Tir Eoghain -v- Maigh Eo - Sunday 13th April

Started by ziggysego, April 06, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

To whom it may concern

Just a quick point on omagh pitch...think the amount of games on it has left the surface in a delicate state...this clearly hasn't helped tyrone's game...even yesterday, the ball died and/or bounced unpredictably on the ground. This should be looked at for next year's league programme...all the colleges/schools games have had a detrimental effect on pitch....we should be looking after our own interests, not catering for dom and his acquaintances....

secondly, maybe it's just me, but i have attended all our league fixtures in omagh for last 2-3 years and have noticed a drop in the atmosphere..i don't feel healy park is the cauldron it once was...perhaps the 2 sam successes has taken the shine off tyrone supporters and we now have the same problem man utd now have at old trafford-the supporters come waiting to be entertained

orangeman

Quote from: To whom it may concern on April 14, 2008, 02:32:20 PM
Just a quick point on omagh pitch...think the amount of games on it has left the surface in a delicate state...this clearly hasn't helped tyrone's game...even yesterday, the ball died and/or bounced unpredictably on the ground. This should be looked at for next year's league programme...all the colleges/schools games have had a detrimental effect on pitch....we should be looking after our own interests, not catering for dom and his acquaintances....
secondly, maybe it's just me, but i have attended all our league fixtures in omagh for last 2-3 years and have noticed a drop in the atmosphere..i don't feel healy park is the cauldron it once was...perhaps the 2 sam successes has taken the shine off tyrone supporters and we now have the same problem man utd now have at old trafford-the supporters come waiting to be entertained

What has Dom got to do with the state of the pitch - Omagh has a poor surface full stop. It simply needs a new prunty type sand based surface.

With regard to the lack of atmosphere, you're right, it isn't the caludron it once was - and it mighn't ever be the same again unless Sam Maguire comes back along with the big crowds. There was plenty of space in the stands yesterday - however had it been an AI final, you'd have some trouble getting sorted for tickets !

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: To whom it may concern on April 14, 2008, 02:32:20 PM
Just a quick point on omagh pitch...think the amount of games on it has left the surface in a delicate state...this clearly hasn't helped tyrone's game...even yesterday, the ball died and/or bounced unpredictably on the ground. This should be looked at for next year's league programme

Pedantic I know but given Tyrone got all  of their 7 points in the league this season at home it surely cant be hindering the team too much! Good to get the win yesterday and run up a decent enough tally on the scoreboard. Brian McGuigan is a class act but I dont think anybody expected him to slot back in like that, a real measure of the man that he could do it after so long out. He will still have a bit to go but if he can now remain injury free (please) then he will give this Tyrone team a huge lift. With Tommy seemingly coming onto a game and with Mugsy still to return (and with a bit of luck Dooher too) the forward division is potentially getting much stronger.

Full back still hasnt been addressed unfortunately and thats one area where I dont understand the management, surely Gormley should have been left at CHB all through the league and some other lads given a real run at FB. As it was Justy lined out there and then Block played there.

All in all though there are some positive signs and if we finally get a lucky break with injuries then Tyrone could be dangerous this summer. Its possible that by having lower key McKenna and League campaigns that the team will be in better shape come the summer, fingers crossed.

Funny to think that a week ago there were posts on here calling for a change of management and in one case almost a whole new team! Knee jerk reactions seem to be very common amongst some GAA supporters.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on April 14, 2008, 03:20:30 PM
Knee jerk reactions seem to be very common amongst some GAA supporters.

Was there ever a truer word spoken?  :P

rosnarun

blast youve been listening to too many ilster men on these page if your putting an overweight  point kicker like bradley over a man who has won allirelands for kerry almost on his own  as we know to our cost. scoring is only a small part of his game. I agree conroy has a long way to go but lets judge him in the summertime not in a glorified friendly in april
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blast05

Quote from: rosnarun on April 14, 2008, 05:00:51 PM
blast youve been listening to too many ilster men on these page if your putting an overweight  point kicker like bradley over a man who has won allirelands for kerry almost on his own  as we know to our cost. scoring is only a small part of his game. I agree conroy has a long way to go but lets judge him in the summertime not in a glorified friendly in april

OK, to use another example - i think Conroy would have a better chance of being able to handle Donaghy than the Gooch.
BTW, the overweight point kicker may be a lazy aul sod but i would have him on my Mayo team any day of the week.

tyssam5

blast youve been listening to too many ilster men on these page if your putting an overweight  point kicker like bradley over a man who has won allirelands for kerry almost on his own  as we know to our cost. scoring is only a small part of his game. I agree conroy has a long way to go but lets judge him in the summertime not in a glorified friendly in april

First time I've heard 'point kicker' used as a kind of insult/limitation when describing a Gaelic footballer.

Fuzzman

7 points again this year and I suppose we've saw a lot more new faces tried during the league this time.

