Na Gardaí

Started by 118cmal, November 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 11:42:18 AM
Maybe we could all wait till some facts emerge and out of respect for the man who died before pontificating etc.

They didn't do that with George Floyd. Why would they start now?

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2020, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 11:01:38 AM
Sad news. RIP Garda Horkan.
A Mayoman from Charlestown.
Reminded me of Morley and Byrne. 2 Mayomen based in Castlerea
Tony Golden who I think was the last Garda to die on duty was from Mayo as well.

As was Garda Michael Padden who was one of two Gardai to die when they were hit by a stolen car on the Stillorgan dual carriageway in 2002.

HiMucker

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Why was a garda in Roscommon carrying a gun?
I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.

The irony.
I honestly don't see the victim blaming? He is questioning police policy, and if that policy is totally necessary. I think its an interesting debate.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 11:45:51 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:41:37 AM
In your world Sid, everything is hatred. In everyone else's there's a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

There is indeed a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

And your first thought was to use them as a weapon against anti-racism protestors.

Now that's hatred.

Weird, very weird.

No, its you who are weird. And obsessed, so badly that most people here no longer even react to your garbage.

There's nothing weird about objecting to you using (and that's the only word one can use) a dead Garda and his grieving family as a weapon for your deranged little far right political agenda.

Gemma O'Doherty-esque.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 11:45:51 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:41:37 AM
In your world Sid, everything is hatred. In everyone else's there's a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

There is indeed a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

And your first thought was to use them as a weapon against anti-racism protestors.

Now that's hatred.

Weird, very weird.

No, its you who are weird. And obsessed, so badly that most people here no longer even react to your garbage.

There's nothing weird about objecting to somebody using (and that's the only word one can use) a dead Garda and his grieving family as a weapon for your deranged little far right political agenda.

Gemma O'Doherty-esque.
;D ;D ;D

five points

Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2020, 11:53:44 AM

I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.

The irony.
I honestly don't see the victim blaming? He is questioning police policy, and if that policy is totally necessary. I think its an interesting debate.

"There is next to no gun crime on this state" is some comment all the same.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 12:01:59 PM

The irony.

Correct it so.

Outside of gangland crime, which is dealt with by armed response units (as I've already stated), there is next to no gun crime in the free state.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2020, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 11:01:38 AM
Sad news. RIP Garda Horkan.
A Mayoman from Charlestown.
Reminded me of Morley and Byrne. 2 Mayomen based in Castlerea
Tony Golden who I think was the last Garda to die on duty was from Mayo as well.

As was Garda Michael Padden who was one of two Gardai to die when they were hit by a stolen car on the Stillorgan dual carriageway in 2002.

As were Detective John Morley and Garda Henry Byrne who were conicidentally also based in Castlerea.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 12:03:11 PM

The irony.

Correct it so.

Outside of gangland crime, which is dealt with by armed response units (as I've already stated), there is next to no gun crime in the free state.
And the "dissident republicans"?  As for gangland, it's nationwide now: https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-ireland-is-the-homicide-by-firearm-capital-of-the-eu-so-why-is-our-government-so-complacent-4615315-May2019/

J70

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:48:27 AM
Maybe we could all wait till some facts emerge and out of respect for the man who died before pontificating etc.

8+ minute video of a cop kneeling on a guy's neck while he cried for his mother and slowly struggled for breath, lost consciousness and ended up dying caused the outcry.

Are there some facts that have been missed or are still to come out?

sid waddell

The irony.
Surely the real issue here is that Detective Horkan appears to have had no back up?

I think back in 2015, Garda Golden attended a domestic situation unarmed without back up and had a gun pulled on him by Adrian Crevan Mackin.

Whether a Garda is armed or unarmed it's easy to see how such a situation can be fraught with danger.

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2020, 12:14:25 PM

8+ minute video of a cop kneeling on a guy's neck while he cried for his mother and slowly struggled for breath, lost consciousness and ended up dying caused the outcry.

Are there some facts that have been missed or are still to come out?
Facts tend to be inconvenient for somebody intent on using any incident to push a far right political agenda.

Rossfan

"They".
You're the main culprit FFS!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 12:15:01 PM

The irony.
Surely the real issue here is that Detective Horkan appears to have had no back up?

I think back in 2015, Garda Golden attended a domestic situation unarmed without back up and had a gun pulled on him by Adrian Crevan Mackin.

Whether a Garda is armed or unarmed it's easy to see how such a situation can be fraught with danger.

That is obviously a major question.

Do Gardai typically respond to these type of incidents alone?

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 12:08:54 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 12:03:11 PM

The irony.

Correct it so.

And the "dissident republicans"?  As for gangland, it's nationwide now: https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-ireland-is-the-homicide-by-firearm-capital-of-the-eu-so-why-is-our-government-so-complacent-4615315-May2019/

I believe I've already established that armed response units deal with gangland crimes, but you've confirmed a high degree of stupidity by ignoring that.

Dissident republicans? Can't really recall too many dissident republican actions in the 26 in recent years.

So maybe you can address the actual question I've asked rather than a different one?

Outside of gangland crime which is responded to by armed response units, show me examples of high levels of gun crime in the 26 that would necessitate your rank and file detectives, particularly in fairly rural, low-crime outposts in Roscommon, to carry firearms?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL