Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

magpie seanie

Quote from: LeoMc on May 30, 2018, 11:33:45 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 30, 2018, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: longballin on May 30, 2018, 10:31:10 AM
Euthanasia a whole separate issue, should be separate thread.
Meanwhile Fr Patrick McCafferty says he'll protest outside abortion clinics and giving out at Yes voters who get married in a church while Newry priest Damien Quigley warned a couple that advocating Yes vote could mean their wedding not taking place in a Catholic Church. These celibates in dresses still think they hold some moral authority after the church scandals still emerging. 

The amusing thing is that these dinosaurs still don't get it. You had the bishop during the week telling Catholics who voted 'Yes' to go to confession - completely oblivious to the message that the fear and threat approach is as dead as John Cleese's parrot and failing to notice that that is the reason so many of his 'flock' voted as they did.

Now you have this idiot priest trying the same approach and not noticing the expired parrot status of the clericalism that kept the feet of likes of him on the throats of the people for centuries.

I think they're waiting to be told to get out of our lives, failing to understand that they're no longer in our lives, nor even in the lives of the believers they purport to lead. As far as I can see, believing Catholics are listening to their consciences these days and not to these reactionary apologists for centuries of intimidation, abuse, contempt, loathing and simple disrespect of their fellow human beings.
It is still their club and if you want in you play by their rules.
If you don't believe in the Church don't go to it for a church wedding. There are plenty of places will do civil ceremonies.

1) Not all priests and clergy believe or agree with the bullshit the likes of Doran and co come out with. 
2) There are two people involved in a marriage who may have different beliefs.
3) They don't even adhere to their own rules themselves. Leaving aside the scandals I don't see the bit in the bible about accumulating and hoarding wealth being a path to eternal life though I seem to remember something kind of opposite to that...

By excluding people these morons are guaranteeing their own extinction. I just hope the wealth at their disposal is put to good use to help the poor and the needy as they continue to downsize.

Syferus

The de-catholicisation of Ireland by itself has been such an incredible positive for society over the last twenty years. This country has modernised itself at an incredible rate.

seafoid

Meanwhile Fr Patrick McCafferty says he'll protest outside abortion clinics and giving out at Yes voters who get married in a church while Newry priest Damien Quigley warned a couple that advocating Yes vote could mean their wedding not taking place in a Catholic Church. These celibates in dresses still think they hold some moral authority after the church scandals still emerging.
Churches may have to be nationalised.
A few mass rocks could be jazzed up for use by any priest who wants to roll back the years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

The amusing thing is that these dinosaurs still don't get it. You had the bishop during the week telling Catholics who voted 'Yes' to go to confession - completely oblivious to the message that the fear and threat approach is as dead as John Cleese's parrot and failing to notice that that is the reason so many of his 'flock' voted as they did.

Now you have this idiot priest trying the same approach and not noticing the expired parrot status of the clericalism that kept the feet of likes of him on the throats of the people for centuries.

I think they're waiting to be told to get out of our lives, failing to understand that they're no longer in our lives, nor even in the lives of the believers they purport to lead. As far as I can see, believing Catholics are listening to their consciences these days and not to these reactionary apologists for centuries of intimidation, abuse, contempt, loathing and simple disrespect of their fellow human beings.
If you don't believe in the Church don't go to it for a church wedding. There are plenty of places will do civil ceremonies.

My whole point is that it's no longer their club or their rules. It's the people's club and the people are making the rules. The church building is only the clubhouse. These lads are just the caretakers and keyholders. They're no longer in a position to tell the club members when they can and can't come and go. If they lock the club and keep the keys what have they achieved?

themac_23

Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 11:55:50 AM
The de-catholicisation of Ireland by itself has been such an incredible positive for society over the last twenty years. This country has modernised itself at an incredible rate.

Don't answer this if you don't want to syferus as I understand it's quite a personal question did you/ would you get married in a Catholic Church, will you have your funeral in a Catholic Church?

sid waddell

There are a huge amount of Northern posters on here and a lot of them seem to have an attachment to Roman Catholic religious dogma as an essential part of their identity, in order to differentiate themselves from "themmuns" - the irony being that they are far more similar to the DUP and their ilk than they ever realised.

I'm not sure they fully get, or get at all, how the rest of Ireland has moved on. I suspect they don't understand how most of their own community in the North itself has moved on either.

Kids these days look at religion in the same way most people look at two junkies shouting at each other on Talbot Street.

And it was the same when I was growing up in the 1980s and 1990s.

Religion is pretty much a total irrelevance in the 26 counties - the only small relevance it has is to be viewed with hostility.

And with good reason - the Roman Catholic Church is every bit as much a cult as Scientology.

