Violence in Adult Club Football

Started by Jinxy, September 17, 2018, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your county, has it:

Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

blewuporstuffed

Part i of the issue i think is that the actual sanctions imposed and what people are calling for on here are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum and to me, neither is fair or realistic.
Alot of the time a player will get a one game ban from that competition, which is totally inadequate and no real deterrent for getting involved in these sort of things , but to call for 2 year bans and clubs banned and that sort of thing is unrealistic as well.
What we need is a set sanction for getting involved in a melee and make it enforceable. We need to get rid of the appeals culture too.
Clubs and players need to feel like the system is fair and if they have done wrong own it and take the penalty.
For me a 1 game ban is not long enough for a striking offence.
It should be 3 games(at least 1 in the competition it happened in)
For the likes of the instances highlighted recently, it should be 5 games for anyone identified. I know alot will say its not enough, but if that was strictly enforced, you watch players start to think twice about getting involved.
A major issue is also the behaviour of managers and officials .I would say if that was better controlled we could cut out the amount of incidents that end up in a mellee in half.
Managers /officials/waterboys etc  have NO place of the field at all for any reason. This needs to be enforced.
If any non player enters the pitch, the referee needs to send them to the stand immediately.
This craic of mentor running on to give instructions is nonsense and more often than not ends up in confrontation with opposition players and abusiveness of the officials.

Its alright saying 'kick out the clubs' and 'ban him for life ' etc, but it wont happen and all we end up with is a mess of appeals. Come down hard , but fair on this sort of thing and hopefully we can stamp it out.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stephenite

I'd start by banning anyone that encroaches on the field of play for at least 2 years. If you leave the field to get involved in something, life. Get those in the rule book now.

I am mystified that there isn't more noise around the actions of the Selector/Manager/Mentor from Dingle. It was the actions of an utter, utter gouger.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2018, 09:27:26 AM
I'd start by banning anyone that encroaches on the field of play for at least 2 years. If you leave the field to get involved in something, life. Get those in the rule book now.

I am mystified that there isn't more noise around the actions of the Selector/Manager/Mentor from Dingle. It was the actions of an utter, utter gouger.

This is exactly the sort of thing i mean though, its not enforceable or realistic, all you will get is a chain of appeals and ultimately very little sanction at the end of it all.

Start by taking baby steps. enforce that management/backroom team arent allowed on the pitch, see how much nonsense that cuts out.
Start with meaningful suspensions for the players, not the current 1 game slap on the wrist.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

trailer

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 23, 2018, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2018, 09:27:26 AM

This is exactly the sort of thing i mean though, its not enforceable or realistic, all you will get is a chain of appeals and ultimately very little sanction at the end of it all.

Start by taking baby steps. enforce that management/backroom team arent allowed on the pitch, see how much nonsense that cuts out.
Start with meaningful suspensions for the players, not the current 1 game slap on the wrist.

Yeah it's actually doubtful if that selector will get a ban at all. No proof of even who he is. Crazy situation.
Colm Parkinson was actually very funny to listen to about this in one of his last podcasts. Firstly condemned the Ballyholland V Downpatrick scenes, then pointed out how the only player he ever knew of taking his ban was John Mullane. Rolled onto how he and the rest of the crew laughed at the battle of Omagh, and wasn't it great craic that everyone got off. Then he went on to complain about some Laois player who was great servant but got sent off in the championship SF and even though he appealed is still banned for the final. It's this sort of bullshit attitude demonstrated by him that needs tackling. 

