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Roger on May 09, 2009, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 08, 2009, 04:48:43 PM
So what exactly is the OWC position on Sir Ronan O'Gara's interpretation of royal protocol?
He isn't being discussed.

Discussed or disgust?
MWWSI 2017

fred the red

Quote from: nifan on May 09, 2009, 01:09:16 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 08, 2009, 03:41:07 PM
Mammy and Pappy are from the black, black south I believe.

His Pappy is from Andytown actually. Not sure about his ma.

Didnt know they sold poppies in andystown

mylestheslasher

Quote from: T Fearon on May 08, 2009, 04:10:44 PM
You can usually tell by the name. Sean, Seamus, Eileen, Bernadette etc taig, Heather, Mervyn, Walter etc prod. If the christian name doesn't do it then the surname usually does

"Stephen Ferris" would not be a daily communicant or own rosary beads I would safely say ;D

Bobby Sands.....

Unless you are trying to be funny, That must be one of your most idiotic posts Tony.

Donnellys Hollow

You can usually tell by the name. Sean, Seamus, Eileen, Bernadette etc taig, Heather, Mervyn, Walter etc prod. If the christian name doesn't do it then the surname usually does

"Stephen Ferris" would not be a daily communicant or own rosary beads I would safely say ;D

Eh.....Martin Ferris??

Him of IRA and Sinn Féin fame.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jim_Murphy_74

It's a Cork thing apparently:

QuoteDear Editor,
On December 1, 1920, the Auxiliary Division, RIC, Macroom Castle, Cork, 'ordered that all male inhabitants of Macroom and all males passing through Macroom shall not appear in public with their hands in their pockets. Any male infringing this order is liable to be shot on sight'.
It has been the habit of Corkmen to assert a right to keep their hands in their pockets in the presence of British authority figures ever since. The more often it happens the more it should reassure British personages that no harm will come to them, and that, therefore, it is not necessary to shoot Irishmen with deficient deportment.

This may explain why Irish and Munster Rugby star Ronan O'Gara, from Cork, kept his hands in his pockets when he met Queen Elizabeth, from London, recently. Whether the historical basis for O'Gara's stance was part of the IRFU's defence of his actions (Examiner, May 9th) is another matter.

Yours etc,
Niall Meehan

(From Times letter page!)

orangeman

Believe it or not but you're wrong on this one. Stephen is a great lad and is a winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 11, 2009, 08:44:22 AM

QuoteDear Editor,
On December 1, 1920, the Auxiliary Division, RIC, Macroom Castle, Cork, 'ordered that all male inhabitants of Macroom and all males passing through Macroom shall not appear in public with their hands in their pockets. Any male infringing this order is liable to be shot on sight'.
It has been the habit of Corkmen to assert a right to keep their hands in their pockets in the presence of British authority figures ever since. The more often it happens the more it should reassure British personages that no harm will come to them, and that, therefore, it is not necessary to shoot Irishmen with deficient deportment.

This may explain why Irish and Munster Rugby star Ronan O'Gara, from Cork, kept his hands in his pockets when he met Queen Elizabeth, from London, recently. Whether the historical basis for O'Gara's stance was part of the IRFU's defence of his actions (Examiner, May 9th) is another matter.

Yours etc,
Niall Meehan

It may indeed be a Cork thing but I feel Ronan has pretty strong Nationalist views of his own.
I've noticed in telly closeups that he doesn't open his mouth when "Ireland's Call" is being rendered. On the other hand, he gives it welly for the singing of Amhran na bhFiann.
I asked around and was told that he objects to anything other than the national anthem being used to represent the team when games are played in Dublin.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ziggysego

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 11, 2009, 11:44:00 AM
It may indeed be a Cork thing but I feel Ronan has pretty strong Nationalist views of his own.
I've noticed in telly closeups that he doesn't open his mouth when "Ireland's Call" is being rendered. On the other hand, he gives it welly for the singing of Amhran na bhFiann.
I asked around and was told that he objects to anything other than the national anthem being used to represent the team when games are played in Dublin.

I've noticed that about him too.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

QuoteDear Editor,

Yours etc,
Niall Meehan

Yes, bit that's not a huge deal - there would be plenty of Northern based players that wouldn't have opened their mouth but gave it welly for Irelands Call. It's why there is two anthems

Roger

Quote from: stephenite on May 11, 2009, 11:57:11 AM

QuoteDear Editor,

Yours etc,
Niall Meehan

Yes, bit that's not a huge deal - there would be plenty of Northern based players that wouldn't have opened their mouth but gave it welly for Irelands Call. It's why there is two anthems
I don't think that it is why there are two anthems at all.  There is one anthem for the team and an additional one (ie the SS)  for some strange protocol reasons when playing in the Republic. 

Franko

Quote from: Roger on May 11, 2009, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: stephenite on May 11, 2009, 11:57:11 AM

QuoteDear Editor,

Yours etc,
Niall Meehan

I don't think that it is why there are two anthems at all.  There is one anthem for the team and an additional one (ie the SS)  for some strange protocol reasons when playing in the Republic. 

Or possibly, just possibly, the reason for playing Amhran na bhFiann is because it is the national anthem of Ireland - and Ireland's Call is the PC anthem played 'for some strange protocol reasons'....???::)

Roger

Quote from: Franko on May 11, 2009, 02:00:15 PM
Or possibly, just possibly, the reason for playing Amhran na bhFiann is because it is the national anthem of Ireland - and Ireland's Call is the PC anthem played 'for some strange protocol reasons'....???::)
The former is inaccurate and the latter is the reason according to the IRFU. 

Orior

Quote from: Roger on May 11, 2009, 02:10:51 PM

Are you the most oppressed person in the world roger?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Roger

Quote from: Orior on May 11, 2009, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: Roger on May 11, 2009, 02:10:51 PM

Are you the most oppressed person in the world roger?
Absolutely not.  I don't feel oppressed at all.

There's people on here seem to think I'm some sort of oppressor though. 

longrunsthefox

Probably not an opppressor as you're days of oppressing are over but definently very bitter and obsessed with what your perceived enemy is doing.