Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

gethimaf

People being slightly disrespectful to tyrone. Dublin will have to play the best football they've played in two years of championship if they are to overturn tyrone. Some of tyrones personell changes have worked well.
Best 15
                                   Packie
             swift               mcmahon         gormley

O'neill             ricey                 jordan

Hub Cavanagh
         harte                mcguigan          another
         Penrose            Donnelly           Mugsy

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: gethimaf on August 03, 2011, 12:37:46 AM
People being slightly disrespectful to tyrone. Dublin will have to play the best football they've played in two years of championship if they are to overturn tyrone. Some of tyrones personell changes have worked well.
Best 15
                                   Packie

Hub Cavanagh

Surely you mean Tyrone will have to put in their best performance since 2008 to beat Dublin??

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2011, 05:04:51 AM
Best 15
                                   Packie

Hub Cavanagh

Surely you mean Tyrone will have to put in their best performance since 2008 to beat Dublin??

Don't know if you should take this poster serious - first post - yet he leaves justy mc out of starting team along with Colm Cav whose in fine form (a player that has failed to convince me in previous seasons but he's really stepped up to the mark this season)

Radda bout yeee

With SON stating his 100% fitness today in the irish news does this put Harte under added pressure to start him. Forwards are doing well of late but can he really justify having a fully fit stevie on the bench? Has it got to the point where he's not one of the top 6 forwards in the county??

IMO I'd rather have him starting than coming on. What do you's think?

Fuzzman

Dublin are staying remarkably low key for this match. Having not played for 4 weeks and only 44 thousand at the Leinster final.

Even the posters on here have backed off big time. Do I detect a hambush?
Is this finally the year we Dublin can make the break through. They should have beaten Cork last year and so will be out to make amends. A bit like Tyrone, they haven't really been tested much in Leinster with only Kildare giving them any sort of a game.

Will the 2 Brogans, Connolly and McMenamin finally strike gold and play out of their skins for a full game or will the old faults of the past come back to haunt them. Often in these games Dublin get off to a great start and then teams reel them in and they start to doubt themselves.

On the other side though, could this be where Tyrone kick on and move up a step. We know they love playing in croker in big games and if players like both Cavanaghs, Peter Harte and Donnelly get into the groove they're hard to stop. I think teams have underestimated how important Donnelly has been this year and his turn of pace is electric. He's now added goals & points to his hard work game and has become one of our best forwards in my eyes. With Stephen O'Neill to come in at some point and maybe even Penrose if he's fit as well as Mugsy then we surely have enough to keep the Dublin defence busy.

I must say I can't wait to Saturday evening. I just love these matches with the Dubs. I'll be hanging my Tyrone flag out the window soon to get the neighbours reactions. They're all good humoured thankfully.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Seems like Gilroy has put the mufflers on the Dub supporters too!  ;)

O'Neill keen to see more of the action

After coming on late on against Roscommon in Croke Park last Saturday, Stephen ONeill is hopeful he can play a part in the All-Ireland quarter-final against Dublin at the same venue on Saturday night.

GAA: STEPHEN O'NEILL has handed Tyrone a massive boost ahead of this weekend's blockbuster All-Ireland quarter-final by informing Mickey Harte that he's fully fit and ready to face the Dublin.

O'Neill has missed all three of the Red Hands' qualifier games with a hamstring injury, but he feels he can give 100 per cent at Croke Park on Saturday evening.

He did make a fleeting appearance in the win over Roscommon, coming on as a sub deep into stoppage time.

"I trained last week, and will be training this week again, so hopefully I can get a wee bit longer the next day," said O'Neill. "I'm just delighted to get the injury cleared up, and maybe now give it a push and help the team."

And while he was only sprung from the bench in the dying moments last weekend, the former Footballer of the Year was relieved to get back on the pitch.

"I was delighted to be thought of, and get a wee run on for 10 or 20 seconds."

Croke Park was hardly more than a quarter-full last weekend, but the ground is expected to be heaving on Saturday and O'Neill believes Tyrone will revel in the big-game atmosphere, however hostile it may be.

"It's a game to look forward to, with 82,00 here, it's just an amazing place to be, with that noise, and we're looking forward to it.