Wildweasel74

f**k the baby steps, this is what has got us in this mess in the first place. Ulster Rugby fined Coleraine Rugby club £5k today for management insulting the lady referee, no baby steps there or f**king around, come down heavy on them and have the proper rules in place to enforce such matter,

That clown of a selector from Dingle blindsided that lad, should he not get 2 years for the offence? i reckon so
what good  a match or 2 suspension to a selector who doesn't play

BennyHarp

I wonder is the recent fighting in championship matches anything to do with the fact that club players spend all summer training and kicking their heels building up the anticipation for a do or die championship that could be over in 60 mins or if they progress, potentially 4 huge pressure games compressed into as many weeks. No wonder the lads are nearly feral by the time they take the pitch.
That was never a square ball!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 23, 2018, 08:22:20 PM
f**k the baby steps, this is what has got us in this mess in the first place. Ulster Rugby fined Coleraine Rugby club £5k today for management insulting the lady referee, no baby steps there or f**king around, come down heavy on them and have the proper rules in place to enforce such matter,

That clown of a selector from Dingle blindsided that lad, should he not get 2 years for the offence? i reckon so

There are glaring gaps in the GAA's rules and procedures for how violent acts are assessed and classified.

As a result, it isn't possible for any committee to implement anything close to the measures you would like to implement. There's no precedent. No instruction.

That's where you should centre your discontent. Not on county boards.

By the way, 2 years for a single punch? There'd be nobody left eligible to play the game by 2021.

ardtole

Quote from: thewobbler on October 23, 2018, 08:38:20 PM

There are glaring gaps in the GAA's rules and procedures for how violent acts are assessed and classified.

As a result, it isn't possible for any committee to implement anything close to the measures you would like to implement. There's no precedent. No instruction.

By the way, 2 years for a single punch? There'd be nobody left eligible to play the game by 2021.
Surely wobbler, your not suggesting the Kerry officials actions warrant the proposed 8 week suspension. That was a low act. He totally blindsided the east Kerry man.

LeoMc

A player striking another player misses 2-3 games.
He wasn't a player so yes 2 years.

thewobbler

Quote from: ardtole on October 23, 2018, 08:49:04 PM

Surely wobbler, your not suggesting the Kerry officials actions warrant the proposed 8 week suspension. That was a low act. He totally blindsided the east Kerry man.

I'm not suggesting anything other than the rulebook doesn't differentiate between a man being blindsided and a man swinging back. Both are striking with the hand. Unless the selector has previous, it's not in Kerry CCC's interests to give him anything longer than the minimum suspension, as it will only end up in a hearing where that committee are asked to avoid interpretation of rules and punishments, and to only punish consistently. Which makes it striking with the hand. One or two games for a player, and not a whole pile longer for anyone else.

delgany

Allegedly Ballyholland have used match abondonment  to stave off relegation to Div 2 . Some antics to be at !  Absolute disgrace. Should be banned for a year

thewobbler

Quote from: delgany on October 23, 2018, 09:13:01 PM
Allegedly Ballyholland have used match abondonment  to stave off relegation to Div 2 . Some antics to be at !  Absolute disgrace. Should be banned for a year

Using the word "allegedly" doesn't conceal that you're cooking a stew without looking at the ingredients.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2018, 08:37:09 PM
I wonder is the recent fighting in championship matches anything to do with the fact that club players spend all summer training and kicking their heels building up the anticipation for a do or die championship that could be over in 60 mins or if they progress, potentially 4 huge pressure games compressed into as many weeks. No wonder the lads are nearly feral by the time they take the pitch.

Each player is responsible for his own actions, championship has been this way for as long as counties have formed league and championships.. there is absolutely no excuse for someone dirty joe'ing a player or a boozed up supporter (or not) coming on to the pitch and acting the bollox..

But looking for excuses will continue to be the norm..

Slaps and rough tackles in a match is the norm, if someone deliberately strikes a player, especially when they are from behind is just a Cnut, plain and simple and anyone defending such cnuts need to look at themselves
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

twohands!!!

Quote from: ardtole on October 23, 2018, 08:49:04 PM

Has anyone got on to the Guards in Tralee and asked them why they are not preparing a case for the DPP ?

If the same footage was captured outside of a chipper at 2am, with the Dingle selector chinning some lad standing around, what sort of charges would he be facing ?

OgraAnDun

A fair chunk of hypocrisy on Twitter around the video of the fight from Cork. The same people who are calling for lifetime bans are the ones getting stuck into no. 14's teammates for hanging him out to dry!