The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Tight match in which the ref came in for a bit of criticism. Sheffield United could very easily have had two players sent off in the first half. Thought a draw - which would probably have been the fairest result - was nailed on until the keeper's mistake. I'll take it.

The injury to Cooper looked bad and leaves a huge hole in the defence. Halme replaced him in defence and I thought looked quite assured until he made a terrible error on a straightforward clearance and was bailed out by the keeper. Speaking of the keeper, he made a couple of good saves but is very unsure under the high ball. We need cover there. Alioski is playing terribly and was replaced by Clark who looked very promising. The best player on the pitch was Philips.

First win at Bramall Lane since that famous day in May 1992 and things definitely looking up, but really think there has to be further investment if these injuries are not to take a toll that is fatal to the chances of promotion.

seafoid

Despite the wobble and the injuries Leeds are one point off the top and 4 points ahead of the next best placed team.
Not bad. I am sure fans would have taken that last August.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

We are not quite at the half way stage but to put together four wins in a row, with only one goal conceded, coming up to the Christmas period is excellent form. What is probably even more impressive is that the results have been achieved with a long injury list, with Shackleton coming in as effectively the fourth choice right back yesterday and reportedly having a stormer. Bielsa has a very well drilled squad, the players stick to a plan and the points are being steadiy gathered. They are grinding out performances, rather than blowing teams away, and Leeds fans are well used to seeing promising positions fade away, but the omens are alll good and it is largely down to an outstanding manager.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 09, 2018, 10:36:09 PM
We are not quite at the half way stage but to put together four wins in a row, with only one goal conceded, coming up to the Christmas period is excellent form. What is probably even more impressive is that the results have been achieved with a long injury list, with Shackleton coming in as effectively the fourth choice right back yesterday and reportedly having a stormer. Bielsa has a very well drilled squad, the players stick to a plan and the points are being steadiy gathered. They are grinding out performances, rather than blowing teams away, and Leeds fans are well used to seeing promising positions fade away, but the omens are alll good and it is largely down to an outstanding manager.
with the pts we have now only one of the last 16 teams in similar position haven't gone up
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 09, 2018, 10:36:09 PM

Yes, things are indeed looking up, but I'll confess that - as many self-respecting Leeds' fans will do - I can't help but look at the half empty glass sitting on the table.

We are experiencing an incredible amount of injuries and I'm convinced they will impact sooner rather than later, particularly given the sahllow nature of our squad. As an example (and sorry to sound like a broken record), we lost Jamal Blackman recently which leaves BPF as undisputed number one, and he is not a keeper who fills me with confidence.

With Bielsa, we have a world class coach, and it is clear he is doing an awful lot to keep things going. However he has already said that he cannot see us making any additions in the transfer window and that would be a real concern, given the injuries.     

Mourne Rover

Paddy Power now has Leeds at 8/15 to go up but long suffering fans will recall previous sudden and dramatic reversals of fortune. As recently as 2016/17, the club had been in the top three or four for practically the entire season, and looked nailed on for the play-offs, with even a late run for automatic promotion not out of the question. Instead, a couple of poor results  as well as a spate of injuries and suspensions, resulted in an eventual collapse to seventh place. It is difficult to see Bielsa allowing a repetition but a modest investment in January could take us a long way.

Billys Boots

Jaysus, this much positivity can only end one way ...  :o
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Denn Forever

Mullaneacta won so miracle can happen.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 11, 2018, 09:34:17 AM
Jaysus, this much positivity can only end one way ...  :o

;D

My Leeds' positivity always gives me negative vibes!!    :-\

Mourne Rover

Leeds have had a favourable run of fixtures, and are certainly not playing sparkling football, but five wins in a row with only one goal conceded is very impressive form coming up to Christmas. It has also been achieved with a long list of unavailable players, with the latest, Saiz, a talented but erratic figure, heading back to Spain for the rest of the season. The trip to Villa this day week is a massive one, and marks the half way point of the season, but all the pressure is on them while a draw would suit Leeds nicely. What gives confidence is the total belief the entire squad has in Bielsa and his methods.

Mourne Rover

Elderly Leeds fans need to check their blood pressure these days as Bielsa has turned us into an indomitable outfit. Two down after 15 minutes away to a club with a massive budget, a long injury list stretched further with Bamford dropping out this morning and Douglas taking ill in the warm-up, and a hiding looking on the cards - not a problem in the end with Roofe's 95th minute winner climaxing a tremendous comeback. It's still only half way through the league, and every Leeds season generally has a calamity at some stage, but the quality of the younger players coming through mixed with the huge improvement among the established figures can take us a long way.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 23, 2018, 07:03:07 PM
Elderly Leeds fans need to check their blood pressure these days as Bielsa has turned us into an indomitable outfit. Two down after 15 minutes away to a club with a massive budget, a long injury list stretched further with Bamford dropping out this morning and Douglas taking ill in the warm-up, and a hiding looking on the cards - not a problem in the end with Roofe's 95th minute winner climaxing a tremendous comeback. It's still only half way through the league, and every Leeds season generally has a calamity at some stage, but the quality of the younger players coming through mixed with the huge improvement among the established figures can take us a long way.

You are not wrong!!

Watched today's game on the red button on Sky and my heart rate has still not returned to normal.

Dominated the game but could not put Blackburn away and when we conceded in the 89th minute I felt sure we were goosed. However 'indomitable' is the word as we came rushing back in the closing minutes to snatch the points with two injury time goals.

The team is playing well, with confidence, and the young players coming in are doing the business, to help negate the impact of a worrying injury list. However I thought Peacock-Farrell was culpable for their second today, from a long range free-kick, and it is one area that needs looked at. I note we are being linked with Karl Darlow of Newcastle United, so it suggests that the issue has been recognised. 

Mourne Rover

This is a marathon division, and with 22 games left anything can still happen, but there can be no doubt that Bielsa's seven consecutive wins have steered the club into a strong position. We know that we could just as easily have had seven draws, and several of the recent matches could even have been lost, but a run like that does not happen by accident, and we have a squad which never panics, knows it will finish games strongly and has total belief in its manager and his his methods. While there are still questions over the keeper and the quality of the bench, long suffering Leeds fans are entitled to enjoy the last few weeks while accepting that tougher times lie ahead.