Na Gardaí

Started by 118cmal, November 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

People keep mentioning that he was mentally ill. That makes it more likely that he'd be irrational and violent and so in fact gives the guards more reason to shoot him to stop him.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 11:52:14 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 31, 2020, 11:47:37 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 11:29:42 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 31, 2020, 11:23:14 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 10:34:52 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 31, 2020, 10:20:56 AM
Guy got what he deserved. Went at armed Gardai with a knife. The situation had escalated and the Gardai had attempted non lethal resolutions. In a city with extremely high levels of violent crime I think the Gardai should be praised.
I bet you were an RUC fan boy back in the day

You've issues lad.
You're the one praising cops for shooting dead a mentally ill man

And the Gardai knew he was?

Hindsight is great, but the reality is they absolutely had to stop him entering that house. Negotiation beanbag, tasers and pepper spray were all tried. He tried to stab a Garda. Was only ending one way.
According to reports yes they did.
What reports?

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 11:41:53 AM
Aye, the one where clearly starts lunging after the first two shots are fired!

Did they hit him? Were they warning shots? You heard the conversation between him and the guards from that video in sure as well?

The reality of the matter is that nobody knows exactly what happened yet, but you have already decided you know the full facts of it.
I don't know the full facts. I know enough (as does anyone with any semblance of rational thought) that it was dealt with in the wrong manor.

general_lee

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 31, 2020, 12:25:02 PM
Guy got what he deserved. Went at armed Gardai with a knife. The situation had escalated and the Gardai had attempted non lethal resolutions. In a city with extremely high levels of violent crime I think the Gardai should be praised.

You've issues lad.

Hindsight is great, but the reality is they absolutely had to stop him entering that house. Negotiation beanbag, tasers and pepper spray were all tried. He tried to stab a Garda. Was only ending one way.
What reports?
independent.ie

general_lee

Quote from: trileacman on December 31, 2020, 12:09:54 PM
People keep mentioning that he was mentally ill. That makes it more likely that he'd be irrational and violent and so in fact gives the guards more reason to shoot him to stop him.
So why follow him to his house and shoot him in his front garden?

gallsman

Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 12:34:38 PM

Did they hit him? Were they warning shots? You heard the conversation between him and the guards from that video in sure as well?

The reality of the matter is that nobody knows exactly what happened yet, but you have already decided you know the full facts of it.
I don't know the full facts. I know enough (as does anyone with any semblance of rational thought) that it was dealt with in the wrong manor.

You think you do, that's all.

Can you provide a link to the report that said he was known to gardai please? I'm not trying to catch you out or make a twat of you or anything, I just haven't seen it anywhere.

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 12:41:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 12:34:38 PM

You think you do, that's all.

Can you provide a link to the report that said he was known to gardai please? I'm not trying to catch you out or make a twat of you or anything, I just haven't seen it anywhere.
I fail to see how shooting him dead was the only course of action to diffuse the situation. You don't know otherwise either and until further information emerges that shows that the armed response unit had no other choice I am sticking by that.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/major-tension-in-community-as-family-calls-for-answers-after-man-with-knife-shot-by-gardai-39916358.html

Angelo

Is Sid contradicting himself again?

How surprising.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

gallsman

The difference is I have repeatedly stated that I don't have all the facts and thus can't come to a reasoned conclusion. You are in the exact same position but have already made your mind up.

As for shooting him dead being the only course of action, all the reports to date suggest that the guards tried negotiating with him, using pepper spray and tasing him prior to shooting, so why are you talking about it being "the only course of action"? Unless there's a bullet in his head, I very much imagine they weren't actively trying to shoot him dead. They shot him to neutralise him and he died from the wounds. The difference there is a lot more than semantics.

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen that. Interesting that his cousin described him as innocent when he had literally beaten the lad in the Eurospar to the point he needed treatment in hospital.

Some of the tension around this has the potential to really get it of hand. The protesters at Blanch station have been chanting "how many people must the Gardai kill"? This is not America ffs.

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 01:01:14 PM
The difference is I have repeatedly stated that I don't have all the facts and thus can't come to a reasoned conclusion. You are in the exact same position but have already made your mind up.
Of course I've my mind  made up. Don't shoot people dead unless it is absolutely necessary. I don't think that basic test was met. He had a knife - big wow. If someone was shot dead every time a knife was  brandished in Dublin the GSOC would be up to their ears.

As for shooting him dead being the only course of action, all the reports to date suggest that the guards tried negotiating with him, using pepper spray and tasing him prior to shooting, so why are you talking about it being "the only course of action"? Unless there's a bullet in his head, I very much imagine they weren't actively trying to shoot him dead. They shot him to neutralise him and he died from the wounds. The difference there is a lot more than semantics.
So they fired what was it, 5 shots? Did they try tasering 5 times? Pepper spray 5 times?

Some of the tension around this has the potential to really get it of hand. The protesters at Blanch station have been chanting "how many people must the Gardai kill"? This is not America ffs.
No surprise. Racial tensions have been bubbling in parts of Dublin for years. I for one don't see it as a racial matter at all.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 12:38:23 PM
Quote from: trileacman on December 31, 2020, 12:09:54 PM
So why follow him to his house and shoot him in his front garden?
To stop him getting into the house

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on December 31, 2020, 12:35:07 PM

You've issues lad.

What reports?
independent.ie

Being known to the Gardai =/= the Gardai cslled to the incident knew him.

But it does call into question how he hadn't been given help if there was a violent pattern.

general_lee

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 31, 2020, 01:26:55 PM

You've issues lad.

What reports?
independent.ie

But it does call into question how he hadn't been given help if there was a violent pattern.
I'm sure in the two hours they were pursuing him they could have drawn up a list of suspects over radio and maybe narrowed it down when they followed him to his house 

joemamas

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 31, 2020, 01:26:55 PM

You've issues lad.

What reports?
independent.ie

Really,
Just like the sc**bag that attacked and shot the Guard dead in June this year. Apparently he had a history, oh and then could not face the charges as he was deemed unfit to face the charges.
Wonder what that poor mans family are thinking this Christmas.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Let's just close the thread.

A violent man was shot dead by the guards as he attacked them with a knife, there should be an investigation.

It was not racist and we should all stop playing into the hands of Twitter World