Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on May 14, 2023, 07:43:08 PM
Was there a big thank you for Rory Gallagher in the speech or did he manage to avoid it someway. Wasntb shown on tv.
I think it was two evenly matched teams, draw fair result. I thought neither team utilised the wind so it wasn't just McGeeney. Derry were in an excellent place at HT and didn't push on, likewise Armagh in 1st period of extra time. Hard to figure why.

Was shown on one of the channels and he did a good job on that front
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

The Jersey situation was f**king ridiculous, shouldn't be allowed, even Armagh v Down wasn't great.

Poor enough game but obviously tense & plenty of excitement for the fans concerned. Hard to be overly critical of Armagh as it was always going to be a very tight game that could go to the wire. Rian O'Neill & Conor O'Neill probably our 2 best imo, Ethan in nets looked like he was in a mental battle with himself all day, the soft goal ultimately very very costly. Lynch, whom I've generally thought is one of the worst inter county GKs on show had a great game.

Don't know if it's just me but I think that while that loss will obviously sting the fact we weren't 'beaten' means the psychological recovery shouldn't be as bad as an outright defeat (could be wrong and it could be worse!).  A win v Westmeath should steady the ship, I can't for a second think we would underestimate them.

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on May 14, 2023, 07:42:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 07:30:31 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 14, 2023, 07:12:24 PM
Armagh won't get a better chance than that. They're missing something.
They are too soft. The match was there for the taking. Going to penalties means no control.

I don't think Armagh are soft at all tbh. They have an edge to him. I also don't think they are lacking quality players, they have a lot of individual talent there at least as much if not more than Derry.

I think you would have to look at tactics and the way they are set up. I'm not sure exactly, although Derry are very difficult team to play against no doubt about it.
I do. Winning matches is about control. Galway had to develop a hard edge as part of what they learnt last year. Armagh may have good players but they operate with a ceiling that they shouldn't need.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 07:55:54 PM
They are too soft. The match was there for the taking. Going to penalties means no control.

I don't think Armagh are soft at all tbh. They have an edge to him. I also don't think they are lacking quality players, they have a lot of individual talent there at least as much if not more than Derry.

I think you would have to look at tactics and the way they are set up. I'm not sure exactly, although Derry are very difficult team to play against no doubt about it.
I do. Winning matches is about control. Galway had to develop a hard edge as part of what they learnt last year. Armagh may have good players but they operate with a ceiling that they shouldn't need.

Yet Galway lost and are soft also by your strange assessment
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BrotherMore6592

Surely Armagh fans will wake up and smell the coffee

McGeeney has run his course, well before the last year or 2 of uprising.

They had no balls today to go and win the game. Far too cautious, looked happy enough to stay on level terms with Derry and just get the draw.

Derry dictated the game from start to finish bar that period in Extra time. They latched on a score throughout the game to respond to Armagh to keep them within a point or two all the time.

Any other county would have got rid but they're blind to it.

Completely filled the togs

bennydorano

Was that Ronan Gallagher on the Derry line today? An innocent in all this I know, just clocked it watching it back.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Eire90 on May 14, 2023, 07:41:33 PM
Do you think it could be seen as a  jersey clash did anyone mention it on here.

Was very surprised the good guys weren't in the white jersey with red hoop kit.

Deliberate decision to go with the red jersey.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2023, 08:03:39 PM
Was that Ronan Gallagher on the Derry line today? An innocent in all this I know, just clocked it watching it back.

Goalkeeping coach

Sportacus

Well done to Derry. Commiserations Armagh.  It was desperate at times and also exhilarating.  Not sure what the wide count was but Armagh will definitely regret a few.  Rogers fist that went the outside of the post would've put 3 in it and I thought Derry had blown it. But in the end Armagh didn't go for the kill.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2023, 08:01:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2023, 07:55:54 PM

Yet Galway lost and are soft also by your strange assessment
I said that Galway developed a hard edge. They haven't lost yet. Do keep up.

Captain Obvious

It was there for the taking for both sides during the 90 plus minutes and nothing to do about softness.

square_ball

Who got the man of the match awards on RTE and BBC? Shane McGuigan was the best player on show today imo. I thought he was just an out and out scoring full forward when he came onto the scene but he has developed superbly over the last year or so.

NotedObserver

Blowitupref

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on May 14, 2023, 08:03:21 PM
Surely Armagh fans will wake up and smell the coffee

McGeeney has run his course, well before the last year or 2 of uprising.

They had no balls today to go and win the game. Far too cautious, looked happy enough to stay on level terms with Derry and just get the draw.

Derry dictated the game from start to finish bar that period in Extra time. They latched on a score throughout the game to respond to Armagh to keep them within a point or two all the time.

Any other county would have got rid but they’re blind to it.

Completely filled the togs

Probably the worst take of the match I've read. I have no dog in fight but if that's WUM attempt you must try harder.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

David McKeown

Without reading back these are my initial raw assessments.

Firstly congratulations to Derry. Fully deserved winners. The rest of what I am going to say should not distract from that and hopefully won't be seen as sour grapes.

I have become disenfranchised by the game I grew up idolising.

The skills are no longer prioritised.

The man on man battles and getting the better of your direct opponent has disappeared in favour of systems.

Penalties are no way to end to a match particularly when there is no need.

The Ulster Championship should be starting today not ending. 

The fiasco over Pay Per View

All of it leaves a sour taste.

On the game itself both teams gave their all and I think both will still have a say in the championship. The mistake on the goal was crucial and allowed Derry to control the game.

In extra time Armagh fell back into old bad habits when the game was there to be won.

I felt Derry were better at their system and better tactically but Armagh had the (very slightly) more talented team.

McGuigan and Glass were class. O'Neill and Duffy likewise.

Gough had a good game but again referees need more help.

Derry should win their group. Two weeks time will be crucial for Armagh.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner