AIQF Armagh v Monaghan

Started by tonto1888, June 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

It was a typical Armagh performance under Geezer. When he has too much time to rethink and over analyse the game the players are completely stifled and yes we can claim some degree of bad luck but we are our own worst enemies. Well done to Monaghan, the bottom line is we didn't do enough to win the match.

The only consolation was seeing the Tyrone fans walk out of the ground before our match with their tail between their legs after Kerry outclassing them and confirming that the 2021 match was an abberation.

Louther

Few observations on yesterday.

Armagh the most over coached team I've seen. I don't think they play off the cuff bar trying to get the keeper into play. Was in lower hogan behind the Armagh Mgt. Tactics board on hand for discussions between Donaghy, McGeeney and McKeever, same for subs going in. In the first period of extra time, when Armagh had the extra man, Donaghy was telling the players to calm down, flapping his arms as if he was going to take off. What were Armagh doing at this point, playing the ball slowly sideways and backways. Calm down indeed.

The Hawkeye failure could have cost Monaghan. In our seats in real time it looked well inside the post. Everyone said same round us. Umpire on far side never moved a foot to get right angle.

McGeeney trying to give McManus verbals on his first free, from near sideline. What a clown. I did enjoy that O'Neill hit a serious free just after it. Two fine placed ball kickers.

Armagh learned nothing from the Derry game. Man up and never looked like using. They seem to have a reluctance to shoot allowing Monaghan get blocks and bodies back. The Monaghan defending was brillant at times, if a little last ditch but very honest.

Are Monaghan one of the top 4 sides in the country? In reality no, but that where they find themselves. Is there a big performance in them to take a scalp? You just never know.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on July 02, 2023, 10:13:45 AM
It was a typical Armagh performance under Geezer. When he has too much time to rethink and over analyse the game the players are completely stifled and yes we can claim some degree of bad luck but we are our own worst enemies. Well done to Monaghan, the bottom line is we didn't do enough to win the match.

The only consolation was seeing the Tyrone fans walk out of the ground before our match with their tail between their legs after Kerry outclassing them and confirming that the 2021 match was an abberation.

Your second paragraph is quite sad if you're really taking any sort of consolation from that. Same with Tyrone ones taking consolation from our loss

yellowcard

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2023, 10:22:28 AM

Your second paragraph is quite sad if you're really taking any sort of consolation from that. Same with Tyrone ones taking consolation from our loss

It's called banter, they have give out plenty and I think they're well fit to take it.

AustinPowers

Quote from: marty34 on July 02, 2023, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 02, 2023, 08:16:26 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 02, 2023, 07:22:44 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on July 02, 2023, 01:47:08 AM
To all the armagh fans shouting to me as I left the ground today, put that in your pipe and smoke it and breath in for 21 long years

X2. The abuse they gave me and the two kids was pathetic. I can take banter but foul and abusive language crossed the line. Their team is like England and their fans behave the same way. Great to see them bate. Great to see them suffer on pens again.

X3. It makes me wish we'd stayed for the second game. What do they get out of goading children on the way out of a match? I know there are some sound proper GAA fans in their ranks, had plenty round me, but they seem to have way above their fair share of slabbers who are only there to get pissed and get on like tools.
Got home in time to watch the penalties on tv and it made my evening. Great stuff. Especially after their antics during the penalties.

That's the worst thing about big games in Croke Park.

The amount of scumbags who travel on buses and shout and abuse people (especially parents with young kids) before, during and after the game.  Pure scum.

GAA authorities should be breath checking everyone who enters the stadium - over a certain limit, you're not getting in.  That would sort it.

You don't get it at games with crowds of 8,000 but the bandwagon lads/lassies are out in force for the bigger games.

I wouldn't mind paying an extra few quid to cover the costs  of extra staff if it stopped clowns abusing people and, as I say,  young children especially at games.

I would  agree with  that , but when you  have bars at the  back of the stand ,  it kind  of defeats the purpose.  People  can take  a lot of drink  in the time it takes  to play  a double header. Even more so when  one goes to ET and penalties

Hound

Tis a bit odd to read all the praise for Corey and abuse for McGeeney given the game ended level, ET ended level, penalties ended level, and only sudden death penalties finally provided a winner!

Quote from: Orior on July 02, 2023, 07:23:40 AM
Anyone here involved in the punch up in Hill 16? Asking for a Garda friend.

@Score_Beo on Twitter has a vid from the Hill of some scuffles between Monaghan and Armagh supporters. A peroxide Monaghan dude the main protagonist in that short clip. One thing conspicuous by its absence was Gardai

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on July 02, 2023, 10:28:46 AM
Tis a bit odd to read all the praise for Corey and abuse for McGeeney given the game ended level, ET ended level, penalties ended level, and only sudden death penalties finally provided a winner!

Quote from: Orior on July 02, 2023, 07:23:40 AM
Anyone here involved in the punch up in Hill 16? Asking for a Garda friend.

