Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: square_ball on May 14, 2023, 08:27:52 PM
Who got the man of the match awards on RTE and BBC? Shane McGuigan was the best player on show today imo. I thought he was just an out and out scoring full forward when he came onto the scene but he has developed superbly over the last year or so.

Shane McGuigan on RTE.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Strange game with both teams negating eachother to a fair degree. The fabled "Derry are useless under a high ball" didn't materialise and the 2 or so Armagh did try were comfortably dealt with. For all the talk of Murnin I thought he was destroyed.

The introduction of Campbell was a fair turning point as I thought we'd kept them at bay well until he came on. He's a game changer and something Derry are badly lacking since Bradley's departure.

Thought Gough was very sore on us Rafferty took as long as Lynchy at least 3 times and no whistle for him. Also denied us a couple of nailed on frees and gave Armagh a few handy ones.

Serious heart and spirit on display from both teams with Rian O'Neill and McGuigan getting important scores at important times.

Overall I thought we were a wee bit better. Had Rogers scored that fisted effort to put us 3 clear it would have been over but Armagh dug in and found a way to get it back when we were coming out with possession in the last play.

Given what the disruption this week the players were a credit to themselves today. Lynch's saves were outstanding and the penalties we scored were fantastic. Onwards and upwards!!

We need to improve though if we'd want to trouble Kerry/Dubs/Galway.

Also Brendan Rogers is a phenomenal athlete he had another great game today!

seafoid

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 14, 2023, 07:44:38 PM
Armagh showed how to stop Derry without having the quality at the other end. Ulster the most competitive but got a feeling they have the weakest top teams
Agree.

Walter Cronc

Lovely jubbly. Topped off with the wannabe hard man Rian O'Nell missing a pen!

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 14, 2023, 08:29:56 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on May 14, 2023, 08:03:21 PM
Surely Armagh fans will wake up and smell the coffee

McGeeney has run his course, well before the last year or 2 of uprising.

They had no balls today to go and win the game. Far too cautious, looked happy enough to stay on level terms with Derry and just get the draw.

Derry dictated the game from start to finish bar that period in Extra time. They latched on a score throughout the game to respond to Armagh to keep them within a point or two all the time.

Any other county would have got rid but they're blind to it.

Completely filled the togs

Probably the worse take of the match I've read. I have no dog in fight but if that's WUM attempt you must try harder.

Worst*

It's a stated opinion. He hasn't delivered in his time in charge. That's a fact .

Mourne Red

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 14, 2023, 08:30:35 PM
Quote from: square_ball on May 14, 2023, 08:27:52 PM
Who got the man of the match awards on RTE and BBC? Shane McGuigan was the best player on show today imo. I thought he was just an out and out scoring full forward when he came onto the scene but he has developed superbly over the last year or so.

Shane McGuigan on RTE.

Rodgers got it on BBC

Blowitupref

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on May 14, 2023, 08:38:54 PM

It's a stated opinion. He hasn't delivered in his time in charge. That's a fact .

It's childish attempt for some attention off Armagh supporters than "stated opinion" on how today's keenly contested encounter played out and in the end decided on a penalty shootout.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 08:17:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2023, 08:01:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 07:55:54 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 14, 2023, 07:42:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 07:30:31 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 14, 2023, 07:12:24 PM
Armagh won't get a better chance than that. They're missing something.
They are too soft. The match was there for the taking. Going to penalties means no control.

I don't think Armagh are soft at all tbh. They have an edge to him. I also don't think they are lacking quality players, they have a lot of individual talent there at least as much if not more than Derry.

I think you would have to look at tactics and the way they are set up. I'm not sure exactly, although Derry are very difficult team to play against no doubt about it.
I do. Winning matches is about control. Galway had to develop a hard edge as part of what they learnt last year. Armagh may have good players but they operate with a ceiling that they shouldn't need.

Yet Galway lost and are soft also by your strange assessment
I said that Galway developed a hard edge. They haven't lost yet. Do keep up.

Have they? Ok so no all Ireland this year can we say they are soft again?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Just a few thoughts from the game:

Shane McGuigan was superb.
Thought young McEvoy had a very solid game at the back too.
Rogers is some athlete.
Rian O'Neill had a great game for Armagh too, kicked some scores.
Soupy Campbell is a great option off the bench but is he too good not to start?
Armagh's forwards in general looked more likely to clip over a score than ours did.
Ethan Doc didn't look like threatening the scoreboard and Paul Cassidy had a few poor decisions to shoot.
Thought Armagh's tackling was extremely poor and a different ref would have punished it much more. Nowhere near the ball a lot of the time.

Eire90

so is derrys home kit white they must play in red that often that people thought red was their home.

93-DY-SAM

In the words of the late great Eamon Coleman " Youse boys know nathin".

Delighted for the lads today. Commiserations to Armagh. Doire abĂș.

Milltown Row2

While O'Neil was great he actually lost the game at the end, well before the penalty miss
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Lovely jubbly. Topped off with the wannabe hard man Rian O'Nell missing a pen!

If he'd burst someone's kidney you'd be salivating over him.

screenexile

Here what the f**k was the craic with that tr**p twisting McGuigans fingers??

Seems to have been mentioned a few times online. Why would that not be a red?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Exciting in the closing stages and extra time but a hard watch overall. Was surprised at the lack of composure at key moments. Perhaps Derry were rattled by the events of the last few days but didn't look like a contender based on that. Maybe they'll look at it just being enough to win in these circumstances, regardless of how it was achieved. Beautiful chance for Armagh with a nice run to the final and then their opponents thrown into a storm before the game. Match was very much there for the taking too, a real missed opportunity.