Tyrone's Pascal Mc Connell retires

Started by orangeman, November 24, 2013, 11:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Big Packie has hung them up.

He won many's a match for Tyrone with blinding saves. The one that "sticks" out for me was the 2008 final when he stuck out his big toe and Kerry were denied a certain goal and the game turned on that one save near the end.

Enjoy your retirment big fella.

Wildweasel74

One of the more likable Tyrone lads, most of the old hands starting to drop off now,probably 2nd in the pecking order now and better to let some young blood to come through

OakleafCounty

Put a lot into the game and was well rewarded with medals compared to his older brother. A great keeper and servant to the game and seems like a decent fella.

theticklemister

how did him and his brother work out who was in nets at club level?

supersarsfields

Finbar generally played out the pitch for Newtownstewart.

Fuzzman

I was expecting this alright with the dawning of a new era with young Morgan making such an impact last year. The way the game has changed to dramatically of late, then good tactical kick outs are no longer a luxury.

Packie sure made some fine saves over the years and as such a big imposing man, he sure made the goals look a lot smaller to forwards. Very down to earth lad who would always stop and talk to you.

For some reason the Dubs fans always seem to dislike him and give him a hard time from the Hill. I'd say he'll miss all that side of things but I think he's chosen a good time to call it a day.

Are we expecting any other retirements? Is Conor Gormley the oldest man left now?

CD

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 25, 2013, 11:51:29 AM
I was expecting this alright with the dawning of a new era with young Morgan making such an impact last year. The way the game has changed to dramatically of late, then good tactical kick outs are no longer a luxury.

Packie sure made some fine saves over the years and as such a big imposing man, he sure made the goals look a lot smaller to forwards. Very down to earth lad who would always stop and talk to you.

For some reason the Dubs fans always seem to dislike him and give him a hard time from the Hill. I'd say he'll miss all that side of things but I think he's chosen a good time to call it a day.

Are we expecting any other retirements? Is Conor Gormley the oldest man left now?

Conor is a few weeks older than Stevie O'Neill. Hope we can squeeze another season out of them. Gormley was excellent this year.

Good luck to Packy - I'd say he'll be involved at some level - great servant to Tyrone over the years and a really decent lad as well from a nice family.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Best of luck to Packie, great servant, and has certainly been the difference between the winning and losing of a few crucial encounters over the last decade.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Great fella. Just one of the nicest guys out there. Cheers Packie and enjoy yourself now!

omagh_gael

Good luck in retirement Packy...plenty of great days to look back on.

Gabriel_Hurl

I believe Packie scored the equalizing point in Newton's relegation playoff game yesterday.

Great fella off the field as well

Fuzzman

I see Conor Gormley's wife is expecting twins.
I wonder will that have any impact on Conor's decision to play next year or not.
Is that his first two kids?

He might be glad to get out of the house most evenings now for training.  ;D

rrhf

The secret of gooches eye retires with him.

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 25, 2013, 10:24:09 AM
Finbar generally played out the pitch for Newtownstewart.

Did Declan not spend a few years in goal for NTS also?

regal

best of luck to pascal in his retirement. A great servant to tyrone, an excellent goalkeeper and he seemed a genuinely decent lad and could never be called a cheat (unlike a few of his former teammates)