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on May 30, 2018, 11:57:46 AM

My whole point is that it's no longer their club or their rules. It's the people's club and the people are making the rules. The church building is only the clubhouse. These lads are just the caretakers and keyholders. They're no longer in a position to tell the club members when they can and can't come and go. If they lock the club and keep the keys what have they achieved?

It is still their club and they still make the rules.  The problem for them is that the club is getting short on paying members.

Rossfan

Right on both counts Franko.
If you don't like the rules join another club.
By the way the C of I were advocating a NO vote.
I didn't see any comment from them but I expect Presbyterian and Methodist Churches would be likely Nos too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: themac_23 on May 30, 2018, 12:07:40 PM

Don't answer this if you don't want to syferus as I understand it's quite a personal question did you/ would you get married in a Catholic Church, will you have your funeral in a Catholic Church?

I couldn't give a shít either way. It's not entirely my decision either so asking me the question is a bit facetious.

The only time I go near a church is if someone has died or it's Christmas for family reasons. I know very few people my age who have any engagement with the church.

themac_23

Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 12:36:03 PM

I couldn't give a shít either way. It's not entirely my decision either so asking me the question is a bit facetious.

The only time I go near a church is if someone has died or it's Christmas for family reasons. I know very few people my age who have any engagement with the church.

Having a catholic funeral is 100% your decision. I'll give you the marriage one as it is a decision for both.

You kind of made my point for me by saying yoj go at Christmas for family reasons. We have a massive culture in this country of running the CC down and mocking the church and those belonging to it m yet when it comes to funerals, weddings (and Christmas) was use the church for our own gain.

gallsman

Read online that the parish priest in Dunboyne has asked SVP to remove a clothing collection bank from church grounds as they didn't come out in support of a No vote.

Anyone heard anything on this?

Syferus

Quote from: themac_23 on May 30, 2018, 12:46:12 PM

Having a catholic funeral is 100% your decision. I'll give you the marriage one as it is a decision for both.

You kind of made my point for me by saying yoj go at Christmas for family reasons. We have a massive culture in this country of running the CC down and mocking the church and those belonging to it m yet when it comes to funerals, weddings (and Christmas) was use the church for our own gain.

I only go for my parents' sake. I'm utterly bored to tears and wouldn't go otherwise. I'm not using the church in any manner whatsoever besides sitting on a wooden bench in a chilly hall for 40 minutes. I don't think the Catholic Church has any monopoly on dignified funerals either. Once a certain generation die off were likely to see many more secular funerals.

Hardy

Quote from: Franko on May 30, 2018, 12:26:00 PM

It is still their club and they still make the rules.  The problem for them is that the club is getting short on paying members.

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2018, 12:32:49 PM
Right on both counts Franko.
If you don't like the rules join another club.
By the way the C of I were advocating a NO vote.
I didn't see any comment from them but I expect Presbyterian and Methodist Churches would be likely Nos too.

It's not their club when the majority of the members don't obey their rules and have devised a new, more relevant, useful and human set of rules by which they abide. Leaving aside the matter of who owns/runs the club, the point is that the clericalist behaviour is a like a scene of once all-powerful tyrants ranting at the telly, not understanding that they can't be heard.

macdanger2

Apparently that's one of the big tussles in the higher echelons of the church - stick to a traditional outlook and retain a much smaller but more committed following or change with the times and attempt to retain a large but perhaps loose enough following

themac_23

Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2018, 12:53:39 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on May 30, 2018, 12:46:12 PM

I only go for my parents' sake. I'm utterly bored to tears and wouldn't go otherwise. I'm not using the church in any manner whatsoever besides sitting on a wooden bench in a chilly hall for 40 minutes. I don't think the Catholic Church has any monopoly on dignified funerals either. Once a certain generation die off were likely to see many more secular funerals.

Didn't say they'd a monopoly on dignified funerals, but there are plenty of places you can have a funeral which are non religious. Same as with weddings.

I understand fully your reason for going at Christmas. Personally, I prob am one of those hypocrites people talk about. I 100% class myself as a Catholic, I don't attend mass as often as I should, I have had a child out of wedlock. But you know, I still believe in the catholic teachings, I still pray to god I still feel that as a religion it is what I identify most with, I do t believe in every teaching and I fax I've had many discussions/ arguments with priests with regard to how the church has to interpret and include the modern era. I do know quite a lot of priests who are forward thinking and have their own views which they tend to keep to themselves, like any massive worldwide organisation there are going to be people with different views.
I completely understand people's choice to leave the Catholic Church as is their right I just did that when they need something for example a wedding or a funeral they expect the church to facilitate it no matter how out of sync they are