Robert Dunlop killed in North West 200

Started by ExiledGael, May 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

nothing to do with his control of the bike rav. id go so far as to say that very few would have better control of a bike than robert dunlop. it seems that the bike seized and threw him over the handlebars, not much he could do about it and could have happened to anyone.

RIP Robert.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Rav67

I'm sure you're right I wouldn't know much about racing really, it just seemed very old to me to still be racing bikes on open road.  Is it the norm to continue at it so long?  I read Joey died at 48 too.

Over the Bar

Unlike the Dunlop brothers, Ray McCullough knew when to call it a day and is still alive as a result.  You only have so many lives and to continue competing at this level of danger when well into your 40's is sheer madness.  RIP

girt_giggler

As i expected, the North West goes ahead as planned tomorrow.

RIP Robert

Hardy

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 15, 2008, 11:29:20 PMI was just thinking when the wee lads a year older next year to take him up.

Could I respectfully suggest that you don't? I don't believe it's a good idea to glamourise motorbikes to young lads. As a parent of two boys and a brother-in-law of a fatal motorbike crash victim, one of my worst nightmares was that they would ever get interested in bikes, so I quietly kept bikes out of their consciousness as much as possible when they were growing up. Thankfully, neither has the slightest interest now.

Condolences to the Dunlop family.

ziggysego

I'm disappointed that the organisers saw fit to continue with the NW200 this weekend. Surely last night's accident should have been an eye opened, if only for the immediate future.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

I was just checking out motorbike accident rates there. According to Wiki, 2004 figures from the Department for Transport in the UK indicate that motorcycles have 121 deaths or serious injuries per 100 million vehicle kilometres.

It's probably reasonable to assume that an average biker would travel at least 100,000 kilometres in his biking lifetime. That would suggest a death or serious injury rate of 121 per 1,000 motorcyclists, or 12.1% ! You have approximately one chance in nine of being killed or seriously injured if you're a regular motorbike user. I can't think of another activity with such a high risk rate - even in sports where the prime intent is to injure your opponent or in intuitively dangerous activities like flying, sky-diving, deep sea diving, mountaineering, etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Over the Bar

QuoteI was just thinking when the wee lads a year older next year to take him up.

Perhaps to give him a sense of realism instead of fantasy you should also take him to the neuro ward of the Royal and show him the young men who are now vegetables as a result of choosing road-racing as a sport. 

Maguire01

Quote from: ziggysego on May 16, 2008, 11:37:31 AM
I'm disappointed that the organisers saw fit to continue with the NW200 this weekend. Surely last night's accident should have been an eye opened, if only for the immediate future.

Not that i'm a fan, or have any interest at all in the sport, but surely Robert Dunlop would have wanted the race to go ahead, no? Is it really inappropriate to go ahead with it?

haranguerer

I'm surprised if anyone on here thought the races would be called off. As seen from these messages, fatalities are a large part of road-racing - the NW organisers would be well aware that there is every likelihood of a fatality each year. If these events were called off when someone dies there would be no need to ban them, everyone would be that pissed off at never getting to watch/participate, they'd take up another sport.

Another thing, I was wondering if the reluctance to place restrictions or ban road racing in the north at least, would have anything to do with the fact that its a feather in the cap of 'norn irn' - any protests would be mainly from one side of the community, and it could become quite the political hot potato. I'm not trying to introduce a political agenda, it was just something I was thinking about why there is never much mention of whether or not it should be banned in the wider media, while on forums like these its the main issue.
Btw, I've been to the nw and other road races quite a few times, would have had messed about on bikes etc, and can understand both sides to an extent. What I can't understand is knowing how much anguish and worry you are causing those closest to you, and doing it anyway. In that sport, you have no control over too many elements. Another poster was questioning roberts age, but at 48 experience would have made him lower risk. What he couldn't control was his bike seizing, in the same way the other rider couldn't control the fact that a bike seized in front of him and he had nowhere to go but into it.

Fluffy Che

May he rest in peace..

Very sad, met him once and he'd plenty of time for the chat, photographs etc. A real gent, much like his brother.

The personal tragedy to the wider family circle must be powerful.

l think its time for it to stop now and begin a closed circuit (safer) campaign. Maybe the Maze...
Midnight to Six..

Evil Genius

In the end, Robert Dunlop knew the dangers better than any of us and still chose to continue. (In fact, am I correct in thinking that his son or sons are also racers?). In which case, I'm sure the last thing his family needs right now is non-racing enthusiasts, however well-intentioned, telling them how "mad" or "irresponsible" etc he was.

And whilst I would never have anything to do with road-racing, and would hope to dissuade my nearest and dearest from ever getting involved, I feel that so long as the sport is properly regulated, we just have to accept other peoples right to continue, from a Libertarian point of view.

In fact, if I'm truly honest, for all that I disapprove of the consequences, a part of me admires their courage and is even a little envious of them, since they must be getting an enormous thrill out of it for them to continue in the face of such enormous risks.

In the end, I'd rather have young people getting their kicks from regulated activities like racing or boxing, no matter how hazardous, than joyriding or drugs etc.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

BennyHarp

Quotel think its time for it to stop now and begin a closed circuit (safer) campaign. Maybe the Maze...

Now that sounds like an idea!
That was never a square ball!!

wherefromreferee?

I can remember being in Casement Park when the news of Joeys crash reverberated around the ground and I thought to myself then that maybe Robert would decide to call it a day.  When he did eventually retire in 2004 I was delighted, and although I was never going to be able to see him ride again at the NW, I was happy for his family that he did.  Now, 4 yrs later, I cant help but feel for his family, especially Louise, who now have to go through the absolute heartache of losing a husband (and a father).

R.I.P Robert
In your Endo!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on May 16, 2008, 11:36:08 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 15, 2008, 11:29:20 PMI was just thinking when the wee lads a year older next year to take him up.

Could I respectfully suggest that you don't? I don't believe it's a good idea to glamourise motorbikes to young lads. As a parent of two boys and a brother-in-law of a fatal motorbike crash victim, one of my worst nightmares was that they would ever get interested in bikes, so I quietly kept bikes out of their consciousness as much as possible when they were growing up. Thankfully, neither has the slightest interest now.

Condolences to the Dunlop family.

I understand what your saying Hardy however a good friend of mine has a motorbike  and he has two young lads he told me that he is going to buy a bike for the lads  when they were old enough to ride one.Like you i was suprised and enquired as to why and his answer was that he used a bike all his life and if driven correctly and properly  biking can be great fun. I suppose its like everthing it depends how fast you go if you have a big powerfull bike which can reach speeds of 170 to 200 miles per hour and you drive them that quickly then of course you likehood of Dying is going to be high however if you keep within the limits and are fully geared up then you should be ok. 

Also condolences to the dunlop family
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001