the future of the Intercounty game

Started by caprea, October 24, 2017, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

They will be in every final for the next 10 years and will bunk their own propagated myth that they are simply a good one off Dublin team, as they will be on their 3rd midfielder and full back and full forward from when they started cleaning up.

thewobbler

Quote from: rrhf on October 25, 2017, 09:09:30 PM
They will be in every final for the next 10 years and will bunk their own propagated myth that they are simply a good one off Dublin team, as they will be on their 3rd midfielder and full back and full forward from when they started cleaning up.

How is it a propagated myth?

10 of the 19 men who played for them in the 2011 final, played in the 2017 final.

No doubt they've brought in new blood from then, but I'd guess the only county in Ireland that has a similar footprint between those 6 years is Mayo.

Zulu

Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 08:34:37 PM
People say they would lose interest if the counties became regions.

The same people might support Liverpool and hate Everton despite not having any connection to Liverpool.

People support sports teams to break the tedium and have excitement and something to enjoy. The actual team they follow is secondary.

But they are all foreign teams. We can pick our soccer teams and even change them if we want (I'm sure there's a few 40 year old ex-Blackburn rovers fans floating about Ireland). I don't see anyway regional teams would be well supported and some of them would still be average teams so they certainly wouldn't get much support.

caprea

Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2017, 10:28:45 PM
Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 08:34:37 PM
People say they would lose interest if the counties became regions.

The same people might support Liverpool and hate Everton despite not having any connection to Liverpool.

People support sports teams to break the tedium and have excitement and something to enjoy. The actual team they follow is secondary.

But they are all foreign teams. We can pick our soccer teams and even change them if we want (I'm sure there's a few 40 year old ex-Blackburn rovers fans floating about Ireland). I don't see anyway regional teams would be well supported and some of them would still be average teams so they certainly wouldn't get much support.

You think people will just stop supporting an elite GAA team? That they will just cut something they love out of their life because a team changes shape.

Maybe, I personally think people aren’t in love with the team, they are in love with the practice of been emotionally invested in a team. Just become a team changes shape it won’t make any difference. Those supporters are like junkies and they will still need to get their hit.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: caprea on October 25, 2017, 10:34:43 PM
Maybe, I personally think people aren't in love with the team, they are in love with the practice of been emotionally invested in a team. Just become a team changes shape it won't make any difference. Those supporters are like junkies and they will still need to get their hit.

Orchard park

Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2017, 09:03:36 PM
For al Dublin's advantaged, they can't play more than 15 players and can't "buy" in players for positions.

Their time will come to an end. When the last one-team era like this in football ended, it gave way to the most exciting 15 years in the sport's history. That's when crowds peaked.

It's all cycles.

And Dublin's cycle is coming to an end. They, once again, needed Flynn, Brogan, Connolly to win the title. They'll produce good players forever, but they'll not have 3 like that again for 20 years at least.

I get your point bug they needed neither Flynn nor brogan, it Was mcmanamon and Connolly that produced the goods, Flynn had a stinker and  began was quiet

Zulu

Yes, that's exactly what will happen. If GAA supporters wanted to support an elite team then Leitrim people would be supporting Mayo, Wicklow people supporting Dublin and Limerick people supporting Kerry etc. They don't do that, though I'm sure some might go to big games to watch high quality football.

Most of us are from counties that don't win very often yet few of us have second teams. I was at the All Ireland final this year and roared on Mayo as loudly as any Mayo man around me (like thousands of other neutrals) but none of us would be supporters.

It's supporting your county and club that engages all GAA fans I know. I think most would be left cold at the thought of supporting a regional team and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few players would refuse to play in such a team. The county identity is very deep rooted in the GAA and I don't think that will change.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
It's supporting your county and club that engages all GAA fans I know. I think most would be left cold at the thought of supporting a regional team and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few players would refuse to play in such a team. The county identity is very deep rooted in the GAA and I don't think that will change.
You are on the money there Zulu fair play.

Rossfan

It's supporting your county and club that engages all GAA fans I know. I think most would be left cold at the thought of supporting a regional team
Did Imokilly or South Kerry have no supporters last Sunday?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2017, 11:38:23 PM

It's supporting your county and club that engages all GAA fans I know. I think most would be left cold at the thought of supporting a regional team

Zu will keep moving the goalposts to avoid addressing the envitability that Dublin will need to be split.

Fact is if we're gong to ask them to split and give a fair slice of their money to HQ the rest need to be willing to make radical change too. Divisional teams are proof it can and would work if done correctly.

Zulu

I'm sure they did Rossfan but plenty of divisional teams are poorly supported or folded due to lack of interest. Another point worth noting is the fact that the local club teams still exist and compete whereas what's being proposed here is the end of Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford etc. GAA teams in favour of regional teams. 

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 11:45:21 PM

Zu will keep moving the goalposts to avoid addressing the envitability that Dublin will need to be split.

Fact is if we're gong to ask them to split and give a fair slice of their money to HQ the rest need to be willing to make radical change too. Divisional teams are proof it can and would work if done correctly.

How have I moved the posts? Is it only Dublin being split? Can large unsuccessful counties merge? Who funds these regional teams? Where is their home pitch? There is a thousand and one serious hurdles to overcome to make it even possible. We have issues but this is a daft solution.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on October 26, 2017, 12:47:24 AM

I'm sure they did Rossfan but plenty of divisional teams are poorly supported or folded due to lack of interest. Another point worth noting is the fact that the local club teams still exist and compete whereas what's being proposed here is the end of Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford etc. GAA teams in favour of regional teams.

Congrats on inventing another straw man argument.

Zulu

Eh? If you've regional IC teams then you don't have county teams as they are disbanded in favour of regional teams. Isn't that what you've proposed?

inthrough

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 11:45:21 PM

There is nothing "inevitable" about Dublin being split & I for one would hate to see it.

Funding is a seperate issue altogether & one that needs addressing for sure. How Croke Park can justify the allocation of funding is beyond me.

But with regard to splitting splitting Dublin?  No.