The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Don't understand all the clamour for Henderson as footballer of the year at all. Mané and TAA far more important for Liverpool this year and more deserving.

He got it for being an English captain that led them to their first title in 30 years.

brokencrossbar1

It's not just what happened on the field. He is a great leader on and off the field and that has been a major factor

BennyCake

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 24, 2020, 06:40:15 PM
It's not just what happened on the field. He is a great leader on and off the field and that has been a major factor

Eh? So if a player was injured for the whole season, but cajoling his team from the sideline, he could still be in the running for POTY?  :o

Two Hands FFS

Is it not alot of journalists voting for it??

I'd pay more attention to the PFA players player of the year.

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2020, 07:00:00 PM

Eh? So if a player was injured for the whole season, but cajoling his team from the sideline, he could still be in the running for POTY?  :o

You're not 'on' the field if you're injured for the whole season surely

BennyCake

Quote from: JoG2 on July 24, 2020, 07:33:17 PM

Yes but my point was, what he does off the field has no bearing on an award like this.

Gabriel_Hurl

Hendo - what a legend - head and shoulders above the rest of the league  :)

brokencrossbar1

On and off the field Benny, someone piss on your chips recently....you're wild narky

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2020, 08:38:46 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 24, 2020, 07:33:17 PM

Yes but my point was, what he does off the field has no bearing on an award like this.
You may contact FWA and tell them.

FWA chair, Carrie Brown, said: "Leadership is intangible and often unquantifiable unless it is inarguable. Jordan Henderson is both the ultimate professional and now a bona fide Liverpool legend. 

"Jordan is a player his team-mates look to on the pitch and who his rivals look up to off it. The voting criteria for the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year is one who leads by precept and example and in this country's darkest moment, Jordan, unprompted, personally rallied club captains to establish #PlayersTogether. 

"Millions of pounds have been raised for the NHS and significantly #PlayersTogether is now an established collective power base for players to engage in campaigns, none more so evident in the ongoing and powerful anti-racism #BlackLivesMatter campaign. He is a truly worthy winner of our award."

Milltown Row2

I think Liverpool fans are very good at understanding great players, they've had so many over the years.

Henderson isn't one and deep down they know that, a leader? Possibly, creative? Definitely not. Hard working? Definitely. Nice guy? Comes across very well.

Surprised he didn't have the under amour on with that pic above.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2020, 11:09:24 PM
I think Liverpool fans are very good at understanding great players, they've had so many over the years.

Henderson isn't one and deep down they know that, a leader? Possibly, creative? Definitely not. Hard working? Definitely. Nice guy? Comes across very well.

He certainly doesn't have the flair or finesse of a Gerrard or Dalglish. But I'll tell you something, you are no dud if you captain a team to a Premier League title after a 30 year void. He must be doing something right. The sum of his parts may not be as much as others, but by god he is an exceptional captain and integral part of that team's success. It can't be denied. De Byrne for eg. is a technically better footballer. But his team finished 20 points behind Liverpool.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: supersub on July 24, 2020, 11:24:51 PM

He certainly doesn't have the flair or finesse of a Gerrard or Dalglish. But I'll tell you something, you are no dud if you captain a team to a Premier League title after a 30 year void. He must be doing something right. The sum of his parts may not be as much as others, but by god he is an exceptional captain and integral part of that team's success. It can't be denied. De Byrne for eg. is a technically better footballer. But his team finished 20 points behind Liverpool.

This year they did but City have certainly dominated the league for years. Reminds of Noble from West Ham
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redzone

Could anyone copy and paste the independent article about all the players Liverpool bought since they last won the league. 1.6 billion it cost

quit yo jibbajabba

supersub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2020, 11:39:31 PM
Quote from: supersub on July 24, 2020, 11:24:51 PM

This year they did but City have certainly dominated the league for years. Reminds of Noble from West Ham

Aye but the award is for this season which is exactly the point.