@Score_Beo on Twitter has a vid from the Hill of some scuffles between Monaghan and Armagh supporters. A peroxide Monaghan dude the main protagonist in that short clip. One thing conspicuous by its absence was Gardai

Is it though? Corey is manager of the year given what he has done with limited resources and an ageing side. Geezer had no excuses yesterday it was a cowardly performance by a team stifled by fear of losing rather than trying to win the match. Which just about sums up our entire season. Whatever thinking was done over the winter didn't impress many Armagh supporters. We can take defeat but at least it should be done going out on our swords.

Gaafan2

Genuinely never seen worse behaviour from a set of fans in all my years. On our way out of the ground yesterday ever other set of Armagh 'fans' felt the need to hurl abuse at us. I could take it if it was an isolated incident but unfortunately it wasn't. Grown men who weren't even intoxicated felt the need to remind us of the scoreline, everybody hated Tyrone etc etc.

tonto1888

Quote from: gaafan2 on July 02, 2023, 10:46:52 AM
Genuinely never seen worse behaviour from a set of fans in all my years. On our way out of the ground yesterday ever other set of Armagh 'fans' felt the need to hurl abuse at us. I could take it if it was an isolated incident but unfortunately it wasn't. Grown men who weren't even intoxicated felt the need to remind us of the scoreline, everybody hated Tyrone etc etc.

It is embarrassing but it's hardly the worst behaviour from fans you've ever seen. Let's be honest about it

Schkite

Surely you can see the difference no? It's Vinny's first year as a manager, and he probably only took it on so soon because he didn't want to see Monaghan stuck. In a year where we've been written off at every turn, he's kept us in Division 1 again and now managed us to only our 2nd semi since the 80s. And he's done it while bringing through more youth than previous managers, and handling the transition very well(The way he has managed the likes of Mansy and D Hughes especially has been brilliant)

How long has McGeeney been a manager now? How long has he been over Armagh, and what has he actually achieved after all that time? He's a legend in the county but I wouldn't blame Armagh fans for wondering where the progression is.

tonto1888

Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2023, 10:52:45 AM

Surely you can see the difference no? It's Vinny's first year as a manager, and he probably only took it on so soon because he didn't want to see Monaghan stuck. In a year where we've been written off at every turn, he's kept us in Division 1 again and now managed us to only our 2nd semi since the 80s. And he's done it while bringing through more youth than previous managers, and handling the transition very well(The way he has managed the likes of Mansy and D Hughes especially has been brilliant)

How long has McGeeney been a manager now? How long has he been over Armagh, and what has he actually achieved after all that time? He's a legend in the county but I wouldn't blame Armagh fans for wondering where the progression is.

9 years. When he took over we had just been in an AIQF and lost a tight game. This morning we have just been in an AIQF and lost a tight game. You might say that shows zero progression

Gaafan2

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2023, 10:51:06 AM

It is embarrassing but it's hardly the worst behaviour from fans you've ever seen. Let's be honest about it

Now I know I can't tar all Armagh fans with the same brush but it was honestly the worst behaviour I seen in all my days. The amount of intoxicated men and women before the game even started was scary. Armagh fans with Kerry headbands, wagging their flags and fist pumping at every Kerry score was embarrassing.

tonto1888

Quote from: gaafan2 on July 02, 2023, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2023, 10:51:06 AM

Now I know I can't tar all Armagh fans with the same brush but it was honestly the worst behaviour I seen in all my days. The amount of intoxicated men and women before the game even started was scary. Armagh fans with Kerry headbands, wagging their flags and fist pumping at every Kerry score was embarrassing.

The same way Tyrone one's doing exactly that for Monaghan was embarrassing? Or for other teams Armagh have played over the years when we have been in a double header with Tyrone? I don't disagree but be consistent and call it all out

I seen plenty of intoxicated fans yesterday. They weren't all from Armagh. Do we have idiots in our support? Definitely. We aren't the only ones tho

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: yellowcard on July 02, 2023, 10:26:59 AM

It's called banter, they have give out plenty and I think they're well fit to take it.

At least you finally admit your (many) opinions on Tyrone are "banter" and not proper analysis. That's been obvious for a long time.

As for the game, another tough one to take for Armagh. I'd say McGeeney has done a really good job and built a solid team with wasn't a particularly great set of footballers. Obviously hugely frustrating for the fans to lose a few games now on pens but ultimately he's probably getting very close to the maximum out of that group. Somebody else might be able to kick them on very slightly, but equally they might also drop back, possibly a fair bit.

Massive credit to Monaghan, looked in a bad place a few months ago and reaching an AI semi is a great achievement.

tonto1888

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 02, 2023, 11:11:56 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 02, 2023, 10:26:59 AM

At least you finally admit your (many) opinions on Tyrone are "banter" and not proper analysis. That's been obvious for a long time.

As for the game, another tough one to take for Armagh. I'd say McGeeney has done a really good job and built a solid team with wasn't a particularly great set of footballers. Obviously hugely frustrating for the fans to lose a few games now on pens but ultimately he's probably getting very close to the maximum out of that group. Somebody else might be able to kick them on very slightly, but equally they might also drop back, possibly a fair bit.

Massive credit to Monaghan, looked in a bad place a few months ago and reaching an AI semi is a great achievement.

A balanced take on McGeeney and this team. You could well be right about maximising potential but I'd really like to see us play with a bit more freedom before I fully agree with that