Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ghost on July 02, 2023, 05:02:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 04:55:43 PM
Would be good to have a retired ref in the studio to tell the "experts" about the rules of the game. BT do it on the soccer.

BBC had Maurice Deighan on for the Ulster final and it was downright awful at best

Yeah in fairness it wasn't great lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 02, 2023, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 04:55:43 PM
Would be good to have a retired ref in the studio to tell the "experts" about the rules of the game. BT do it on the soccer.

I'm still ref'ing so not available  ;D
I'm sure the u12s wouldn't mind a bit of a break from the rule book dictator, ;D

yellowcard

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kieran-mcgeeney-blasts-gaa-time-keeping-as-very-difficult-to-take-after-all-ireland-defeat-to-monaghan/a567407047.html

I'd agree with Geezer here. It's mind boggling how a time clock still hasn't been brought in for men's football. It's one of the easiest things to fix yet we still don't use it.

thewobbler

The only way anyone could agree with McGEeney on this is they also agree that when a team defending a one point lead in injury time should legitimately be able to protect that lead and use up all remaining time, by laying claim to a head injury.

Throw ball

Quote from: thewobbler on July 02, 2023, 06:13:09 PM
The only way anyone could agree with McGEeney on this is they also agree that when a team defending a one point lead in injury time should legitimately be able to protect that lead and use up all remaining time, by laying claim to a head injury.

Would clock not be stopped for injuries

thewobbler

Quote from: Throw ball on July 02, 2023, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 02, 2023, 06:13:09 PM

Would clock not be stopped for injuries

It could have course be used and would help.

It wouldn't though stop managers whining about timekeeping. Some of the time they'll want the clock stopped on impact. Other times they'll want it stopped only once the physio reaches the player. Then there'll be complaints about referees choosing not to stop the clock for short stoppages.  Others will ruefully muse that the clock should stop between scores and restarts.

See, this would all happen because all too many GAA steadfastly refuse to accept that they've been beaten by a better team on the day, which of course makes the referee the most likely target.

Until that cultural issue is cleaned up, then TBH I'd recommend that HQ ignore pleas from intercounty managers, for these men don't want consistency, integrity and honesty. They just want every coin toss to come up in their favour.

Milltown Row2

No one is happy or you can't please everyone..

Game the other night, I decided to tally the frees, game was tight few frees here and there, at the end a lad came over and was complaining about his team not getting any frees!

I flipped over the page and explained his team won more frees in the game, and by a good margin, wasn't good enough, said I gave them frees in non areas!!

See, you can never win with gurnny losers ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WT4E

We can all agree gouge influenced the result today?

Harold Disgracey

Just after seeing that properly for the first time, never a black card. Also noticed Rafferty being fouled 3 times carrying the ball out, all arguably more obvious than the free for McManus yet nothing given and Monaghan get a point as a result.

restorepride

Quote from: yellowcard on July 02, 2023, 06:09:13 PM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kieran-mcgeeney-blasts-gaa-time-keeping-as-very-difficult-to-take-after-all-ireland-defeat-to-monaghan/a567407047.html

I'd agree with Geezer here. It's mind boggling how a time clock still hasn't been brought in for men's football. It's one of the easiest things to fix yet we still don't use it.
Was he asked about shouldering the Monaghan player?  Trust he gets the ban he deserves.

general_lee

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 02, 2023, 11:07:46 PM
Just after seeing that properly for the first time, never a black card. Also noticed Rafferty being fouled 3 times carrying the ball out, all arguably more obvious than the free for McManus yet nothing given and Monaghan get a point as a result.
I know refereeing is a thankless task, but it's really frustrating when rules aren't applied consistently. Did any of the Monaghan players even get yellow carded? I suppose it doesn't matter in the end, Armagh had their chances to win it and didn't take them, Monaghan did.

Wildweasel74

Gough give out a black card earlier in the season outsude the square for a last man scoring opportunity m, surely that was a even more obvious situation with the McGuigan penalty the day.

Throw ball

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 02, 2023, 10:59:56 PM
Having said that, I just saw the Monaghan black card. Not sure what he thinks he saw.

I was sitting in Davin End with Monaghan supporters and we all thought black card was right in real time. Shows the rule - as written - is stupid. It looked like a deliberate trip. TV replays suggest otherwise.

armaghniac

There is a question about consistency. Yesterday, in the Armagh-Monaghan game at the throw in Lane made the players stand together. Today, in the Derry-Cork game, Glass was 2-3m from the centre line and McQuillan had no problem with that. Not the most important thing, but why the difference?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

restorepride

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2023, 12:08:53 AM
There is a question about consistency. Yesterday, in the Armagh-Monaghan game at the throw in Lane made the players stand together. Today, in the Derry-Cork game, Glass was 2-3m from the centre line and McQuillan had no problem with that. Not the most important thing, but why the difference?
In Armagh game, Lane tried to do that (for some reason!)  - didn't succeed!  Trying to assert his authority, I feel.  He had a good game overall though.