The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

West Wing went downhill rapidly once Sorkin and Rob Lowe left. Alan Alda redeemed it a bit as Vinick in the final two seasons.

Anyone who doesn't think the Wire is the greatest TV show every is just flat out wrong. Sorry.

BennyHarp

Quote from: shark on September 06, 2018, 02:43:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 06, 2018, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 09:58:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 07:56:43 AM
The wife turned round to me on Sunday, out of the blue, and said she wanted to start watching the Wire. I've been trying to persuade her for years with no success all I'm delighted. It's a good few years since I watched it through. We'll finish S1 tonight!

The thing I always remember about watching season 1 was that the first time I watched I found it really difficult to understand the dialogue and I had to watch the first 4 or 5 episodes twice. I could then understand it perfectly. A couple of years ago I finally convinced my wife to watch it and she had the exact same problem whereas I was fine despite having not watched an episode in years. I always find that strange because I'd have no problem with the dialogue if I went to watch again tomorrow

To me it's the second best tv series ever made and in the words of Kevin Keegan that's the most praise you can give anything.

What's your best, The Wire is still my number 1.

Also.

+1 Still top of my list. The way they built up the characters in the show was just superb. You found yourself rooting for nearly all of them. Best of the lot...Senator Clay Davis. Sheeeeeeit!!   ;D
That was never a square ball!!

mrdeeds

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 06, 2018, 06:41:39 PM
Quote from: shark on September 06, 2018, 02:43:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 06, 2018, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 09:58:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 07:56:43 AM
The wife turned round to me on Sunday, out of the blue, and said she wanted to start watching the Wire. I've been trying to persuade her for years with no success all I'm delighted. It's a good few years since I watched it through. We'll finish S1 tonight!

The thing I always remember about watching season 1 was that the first time I watched I found it really difficult to understand the dialogue and I had to watch the first 4 or 5 episodes twice. I could then understand it perfectly. A couple of years ago I finally convinced my wife to watch it and she had the exact same problem whereas I was fine despite having not watched an episode in years. I always find that strange because I'd have no problem with the dialogue if I went to watch again tomorrow

To me it's the second best tv series ever made and in the words of Kevin Keegan that's the most praise you can give anything.

What's your best, The Wire is still my number 1.

Also.

+1 Still top of my list. The way they built up the characters in the show was just superb. You found yourself rooting for nearly all of them. Best of the lot...Senator Clay Davis. Sheeeeeeit!!   ;D

Wasn't a fan. Loved season 4 and that was it. Breaking Bad or Sopranos the best ever.

David McKeown

I agree about the West Wing but similarly season 5 of the Wire is a little too proposterorus for me.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

lenny

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 06:31:53 PM
West Wing went downhill rapidly once Sorkin and Rob Lowe left. Alan Alda redeemed it a bit as Vinick in the final two seasons.

Anyone who doesn't think the Wire is the greatest TV show every is just flat out wrong. Sorry.

Totally agree, what a show. It took a while to get used to the accent and slang but watching with subtitles helped at the start. So many great characters who you could empathise and sympathise with.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 07:06:21 PM
I agree about the West Wing but similarly season 5 of the Wire is a little too proposterorus for me.

Yeah, season 5 was crap.  Wasn't wild about season 2 either.

Carnivale is another excellent show, but was unfortunately canceled after two seasons.  The two seasons do stand alone though, so you can watch it without feeling like you're not going to get some kind of resolution.

Main Street

I downloaded the remastered dvds  of The Wire some time ago but haven't gotten round to watch it, it's a must do rather than a should do that.
There have been many excellent tv dramas since, but The Wire has remained peerless, it's in another class, it's "Shakespearean".

stephenite

Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 04:36:38 PM
For me it's the West Wing. Just

Same. I loved the Wire too but they are completely different.

If Ozark keeps it up I might have to to reconsider, superb

Dinny Breen

Quote from: stephenite on September 07, 2018, 10:05:00 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 04:36:38 PM
For me it's the West Wing. Just

Same. I loved the Wire too but they are completely different.

If Ozark keeps it up I might have to to reconsider, superb

Not sure about Ozark S2 - too many plot leaps for my liking.
#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

Wire - best ever

Currently looking at

Get Shorty (with Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano) - brilliant first season
Atlanta (with Donald Glover) - very funny, but uneven
Barry (with Bill Hader and The Fonz) - hidden gem, I'd recommend it, bingeworthy.

easytiger95

BTW the second season of Fargo is up there with the best TV ever made.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Main Street on September 07, 2018, 12:00:35 AM
I downloaded the remastered dvds  of The Wire some time ago but haven't gotten round to watch it, it's a must do rather than a should do that.
There have been many excellent tv dramas since, but The Wire has remained peerless, it's in another class, it's "Shakespearean".

The last series was a drag though.

Currently navigating my way through the US Fffice, while not in the same class suspense/drama wise, its fair funny and cringey

Gabriel_Hurl

gallsman