26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

An Watcher

How will these weather conditions affect the vote tomorrow? No doubt the turn out will be down but would there be any particular winners from sonething like less old people heading out to vote

marty34

Quote from: An Watcher on February 07, 2020, 08:46:50 PM
How will these weather conditions affect the vote tomorrow? No doubt the turn out will be down but would there be any particular winners from sonething like less old people heading out to vote

I don't think it'll have any bearing - people will vote regardless of the weather.  People will go shopping and will vote on way back etc.

More interesting point is, in my opinion, is would today, Friday, as polling day have made any difference in turnout?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: marty34 on February 07, 2020, 09:00:51 PM

I don't think it'll have any bearing - people will vote regardless of the weather.  People will go shopping and will vote on way back etc.

More interesting point is, in my opinion, is would today, Friday, as polling day have made any difference in turnout?

Difficult to say. We will never know.

macdanger2

Saturday voting in other countries hasn't shown a higher turnout apparently

marty34

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on February 07, 2020, 09:11:21 PM

Difficult to say. We will never know.

That's true.

OgraAnDun

FF/FG coalition with Coveney as Foreign Minister?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 07, 2020, 09:38:46 PM
FF/FG coalition with Coveney as Foreign Minister?

With Dana in the big job.

LooseCannon

Has anyone else noticed that Alan Dillon used MacHale Park for a piece in one of his videos, while he also used the Mayo GAA crest in a graphic that I saw recently online?

I'm pretty sure that both would be a breach of some sort of GAA rules, no?

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 07, 2020, 06:25:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 07, 2020, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 07, 2020, 03:03:39 PM
Assuming FF lead the next govt, who will replace Coveney at Foreign Affairs?

Coveney has done a good job imo and will be a loss

Coveney will undoubtedly be a loss, himself and Varadkar in fairness are two very capable politicians. His problem was the likes of Flanagan, Murphy & Harris and it was no coincidence that they were largely hidden away during the campaign. I can't think of too many great minds in FF that will make up a formidable front bench and I think it will need new politicians to emerge from the shadows. Micheal Martin has been at the front and centre of most of their campaign, a lot of their shadow ministers have not been very visible either.

Agreed on Flanagan and Murphy but I think Harris is okay, the health dept is the most difficult job going and the sláintecare plan at least seems to have cross party support which is the right idea (whether it's the right plan or not remains to be seen)
Yep, but the leading lights in FG have to shoulder the blame for running such a poor campaign. The economic success they've had has almost been ignored. The fact that anyone who wants a job has a job, is taken for granted. And that health and housing is just hard to solve. Look around the world. 

Then the shinners have taken huge leafs out of the Trump and Brexit campaigns. Truth irrelevant. Peddle populist ideas and there's a big cohort of the population just lap it up.

The poor oul Greens I feel sorry for. To vote for them you not only need to have the environment front and centre, but you need to be intelligent. Intelligent enough to realize there'll be some small cost. Unlike the shinners, they count on sense rather than pure populism. Hopefully the polls underestimate how well they'll do.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2020, 01:37:39 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 07, 2020, 06:25:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 07, 2020, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 07, 2020, 03:03:39 PM
Assuming FF lead the next govt, who will replace Coveney at Foreign Affairs?

Coveney has done a good job imo and will be a loss

Coveney will undoubtedly be a loss, himself and Varadkar in fairness are two very capable politicians. His problem was the likes of Flanagan, Murphy & Harris and it was no coincidence that they were largely hidden away during the campaign. I can't think of too many great minds in FF that will make up a formidable front bench and I think it will need new politicians to emerge from the shadows. Micheal Martin has been at the front and centre of most of their campaign, a lot of their shadow ministers have not been very visible either.

Agreed on Flanagan and Murphy but I think Harris is okay, the health dept is the most difficult job going and the sláintecare plan at least seems to have cross party support which is the right idea (whether it's the right plan or not remains to be seen)
Yep, but the leading lights in FG have to shoulder the blame for running such a poor campaign. The economic success they've had has almost been ignored. The fact that anyone who wants a job has a job, is taken for granted. And that health and housing is just hard to solve. Look around the world. 

Then the shinners have taken huge leafs out of the Trump and Brexit campaigns. Truth irrelevant. Peddle populist ideas and there's a big cohort of the population just lap it up.

The poor oul Greens I feel sorry for. To vote for them you not only need to have the environment front and centre, but you need to be intelligent. Intelligent enough to realize there'll be some small cost. Unlike the shinners, they count on sense rather than pure populism. Hopefully the polls underestimate how well they'll do.

Spot on about the shinners pure populism. Total crap about the greens tho, they've had a free media campaign going for the last 5 years were every natural disaster gets framed within the scope of their paradigm, if the could connect with people at all they'd be pulling g in the votes but they cant cos they think that every1 should think and feel the same way as they do

Downtothewire

Quote from: LooseCannon on February 07, 2020, 11:48:41 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Alan Dillon used MacHale Park for a piece in one of his videos, while he also used the Mayo GAA crest in a graphic that I saw recently online?

Typical of the blue shirts. Sure didn't Seán Kelly use his presidency status to get elected to EU. Ban the both of them

whitey

Every photo I saw of Dara Calleary, he was wearing a Mayo GAA jacket. Maybe we should address that too

Shamrock Shore

Vote cast. Only went to 5 on the ballot paper.

Exit polls at 10. Didn't see anyone outside my polling station.

From the Bunker

Went as far as 4!

15 candidates is to much choice!

Farrandeelin

You'd imagine the crest one would be. Voted 1-4 myself. Roll on tomorrow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.