The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

That's not remotely what hes saying. His standalone point is entirely valid without linking it to any other situation. Why do you struggle with that....and what part of his comment do you disagree with??

Angelo

Quote from: bannside on December 26, 2019, 03:31:29 PM
That's not remotely what hes saying. His standalone point is entirely valid without linking it to any other situation. Why do you struggle with that....and what part of his comment do you disagree with??

Because it doesn't bear context into the current situation, it's not local government issues we are talking about. Which bit of that do you not understand?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on December 26, 2019, 10:25:28 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 26, 2019, 09:10:37 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 25, 2019, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 24, 2019, 02:53:50 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 24, 2019, 01:58:24 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 24, 2019, 01:03:49 PM
I am very happy for the Irish language to be protected. There are steps that be taken to encourage it. That is not the same as saying we must have a stand alone carte blanche act. And it's not the same as saying we cannot address any other problem until the ILA is agreed.

This issue has been on the go since the GFA. Exactly how long do you propose the allow the DUP ensure there are no signs of Taigs  about the place?

I'll start with some things I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't run away from executive responsibilities now. This place needs government. Either do your job or piss off and let someone else do it. In essence I would not make ILA a precondition of addressing other problems.

Secondly I would not set a deadline in isolation by which an ILA has to be place. The content of the act is more important than its title so anything that focuses on the title in isolation should be dismissed for the childishness that it is.

As for what I would do.

I would work towards publishing a detailed draft of the bill. This would be done to prove the reasonableness and feasibility of its provisions. Move the debate on from the title. Expose any unreasonable opposition to the Act and simultaneously expose unreasonable demands for what should be in it.

In essence break away from the idiocy that SF and DUP provide today and actually govern this place

How do you break away from the idiocy of the DUP
Things like the above. Work with the idiots who are elected, expose their idiocy but don't match or mirror it
when they are the majority party in the state?
No they are not
As long as the unionist electorate keep returning the DUP then forming a government is impossible from a nationalist viewpoint.

We all have the same responsibility to make this place governable

How do you work with the DUP though? How do you work with Arlene? We've all seen their casual bigotry at every turn, we've seen their indifference to corruption and scandals with the RHI.

As long as the unionists keep returning the DUP, the north will remain ungovernable.

They are the majority party in the state, plain and simple, power sharing cannot work without them and it won't work with them either.

Firstly you decide that running away solves nothing for the people of NI.

You work with Arlene and DUP by doing exactly that - turning up for work. Do your work well and resist any urge for bigotry and corruption (probably best to examine each party's track record on these fronts). By all means the bigotry and corruption of others. Always make sure your own hands are clean.

Nationalism and Unionism each have a responsibility to make sure NI is governable. Nationalists have the greater motivation for obvious reasons.

Power sharing is here for ever. The only people with an interest in it not working are those who despise their child and grand.

DUP are not a majority party. Plain and simple.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on December 26, 2019, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on December 26, 2019, 11:26:00 AM
SF and DUP can work quite well together when they are dishing out money to their pet projects and cronies at local government and council level, let's not fool ourselves

So you're saying that SF should go back in and be lackeys for the DUP?

It would be hugely depressing if we were lulled into the absolute stupidity of thinking that to share power with DUP was to become their lackey.

With a fair wind and a bit of proper scrutiny we can get beyond this SF/DUP duopoly. These parties need to be exposed. Don't run away from them. Run towards them armed with a torch

Snapchap

A bad week for Colum Eastwood. First off he failed to live up to his election promise to "Stop Brexit", and now two of his MLA's have been busy making a mockery of his big FF link up.

Claire Hanna, who opposed the FF link up and who shortly afterwards appeared at the Labour Party Conference, and who has in the past been pictured on the canvass trail for Labour, and regularly speaks of her support for Labour, was out canvassing this week for...you guessed it....Neale Richmond and Emer Currie of the blueshirts.

And then we have Pat Catney MLA who has been busy tweeting about his canvassing efforts on behalf of Aodhan O'Riordan of Labour.

Lest we forget that not long after his big FF link up was announced, his former party leader actually stood in the European elections for FG.

Laughable.

RedHand88

Terrible election for the SDLP. They seemed to back every house but the winning one.

Applesisapples

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 10, 2020, 07:37:06 PM
Terrible election for the SDLP. They seemed to back every house but the winning one.
And not one SDLP candidate elected....oops wait!!!

TheOptimist

Quote from: Snapchap on February 03, 2020, 02:34:33 PM
A bad week for Colum Eastwood. First off he failed to live up to his election promise to "Stop Brexit", and now two of his MLA's have been busy making a mockery of his big FF link up.

Claire Hanna, who opposed the FF link up and who shortly afterwards appeared at the Labour Party Conference, and who has in the past been pictured on the canvass trail for Labour, and regularly speaks of her support for Labour, was out canvassing this week for...you guessed it....Neale Richmond and Emer Currie of the blueshirts.

And then we have Pat Catney MLA who has been busy tweeting about his canvassing efforts on behalf of Aodhan O'Riordan of Labour.

Lest we forget that not long after his big FF link up was announced, his former party leader actually stood in the European elections for FG.

Laughable.

But credit where it is due he did manage to "stop Boris"....No?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 11, 2020, 10:52:39 AM

"Not a bullet, not an ounce"  .......oops wait !!!

Chief

Quote from: Jim Bob on February 11, 2020, 10:24:18 PM

Applesisapples - Want some Aloe Vera for that?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Chief on February 11, 2020, 10:38:26 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on February 11, 2020, 10:24:18 PM

Applesisapples - Want some Aloe Vera for that?
Not really that's an issue for the Shinners, in my view decommissioning was the right thing to do.

imtommygunn

What happened in Fermanagh and Tyrone council meeting? I see sdlp politicians apologising left right and centre on twitter but I can't seem to see what about. Looks like something relating to Omagh bombing?

Rois

Their councillors supported a motion to oppose the extradition of one of the Omagh Bomb accused to Lithuania to answer charges relating to buying arms for the Real IRA.
Think they were all rapped on the knuckles by Colm.

It was a council motion with no implications.

Rossfan

Fermanagh South Tyrone Council haven't a very big role in Extradition right enough :D.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rois on July 09, 2020, 08:24:02 PM
Their councillors supported a motion to oppose the extradition of one of the Omagh Bomb accused to Lithuania to answer charges relating to buying arms for the Real IRA.
Think they were all rapped on the knuckles by Colm.

It was a council motion with no implications.

Ah - thanks. I couldn't  see what they had done.