"It's going to be a very tough game for us. Dublin have been there or thereabouts for this last couple of years, and they're improving all the time. They're a big, strong, physical team and they are well organised, so it's going to be a tough battle."

Tyrone are seeking revenge for last year's defeat at the same stage. On that occasion, the Red Hands kicked themselves out of it with 17 wides, but O'Neill insisted Dublin must take some credit for their opponents' huge tally of misses.

"If you look back at the game, Dublin put us under a lot of pressure when we were shooting. We were shooting from bad angles and we couldn't penetrate the Dublin defence. People are saying, you had 17 wides, but a lot of it was down to Dublin's good defence, so we're going to have to work out a plan of how we can shoot from better angles and under less pressure."

Against Roscommon last weekend, Tyrone struggled in the first half, but Harte shook things up after the break, and they coasted to an 11 points win.

"We regrouped at half-time. Brian (Dooher) and Mugsy (Eoin Mulligan) came on and that seemed to settle things down a lot for us, that wee bit of experience, and we kept the shape a bit better in the second half I thought. We're just delighted to get the win and get over the tricky hurdle."

The Clan na nGael man accepts that he will have to play for his place in an attack that chalked up a healthy 3-19 total against Roscommon, with 11 players on the scoresheet.

"Definitely. There's a lot of competition for places, and we're very happy with that scoreline, especially after the poor enough scoreline."

And he conceded that the players found it difficult to guard against complacency last weekend, given the popular belief that they would have little difficulty in taking out the beaten Connacht finalists.

"It is hard, you have to try your best to guard against it. You saw the first half, Roscommon definitely put it up to us, they have some very good players, and they're definitely going to be a team for the future."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0803/1224301773383.html
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mr. Nakata

Swift has a broken nose. That doesn't surprise me as it was a heavy knock he took last Saturday. I know players can play with a broken nose, depending on the severity, but with only a week between games, it's unlikely he'll start surely. I've been impressed with Swift all year, bar 2 costly mistakes, he's been a good tight marker and I hope he makes it.

Aaron Boone

Re Swift's nose, I get a sense it'll be quick.

Fuzzman

Just got my tickets from the ticket office in Dorset Street.
They reckon they'll be about 60-70K at it.
I got 2 lower Hogan tickets.

With Swift out you would imagine that makes the 6 defenders easy to pick.
I wonder will he play Harte or Dooher as a sweeper. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

oakleafgael

Best 15
                                   Packie

Hub Cavanagh

Dublin have went back from last year when they met a Tyrone team who should have beat them handily enough. If Tyrone repeat last years performance with only a slight improvement on their forward display they will win.

Fuzzman

I would disagree. Dublin now have a much more solid defensive system and a potentially lethal FF line.
The 2 Brogans have been playing well all year with Alan stepping up to where he used to be and maybe Bernard a little off what he was last year but you still no he has the capability.
To me Connolly has been the major improvement and when he was played at FF he was doing massive damage.

Cullen has improved as well from last year and is now gone from being in & out of the team to team captain. IMO last year will improve these lads and they know in their hearts they can beat teams like Tyrone now. They should have beaten Cork as well so the self belief should be better.
They've kept it all nice and low key this time round whereas everyone is back talking about Tyrone again after their recent resurgence.
I think it has the makings of a cracker match and it could go right down to the wire. Maybe even a replay.

gethimaf

Raddabout ye. Justy Mcmahon is probably tyrone best defender. Just dont think he change the backline. Coney isnt near ready and dont think he will ever make the step up people are expecting. Mulligan is always a good man for the dubs. Dubs for sam thats a very naive comment. I looked at the forecast for saturday and its a long time since dublin won in the rain. We all remember what happened it 2008. DUblin will nead the luck the got last year to beat Tyrone.
Also Hope Kildress stay in grade two, hateful shower.

INDIANA

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 03, 2011, 03:48:39 PM
Best 15
                                   Packie

Hub Cavanagh

Dublin have went back from last year when they met a Tyrone team who should have beat them handily enough. If Tyrone repeat last years performance with only a slight improvement on their forward display they will win.

I agree we're shite and we know it.

Tyrone have beaten all of longford, armagh and roscommon.

As they say that's the form of champions.

We're just going up to provide the colour and cheer on Aslan.