Tom Humphries on Donal Óg

Started by Ash Smoker, July 14, 2008, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Reillers on July 21, 2008, 12:47:54 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 20, 2008, 10:46:40 AM
Also Donal Og was again caught cheating using his own dodgy sliotars last night.
This is after fines and warnings have been issued to Cork over using non approved balls.
This win at all costs attitude is not welcome in the GAA.
I don't care how many jersies he signs, his attitude to fair play and his desire for pay for play are not part of the GAA ethos.

There's nothing dodgy about the sliotars, they were cummins sliotars, a lot of teams use them, they just weren't officially okayed by Croke Park, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them what so ever.
I think if you look really hard at the ball in Kirwins hand, just before he threw the ball in in the Munster final, it was, shock horror a cummins ball.
There's nothing wrong with them.

Of course there is nothing wrong with them. They work fine as sliotars even though they are different to O'Neill's sliotars. However that's not the point. They are not supposed to be used. Full stop.

Reillers

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2008, 01:31:22 AM
Also Donal Og was again caught cheating using his own dodgy sliotars last night.
This is after fines and warnings have been issued to Cork over using non approved balls.
I don't care how many jersies he signs, his attitude to fair play and his desire for pay for play are not part of the GAA ethos.

There's nothing dodgy about the sliotars, they were cummins sliotars, a lot of teams use them, they just weren't officially okayed by Croke Park, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them what so ever.
I think if you look really hard at the ball in Kirwins hand, just before he threw the ball in in the Munster final, it was, shock horror a cummins ball.

Of course there is nothing wrong with them. They work fine as sliotars even though they are different to O'Neill's sliotars. However that's not the point. They are not supposed to be used. Full stop.

Ya all right but there's no need to act like it's sin full what they did. Like I said, the ref used a cummins ball in the Munster final and nothing was said.

stephenite

Has Cummins and Tipp in general been warned in the past, and indeed received fines for breaking this rule or was this the first time? I know Donal has been caught out before and regardless of your perception of the seriousness of the crime - he has (once again) shown a distinct lack of respect for the game and it's rules by consistently and blatantly ignoring rules as set down by those that govern the game.

Uladh

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 20, 2008, 10:41:31 AM

I'd say Gerald McCarthy would love to be able to bench the pair of them too, if he thought the fans wouldn't go mad.
Interestingly the other big GPA card carrier Sean Og wasn't helping the cause with some of his antics too.

Perhaps the second half yesterday showed some of the Cork lads that matches are won by heart and pride in the jersey. Not by "professionalism" and posturing.

Obviously this is a purely hurling based opinion? you wouldn't be predisposed to criticising those three particular fellas at all?

Bord na Mona man

Yes, but the trick here is that is a perfectly fine to use a Cummins sliotar, so long as it has been vetted and given the official stamp.
Cusack insists on sneaking his own breed of sliotars which haven't been checked.
Why, I wonder?
In cricket and baseball any form of ball tampering is seen as a very low art btw.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Uladh on July 21, 2008, 03:33:03 AM
Obviously this is a purely hurling based opinion? you wouldn't be predisposed to criticising those three particular fellas at all?
Not a hurling based opinion per se. In any team sport, if you players trying to call the shots and undermine management, it is corrosive.

Reillers

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 21, 2008, 08:37:20 AM

Yes, but the trick here is that is a perfectly fine to use a Cummins sliotar, so long as it has been vetted and given the official stamp.
Cusack insists on sneaking his own breed of sliotars which haven't been checked.
Why, I wonder?
In cricket and baseball any form of ball tampering is seen as a very low art btw.

I've played with both, I've found there's very little difference. Like I said, the ref threw in the ball for the Munster final and it was a Cummins ball, no massive deal made there. I honestly thing that this wasn't "ball tampering" or cheating seeing as the ball is the exact same and would have no impact on the game what so ever. They're the tiniest bit heavier but it's unnoticeable. I just think it's Donal Og being Donal Og. I don't know if any of ye have met him but he is the most meticulous, obsesive, player in the country. I mean be it training or a match everything has to be a certain way.
Just because they were stamped by Croke Park doesn't mean that it was cheating. it not like there were something different with the ball, like he had tampered with it.

bottlethrower7

they're too small. They're smaller than the permitted size.

AZOffaly

It's a moot point (whether they are as good, different, whatever). What's important is that he is deliberately flaunting the rules by continuing to use them. Why not just have a bag of O'Neill's sliothars in his goal if he wants to take quick puckouts? Why Cummins, especially when they are not legal, no matter what the reason?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2008, 11:53:04 AM
It's a moot point (whether they are as good, different, whatever). What's important is that he is deliberately flaunting the rules by continuing to use them. Why not just have a bag of O'Neill's sliothars in his goal if he wants to take quick puckouts? Why Cummins, especially when they are not legal, no matter what the reason?

Why make Cummins sliothars if they're illegal ?

Reillers

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on July 21, 2008, 11:50:05 AM

they're too small. They're smaller than the permitted size.
They're not smaller. That's bull there is feck all difference between them, they're the slightest bit heavier but that's it. Teams use them all the time. Cummins sliotars meet the regulations of Croke Park. They're used in matches and training all the time. Like I said even the ref threw one in in the Munster final and nothing was said.

AZOffaly

Lads. Who cares? You're debating the wrong thing. What's important is that he has been told not to use them, that they are NOT the ball of choice, and he continues to do so.

Why?

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2008, 01:14:53 PM
Lads. Who cares? You're debating the wrong thing. What's important is that he has been told not to use them, that they are NOT the ball of choice, and he continues to do so.

Why?

Because he is the most obsessive, meticulous player.

AZOffaly

Why can't he be obsessive, meticulous player with O'Neill's sliothars? It appears to be simple stubborness.

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2008, 01:38:28 PM
Why can't he be obsessive, meticulous player with O'Neill's sliothars? It appears to be simple stubborness.
No cause they train with Cummins sliotars. It is stubbornness, old minded players. They've been around for God knows how long. Donal Og like I said is obsessive, there was never a problem with them playing with Cummins sliotars a few seasons ago, he wasn't about to change that if he didn't have to. It wasn't some sort of dirty cheap trick they were trying to get away with, not cheating, just Donal Og being Donal Og as obsessive as ever.