Certainly Mickey has lowered expectation a lot and it looks like we're not gonna peak to early this year anyway.

I was only at one match this year the Derry game and I didn't like what I saw especially in forward play and again NO Midfield.

Is anyone willing to give a FULL squad review of who played this year so far and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

What would be our strongest team should all be fit & I don't mean including SON either.

Here's my shout
McConnell - Best shot stopper and has huge presence for one on ones.
Ricey - May have lost some of his pace but still reads the game well and is well motivated to Scare off most Corner forwards
Joey McMahon - Soley because of his past performances here in 2005 and no-one else has done a good job since.
McCaul/Swift/Carlin/Quinn/Gourley/McGee - Havent saw enough of any of them recently to decide but think Quinn & Swift did OK from what I've heard.

Harte - He continues to plod along and get regular scores and does reasonably well with breaking ball but should be switched if marking a fast running No 10
Block - Should be able to get back on track himself we hope after an indifferent NFL.
Jordan - Played a few cracker games I believe but again a few very laid back performances

Holmes/Justy/Hub
Sean/McGinley/Joey   God know who get the nod here but I think we're resigned to having grafter rather than Huge clean catchers with Sean back to Storming forward again.

Dooher - The man I think will shock a lot of fans again how much his hunger is still there if he can stay fit.
McGugian - Again hunger will not be lacking having come through so much of late
AN Other - Maybe Colm Cavanagh or McGinley but think Mulgrew has burnt his bridges too often now or maybe needs sunshine and hard pitches.

Mugsy - Again we're piining a lot of our hopes on Owen and often that's when he lets us down the most.
Tommy McGuigan - Can be our star forward I feel this year if he has some help around him and good supply from the 40 line this time
McCullagh - Accurate nippy corner forward who can be easily pushed out of it but for his left foot frees alone I think he deserves his place.

Who am I leaving out then?

ildanach

your right there. Conroy will develop at full back. It is not his natural position and so it will take time. First 10 or 15 mins yesterday cavanagh was getting the better of him. but after that he won more than his fair share of ball. He also is developing a nice knack of getting the hand in and breaking the ball. Our corner backs though would need to have gotten quicker to these breaks though.

One think i thought about yesterdays game was that the mayo lads looked like lads that had done a lot of training during the week and seemed lethargic. One more thing Dillon is gone to shit altogether hope he gets some form back soon.  
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThe Donaghy from Kerry who would not come anywhere near Paddy Bradley in a 20 yard burst for the ball, the Donaghy from Kerry who would not turn on a 6 pence like Paddy Bradley - thats the Donaghy that Conroy would have a better chance of hanlding than the likes of Paddy Bradley

what is it with you Mayo lads, coins and Kieran Donaghy ?

Tyrone Dreamer

If we had a fully fit team Id like to see something like this:
Packie
Swift
Joe McMahon
McGee
Ricey
Gormley
Phily
McGinley
Justy McMahon - Im only putting him there based on potential, would need to see him play here at county level a few times
Dooher
McGuigan
C Cavanagh
Mugsy
S Cavanagh
T McGuigan

Its very hard to know what are full back line should be. Dont think Ricey is a good enough man marker any more to stay there. He's also too attacking for centre half, so I'd put him at right half ahead of Harte. The half back line looks excellent on paper. PJ Quinn also showed signs that he may be good enough for corner back and looks a better marker than Carlin. If we are forced to bring Gormley back into the full back line then Gourley looks like an option to play a holding role at centre half. Are bench would still be strong enough:
Carlin
PJ Quinn
D McCaul
C Gourley
Holmes
Hub
Mellon
Mulgrew
McCullagh
Niall Gormley

Wouldnt fancy putting money on the actual team that will start against Down.

rosnarun

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 14, 2008, 05:18:24 PM
blast youve been listening to too many ilster men on these page if your putting an overweight  point kicker like bradley over a man who has won allirelands for kerry almost on his own  as we know to our cost. scoring is only a small part of his game. I agree conroy has a long way to go but lets judge him in the summertime not in a glorified friendly in april

First time I've heard 'point kicker' used as a kind of insult/limitation when describing a Gaelic footballer.

you know the type little fat lad hangs around the goal getting looking flash . but disappears as soon as he meets a decent back. not to be confused with a proper footballer
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on April 15, 2008, 01:22:57 AM

you know the type little fat lad hangs around the goal getting looking flash . but disappears as soon as he meets a decent back. not to be confused with a proper footballer

Cough - current Crossmolina manager - cough ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on April 15, 2008, 01:49:38 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 15, 2008, 01:22:57 AM

Cough - current Crossmolina manager - cough ;)

Ah that's not nice  :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rrhf

Potential = means a player hasnt done it yet but by God its coming.
reality = sometimes potential dosent fulfill itself.
Mickey has made a huge error of judgement with Raymie, way too much, way too soon.