America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2015, 02:21:38 AM
The deranged moron will have no problem buying a gun anyway, no matter how strict gun laws get - anywhere. Heroin and cocaine are illegal but can be got without too much difficulty. My point is that people that wan t to get a weapon and kill people, will anyway.

By that logic, should heroin and cocaine also be legal seeing as people can already get them anywhere.

Whatever about handguns or hunting guns being legal, there's no reason anybody should be able to buy a semi-automatic or other sophisticated guns (apart from the gun companies' need to sell them)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2015, 01:39:49 AM
The gun nuts are happy to live with these mass murders and the everyday background rate of murder as collateral damage of their right to own military - grade assault weapons to "protect" themselves against others with the same access. The rest just don't have the same motivation and basically gave up when Sandy Hook wouldn't even budge the nuts an inch. The lunatics won, and any of us who live in the states could be the victim of some deranged moron who had no problem buying a gun.

The deranged moron will have no problem buying a gun anyway, no matter how strict gun laws get - anywhere. Heroin and cocaine are illegal but can be got without too much difficulty. My point is that people that wan t to get a weapon and kill people, will anyway. Any weapon. Look at that Israeli nut that waded into a gay parade pride with a knife and a 16 yr old girl died. Just released from prison he was and continued on his merry way by attacking the next parade he came across. You d have to ban every possible potential weapon down to lollipop sticks to stop a demon like that. Or lock up every potential prospect.

Guns are freely available anyway - probably almost anywhere.

I betcha no candidate running for President will be silly enough to make this an issue. The USA  evolved because of Europeans using guns to get rid of natives (a genocide) and then protect their land.

A big development on the system that controlled Europe for hundreds of years where a minority of killer thugs (knights/barons/princes/earls) built castles and with the backing of holy men (monks) extorted the majority of the population for centuries. The reason they were able to do this was because they had the weapons and were prepared to use them and made sure the peasants had neither weapons or even the opportunity to hunt/fish for food.

It's always a problem when only the bad guys have access to the better weapons.

How many mass lollipop attacks are there every year? or even mass stabbings?
This is the sort of nonsense argument I cant get my head around.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Crazy argument.

Yes a seriously homicidal and deranged maniac is going to find a way to kill people if need be.

If guns become illegal I'm guaranteeing it will deter a lot of maniacs from taking that final step to getting a gun and actually killing people. The fact it is so easy to get a gun means that we are seeing a greater occurence of these massacres!

theskull1

Crazy that people are blind to that argument
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

A big development on the system that controlled Europe for hundreds of years where a minority of killer thugs (knights/barons/princes/earls) built castles and with the backing of holy men (monks) extorted the majority of the population for centuries. The reason they were able to do this was because they had the weapons and were prepared to use them and made sure the peasants had neither weapons or even the opportunity to hunt/fish for food.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but how is a situation where everyone has the capacity for lethal violence an improvement on one where the state, whether it be feudal lords, the church, or the modern day nation state, has a monopoly on lethal violence?

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on August 27, 2015, 09:30:51 AM
Crazy argument.

Yes a seriously homicidal and deranged maniac is going to find a way to kill people if need be.

If guns become illegal I'm guaranteeing it will deter a lot of maniacs from taking that final step to getting a gun and actually killing people. The fact it is so easy to get a gun means that we are seeing a greater occurence of these massacres!

Add in the factor that people who are not necessarily crazy deranged lunatics can get depressed, angry, scared or whatever and if they have a gun to hand, bad things happen.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: theskull1 on August 27, 2015, 09:43:03 AM
Crazy that people are blind to that argument

+1

I really can't see how anyone could argue against the fact that controlling guns would greatly reduce the murder rate in the US. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that you can prevent every last murder but you can certainly take action to dramatically reduce it.

Denn Forever

It is our 2nd Ammendment right to have guns,

An amendment is a formal or official change made to a law, contract, constitution, or other legal document. It is based on the verb to amend, which means to change. Amendments can add, remove, or update parts of these agreements. They are often used when it is better to change the document than to write a new one.[1]

So it's not set in stone.  I wonder do Americans know this?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

It's not set in stone, but the chances of getting an amendment to the 2nd Amendment at the moment are nil. Not almost nil. Nil.

mikehunt

Look at that Israeli nut that waded into a gay parade pride with a knife and a 16 yr old girl died. Just released from prison he was and continued on his merry way by attacking the next parade he came across. You d have to ban every possible potential weapon down to lollipop sticks to stop a demon like that. Or lock up every potential prospect.

Don't know about the gun laws in Israel but I'm guessing if they were freely available he would have gone with a gun rather than a knife and there would have been more than one person murdered.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: mikehunt on August 27, 2015, 01:01:35 PM
Look at that Israeli nut that waded into a gay parade pride with a knife and a 16 yr old girl died. Just released from prison he was and continued on his merry way by attacking the next parade he came across. You d have to ban every possible potential weapon down to lollipop sticks to stop a demon like that. Or lock up every potential prospect.

Don't know about the gun laws in Israel but I'm guessing if they were freely available he would have gone with a gun rather than a knife and there would have been more than one person murdered.

These things can happen in any country and by any means. It's the level of regularity at which these murders take place in the US that sets it apart.

The Iceman

we can all huff and puff about it as much as we want. The 2nd amendment isn't going to change in this generation or the next. 
people agree that reform is necessary but the reform would target law abiding citizens - not criminals (in their eyes)

It's a screwed up situation. And people die every day because of it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on August 27, 2015, 02:58:14 PM
we can all huff and puff about it as much as we want. The 2nd amendment isn't going to change in this generation or the next. 
people agree that reform is necessary but the reform would target law abiding citizens - not criminals (in their eyes)

People were law abiding when slavery and segregation and lack of women's suffrage were in place. Society evolves moves on and people have to move with it

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2015, 03:18:10 PM

People were law abiding when slavery and segregation and lack of women's suffrage were in place. Society evolves moves on and people have to move with it
I don't disagree with any of that - but most of America does unfortunately
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on August 27, 2015, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2015, 03:18:10 PM

I don't disagree with any of that - but most of America does unfortunately

When it suits them they do. America has become one of the most PC countries in the world. But it's lobby groups, money and influence that shapes their society. So unless you can out lobby the gun lobby, you're fucked.