Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Orchard park

evening before the final along with the minors could be a good show

larryin89

Quote from: Orchard park on October 19, 2018, 04:12:43 PM

That's a good idea , you'd get a lot going to the Sunday game would go along .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Elphin still a noted common sense location ;D
Other possibility depending on scheduling -triple header Minor, U20 and the Tier 2 Finals?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on October 19, 2018, 04:52:14 PM

+1

As a general statement I think the GAA does a sh*t job on the weekend of the football final. They could have way more activities two to three days prior to final.

Personally speaking, I have no interest in showing up at 1pm to watch a U17 game when the final itself begins at 3.30.
If they don't want to have it the evening before (and distribute 5,000 free tickets to the counties involved) then have the U17 final at noon and the second tier final at 1.45 or 2.

lenny

Quote from: joemamas on October 19, 2018, 06:42:11 PM

+1

As a general statement I think the GAA does a sh*t job on the weekend of the football final. They could have way more activities two to three days prior to final.

Personally speaking, I have no interest in showing up at 1pm to watch a U17 game when the final itself begins at 3.30.
If they don't want to have it the evening before (and distribute 5,000 free tickets to the counties involved) then have the U17 final at noon and the second tier final at 1.45 or 2.

U17 final at 12.00, Tier 2 final at 1.45 and senior final at 3.45. Great day out and great viewing on tv also. Win win.

Syferus

Would you fûck.

Some of ye are properly in cloud cuckoo land.

Rossfan

That's ye tould.
Sure no one will go against the Oracle.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on October 19, 2018, 07:13:50 PM

Would you fûck.

Jeez do you have to be so damn righteous all the time .

All Ireland weekend , you meet up with people on a sat afternoon , grub, drinks , some head out to kilmacud for the sevens . Having a game to go to on the sat evening would definitely appeal to me . It would break up the day/night too
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on October 19, 2018, 07:29:52 PM

Would you fûck.

All Ireland weekend , you meet up with people on a sat afternoon , grub, drinks , some head out to kilmacud for the sevens . Having a game to go to on the sat evening would definitely appeal to me . It would break up the day/night too

Lads won't turn up for a minor AI final that's paid for on their ticket, there's no chance f them coming up a day early or if they're already up wasting more of their weekend on football than they're already.

Second rate football in a second rate completion isn't going to ever be sellable to casual supporters.

Orchard park

Well I for one if I was up for all Ireland weekend would definitely attend a B final minor final double header.

You wouldn't so that sums up the gulf in our love of the game

BennyCake

Quote from: Syferus on October 19, 2018, 08:04:24 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on October 19, 2018, 07:29:52 PM

Would you fûck.

Lads won't turn up for a minor AI final that's paid for on their ticket, there's no chance f them coming up a day early or if they're already up wasting more of their weekend on football than they're already.

Second rate football in a second rate completion isn't going to ever be sellable to casual supporters.

Yup, very true.

Farrandeelin

This B competition. How on earth are the powers that be divide the middle of the road counties into the A and B competitions? Let's say that is what happens if this scenario comes to pass and Derry, lets say wins the B competition and are still in the bottom 2 divisions. Do they stay in the B competition or  go up to the A competition the season afterwards?

I used Derry as an example because surely they will be promoted to Division 3 next year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tintin25

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 20, 2018, 10:58:17 PM
This B competition. How on earth are the powers that be divide the middle of the road counties into the A and B competitions? Let's say that is what happens if this scenario comes to pass and Derry, lets say wins the B competition and are still in the bottom 2 divisions. Do they stay in the B competition or  go up to the A competition the season afterwards?

I used Derry as an example because surely they will be promoted to Division 3 next year.

This is pretty much the issue for me, when it comes to these 'middle of the road' counties who have flitted in/out of the top 16 in recent years but who traditionally would have in/around middle to top bracket.  Teams like Armagh, Derry, Meath, Fermanagh, Sligo etc....all major football counties where hurling plays second fiddle.  It's one thing getting the likes of Wicklow ( always in lower bracket) to sign up and the likes of Waterford (again always in lower bracket and first love is Hurling), but the problem is selling it to counties similar to that I've already named...I'd be fairly certain that fans of same would have no interest in watching their county in a 'B' competition.

lenny

Quote from: tintin25 on October 21, 2018, 08:23:29 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 20, 2018, 10:58:17 PM

This is pretty much the issue for me, when it comes to these 'middle of the road' counties who have flitted in/out of the top 16 in recent years but who traditionally would have in/around middle to top bracket.  Teams like Armagh, Derry, Meath, Fermanagh, Sligo etc....all major football counties where hurling plays second fiddle.  It's one thing getting the likes of Wicklow ( always in lower bracket) to sign up and the likes of Waterford (again always in lower bracket and first love is Hurling), but the problem is selling it to counties similar to that I've already named...I'd be fairly certain that fans of same would have no interest in watching their county in a 'B' competition.

I totally disagree. At this moment in time a B competition is exactly where derry belong. I'd much rather see us playing in a B semifinal and final than being stuffed by tyrone, monaghan and donegal who are way better than us at the moment. There's no fun in going into games knowing a 10 point plus defeat is the inevitable outcome.

priceyreilly

Quote from: lenny on October 21, 2018, 08:34:14 AM
I totally disagree. At this moment in time a B competition is exactly where derry belong. I'd much rather see us playing in a B semifinal and final than being stuffed by tyrone, monaghan and donegal who are way better than us at the moment. There's no fun in going into games knowing a 10 point plus defeat is the inevitable outcome.

This is the kind of thinking that is prevalent in many discussions currently on our games. It's extremely short sighted and will have major effects on the strength of Gaelic Games in many counties. Yes Derry are struggling right now but it wasn't that long ago when they were at a much higher level. Throwing them into a b competition will not make it any easier to make a recovery. It will make it far harder!
Unless counties make a quick escape from the losers league, they will get trapped in mediocrity with no chance of breaking free. How do teams or individuals get better? They push themselves against superior opposition, learn from it, work harder and try to reach that superior level. In the losers league, that's going to be impossible. The counties in the A competition will push further ahead.
Added to this, the interest in the losers league will be minimal. Supporters won't attend these matches, players will drop off county panels, it will kill Gaelic Football in the counties who've been deemed an inconvenience to the elites.

We know from looking at hurling that this strategy will not work. We also know what will work from looking at hurling! Dublin were minnows in the Leinster hurling championship, never mind at All Ireland level. Huge investment went into that county and they went on to win a provincial championship, a national league and become contenders for an All Ireland. This is what works. You invest in counties with a strategic plan and officers in place to oversee it.
This is what the 'weaker' counties should be pushing for. Stand together and fight for equal funding and fairness in our association. Not meakly surrender to their wishes of having an elite game without the riff raff.