Paddy Jackson apology

Started by yellowcard, April 06, 2018, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

There are a couple of things have been eating away at me for a few days.

The first one is that if this trial had involved two Leinster or Munster players and we had the same trial outcome in Dublin or Limerick, with the case heard in camera, the public would be none the wiser and you can be sure they would have resumed their careers with barely a word said. This case has certainly made me wonder about sports stars unexplained absences or injuries that last longer than they seemingly should!

The other thing that was eating at me was the incident involving two very high profile Munster players a couple of years ago that saw a video emerge before the story (and video) was buried and the incident swept under the carpet. The same players are lauded now and their morals haven't been discussed or called into question. There was no hint that their activities on the night in question were anything other than consensual I should add.

moysider

Quote from: barelegs on April 17, 2018, 11:06:50 PM

The first one is that if this trial had involved two Leinster or Munster players and we had the same trial outcome in Dublin or Limerick, with the case heard in camera, the public would be none the wiser and you can be sure they would have resumed their careers with barely a word said. This case has certainly made me wonder about sports stars unexplained absences or injuries that last longer than they seemingly should!

The other thing that was eating at me was the incident involving two very high profile Munster players a couple of years ago that saw a video emerge before the story (and video) was buried and the incident swept under the carpet. The same players are lauded now and their morals haven't been discussed or called into question. There was no hint that their activities on the night in question were anything other than consensual I should add.

That is a huge difference though. There was more than a hint of non- consensual in the Ulster case. A girl reported she had been raped and was prepared to go through a terrible trial ordeal, when it would have been easier to walk away.
That is now being forgotten of course and the emphasis is back on the legends and their future careers.
Rugby is a small enough world. I doubt they will have much luck getting a gig anywhere else tbh. French clubs have standards too and Macron is backing reviews about age of consent and consent in general. The Frenchies might be laissez-faire about sex/adultery/ age, but they are not into non-consensual sex - or any hint of it. They are classier than that.

Owen Brannigan

For me it has raised the issue of so called role models especially from sports. Should sports people be expected to be role models? Some are worthy of being such but the vast majority probably do not deserve or need the burden.

Celebrity culture is the curse of our times, bestowing status on those who do not model lifestyles and behaviour that are to be truly valued.

Here in NI we have an airport and soon to be themed hotel named after a domestic abusing, alcoholic. What would be the outcry if a name change was to be suggested?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 17, 2018, 10:59:27 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2018, 10:50:20 PM
Not sure there is anything more to say here
Let's see how many more links seafoid can post before it gets shutdown.

I hope you read all of those ;D

haranguerer

Quote from: moysider on April 18, 2018, 01:30:14 AM

That is a huge difference though. There was more than a hint of non- consensual in the Ulster case. A girl reported she had been raped and was prepared to go through a terrible trial ordeal, when it would have been easier to walk away.
That is now being forgotten of course and the emphasis is back on the legends and their future careers.
Rugby is a small enough world. I doubt they will have much luck getting a gig anywhere else tbh. French clubs have standards too and Macron is backing reviews about age of consent and consent in general. The Frenchies might be laissez-faire about sex/adultery/ age, but they are not into non-consensual sex - or any hint of it. They are classier than that.

I really wish people would stop coming out with this (highlighted) - it really doesn't reflect well on anyone who utters it. The implication is that we should believe each and every accusation, because someone went to the trouble of making it. Ludicrous.

Asal Mor

Agree with that haranguerer.
I also don't think Moysider, that the absence of contract offers has got anything to with anyone being classy. It's about the inevitable backlash that would result and the knowledge that it  would be corporate suicide. Use of the term "non-consensual" as though it was fact is Syferus style debating.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 18, 2018, 09:12:21 AM
Agree with that haranguerer.
I also don't think Moysider, that the absence of contract offers has got anything to with anyone being classy. . Use of the term "non-consensual" as though it was fact is Syferus style debating.

"It's about the inevitable backlash that would result and the knowledge that it  would be corporate suicide" is about not being classy
The brands of the 2 boys are tainted.
Never playing again for Ireland is a huge sanction for such players.
Nobody benefited from this .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

I disagree, there's a few who got a lot of retweets and gained many more followers out of it - which is exactly what they wanted, so they benefited.

seafoid

Quote from: haranguerer on April 18, 2018, 10:18:58 AM
I disagree, there's a few who got a lot of retweets and gained many more followers out of it - which is exactly what they wanted, so they benefited.
Nobody involved in the activity on the night benefited. The whole thing was toxic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

Of course - I'm just drawing attention to the motivations of some others

magpie seanie

Quote from: haranguerer on April 18, 2018, 09:02:04 AM
Quote from: moysider on April 18, 2018, 01:30:14 AM

I really wish people would stop coming out with this (highlighted) - it really doesn't reflect well on anyone who utters it. The implication is that we should believe each and every accusation, because someone went to the trouble of making it. Ludicrous.

No - that's not the implication. It's actually pretty clear - a clearly accepted consensual act is vastly different to one where one party maintains there was not consent.

Coupled with the boasting text messages when - let's be honest - they had to know that at the very least the girl was very upset leaving the house and in the taxi, shows the legend up pretty badly.

Any sympathy for these guys is misplaced even if you believe what happened in the room was 100% consensual.

haranguerer

This isn't anything to do with sympathy for them, or what anyone believes happened in the room.

I can only assume from your response you didn't read the post properly? I'm referring to the bit I've highlighted. Otherwise your post makes no sense whatsoever, as it doesn't seem to follow from mine.

Milltown Row2

275 pages and counting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 11:56:21 AM

275 pages and counting

Would be interesting to see who had the most posts in those 275 pages.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 18, 2018, 11:57:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 11:56:21 AM

275 pages and counting

Would be interesting to see who had the most posts in those 275 pages.

Syf/Sid.... seeing as they are the same  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea