Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Just saw the black card/pen incident 2nite on TSG for the 1st time, with the amount of people screaming blue murder on here I thought it would be a hatchet job but it wasn't that bad, the fact that Kilpatrick looked like he was trying to grab an arm probably went against Tyrone as well.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 11:25:35 PM
Just saw the black card/pen incident 2nite on TSG for the 1st time, with the amount of people screaming blue murder on here I thought it would be a hatchet job but it wasn't that bad, the fact that Kilpatrick looked like he was trying to grab an arm probably went against Tyrone as well.

Ah ffs he was clean through and was taken out. It wasn't Cavanagh-esque but it was pretty damn clear cut.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 18, 2023, 11:39:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2023, 11:35:53 PM

Ah ffs he was clean through and was taken out. It wasn't Cavanagh-esque but it was pretty damn clear cut.
It was clear cut. A high tackle and yellow card.

Haven't seen this incident but there was a black card for Carlow today late on that was a high tackle, granted the Antrim player went down, but high tackle yellow card, deliberate pull down Black card
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

The referee got it spot on, yellow card and free kick.

Throw ball

Just read over a few pages there after watching the Sunday game. Think these Tyrone boys live in a different world. The referee got the penalty / card in their game 100 % by the rules. Maybe some should learn the rules instead of complaining about the referee.

As for the Armagh game. It was great craic with the Galway fans today. Everyone agreed it was a good game played in a good spirit. McKay was reckless at the end and lucky it didn't cost a draw. The free given to Murnin may have been on the soft side but there were plenty of soft frees to both teams during the game. I still find it amusing how Tyrone ones in particular complain that Armagh deliberately use rough house tactics. Maybe it is because I didn't hear any Galway ones complaining during the game.

As for the celebrations. It is always great to enjoy the big games. Maybe if Tyrone did the same so many fellas - players and supporters- wouldn't have deserted the team.

David McKeown

Just watched the highlights there. Clear penalty to Galway and I think Grugan lucky it was only a yellow. Very soft free for the Armagh winner but the tackler did inextricably put his hand on Murnins back so he gave McQuillian a decision to make. The ball was in play for 4:30 of the 3:00 of injury time so Galway should never have been allowed the last attack.

It was a free in at the end and McKay (was it?) lucky not to make proper contact or he to would have given the ref a decision to make on the colour of the card.

Having given my opinion on the major decisions I'd say the following on the game itself.

An excellent game played at Championship pace. I still think Galway could win Sam depending on injuries. I don't think Armagh are consistent enough but when on song they could give anyone else their fill of it.

Armagh clearly set up tactically with a plan to stop Colmer by deploying a dedicated sweeper in front of the full forward. Unfortunately it left them light elsewhere. That coupled with Grugan lacking the necessary pace to fulfill his defence duties created overloads and mismatches for Galway and they were full value for their half time lead.

Full credit to the management team who I have been critical of they changed things around at half time to address these issues. Those changes combined with an inspired improvement from midfield particularly from Ben Creally saw a marked improvement second half. As a result Armagh were able to play good direct football and as a result did play arguably their best football of the year.

Unfortunately that's likely the last Armagh match I'll be at due to holiday plans but it was an enjoyable one to go out on.

On the way home I listened to Sunday Sport in the hope of getting some interviews. Have to say the ignorance of the commentators were shocking. It was nearly 10 minutes after the final whistle before they realised Armagh had topped the group.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trueblue1234

Clear as day in my view. There was no grabbing of the arm or anything like that. Why would he when clean through on goal. He hooks his shoulder and drags him back. In the grand scheme, it won't matter in this case. But it shows just how big a mess the rule really is that we are debating it. The rule was to stop those sort of challenges. Make it easy for the ref.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

clarshack

Quote from: Throw ball on June 19, 2023, 12:09:05 AM
Just read over a few pages there after watching the Sunday game. Think these Tyrone boys live in a different world. The referee got the penalty / card in their game 100 % by the rules. Maybe some should learn the rules instead of complaining about the referee.

As for the Armagh game. It was great craic with the Galway fans today. Everyone agreed it was a good game played in a good spirit. McKay was reckless at the end and lucky it didn't cost a draw. The free given to Murnin may have been on the soft side but there were plenty of soft frees to both teams during the game. I still find it amusing how Tyrone ones in particular complain that Armagh deliberately use rough house tactics. Maybe it is because I didn't hear any Galway ones complaining during the game.

As for the celebrations. It is always great to enjoy the big games. Maybe if Tyrone did the same so many fellas - players and supporters- wouldn't have deserted the team.

https://twitter.com/thesundaygame/status/1665103914012745729

So Paul Flynn saying Dublin should have been given a penalty in that game which looked to be a similar tackle to the one on Kilpatrick yesterday?

tonto1888

Quote from: clarshack on June 19, 2023, 08:42:20 AM

So Paul Flynn saying Dublin should have been given a penalty in that game which looked to be a similar tackle to the one on Kilpatrick yesterday?

Was the one in Tyrone a pull down? Suppose ot comes down to the refs interpretation

David McKeown

Wouldn't have liked either of those draws, shows the importance of winning the group

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 19, 2023, 08:38:01 AM

Clear as day in my view. There was no grabbing of the arm or anything like that. Why would he when clean through on goal.

I'd a game yesterday, lad clean through and the defender was trying to do a Cavanagh classic, the lad attempted to bring him down, but the attempt missed, ones were asking for a black I said he didn't bring him down, though he did attempt, some of the rules can be unclear and do really need to be easier for everyone to understand.

That being said I was asked to explain a few rules last night during the game, which at senior level you'd hope they would know already
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

twohands!!!

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 08:53:44 AM

Was the one in Tyrone a pull down? Suppose ot comes down to the refs interpretation

Anyone who watches a lot of football will know that both the Dublin one and the Tyrone one are pretty much 99.999% of the time going to be interpreted by refs as pull-backs and not pull-downs.

Far too many people still think - it's a cynical foul => automatic black card.

Unfortunately the rules committee when drafting the black card offences makes a hames of the wording and included the word down after pull so refs have basically been instructed to only give a black card if the player is pulled down to the ground. This means players are still free to blatantly pull back players outside the penalty area safe in the knowledge that the ref can only give them a yellow.

yellowcard

Galway will rue those Walsh misses yesterday now. A Connacht team will struggle to win it now after that draw. If they do then they'll have to do it the hard way.

David McKeown

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 19, 2023, 08:59:39 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 08:53:44 AM

I am not sure that is a mistake.  Leaving it as simply a pull would result in far too many black cards out the field.  I do agree the rule should be reconsidered mind you but it would be a tricky enough one to get worded correctly

Anyone who watches a lot of football will know that both the Dublin one and the Tyrone one are pretty much 99.999% of the time going to be interpreted by refs as pull-backs and not pull-downs.

Far too many people still think - it's a cynical foul => automatic black card.

Unfortunately the rules committee when drafting the black card offences makes a hames of the wording and included the word down after pull so refs have basically been instructed to only give a black card if the player is pulled down to the ground. This means players are still free to blatantly pull back players outside the penalty area safe in the knowledge that the ref can only give them a yellow.

seafoid

Quote from: David McKeown on June 19, 2023, 03:24:54 AM
Just watched the highlights there. Clear penalty to Galway and I think Grugan lucky it was only a yellow. Very soft free for the Armagh winner but the tackler did inextricably put his hand on Murnins back so he gave McQuillian a decision to make. The ball was in play for 4:30 of the 3:00 of injury time so Galway should never have been allowed the last attack.

It was a free in at the end and McKay (was it?) lucky not to make proper contact or he to would have given the ref a decision to make on the colour of the card.

Having given my opinion on the major decisions I'd say the following on the game itself.

An excellent game played at Championship pace. I still think Galway could win Sam depending on injuries. I don't think Armagh are consistent enough but when on song they could give anyone else their fill of it.

Armagh clearly set up tactically with a plan to stop Colmer by deploying a dedicated sweeper in front of the full forward. Unfortunately it left them light elsewhere. That coupled with Grugan lacking the necessary pace to fulfill his defence duties created overloads and mismatches for Galway and they were full value for their half time lead.

Full credit to the management team who I have been critical of they changed things around at half time to address these issues. Those changes combined with an inspired improvement from midfield particularly from Ben Creally saw a marked improvement second half. As a result Armagh were able to play good direct football and as a result did play arguably their best football of the year.

Unfortunately that's likely the last Armagh match I'll be at due to holiday plans but it was an enjoyable one to go out on.

On the way home I listened to Sunday Sport in the hope of getting some interviews. Have to say the ignorance of the commentators were shocking. It was nearly 10 minutes after the final whistle before they realised Armagh had topped the group.
Comer wasn't playing. Sweeney replaced him.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU