China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Jeez that's shocking. We're snookered then.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 20, 2020, 10:45:45 PM
Jeez that's shocking. We're snookered then.

I thought there was money for self employed, maybe not same package though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ambrose

You can't live off history and tradition forever

armaghniac

On a lighter theme, on boards.ie they are talking about why nobody in Monaghan has the pox.
- washing hands with the stuff used to wash diesel
- Cavan people wouldn't give it to them bu prefer to keep it for themselves
- Monaghan people are not good hosts
- and the virus  jumped  from bats  to humans, but the gap to Monaghan people is too great  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2020, 11:21:19 PM
On a lighter theme, on boards.ie they are talking about why nobody in Monaghan has the pox.
- washing hands with the stuff used to wash diesel
- Cavan people wouldn't give it to them bu prefer to keep it for themselves
- Monaghan people are not good hosts
- and the virus  jumped  from bats  to humans, but the gap to Monaghan people is too great  :)
All of which seem reasonable explanations.

knockitdown

https://twitter.com/ghs/status/1241050245980708866?s=21

It's taken them almost 4 months, but finally no new cases (reported anyway)

armaghniac

Another good article from Tomas Pueyo
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Basically you need to do a South Korea.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/bc1cd972-6a8e-11ea-a3c9-1fe6fedcca75

Last week the health secretary, Matt Hancock, had to appeal to British industry to make medical equipment including ventilators, after the EU imposed an export ban.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-community-transmission-now-main-cause-of-irish-cases-1.4208228

More people in Ireland have contracted coronavirus in the community than as a result of foreign travel, the latest figures show.

A total of 137 community transmission cases have been recorded, according to an analysis of confirmed cases, with 132 infections linked to foreign travel.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

An update on the Key Workers our local school has 210 kids and 4 pupils need the key worker provision and only 3 days a week so more than manageable fair play people aren't taking the piss at a time like this.

I hope other schools are the same!

omagh_gael

Lads wondering if I could get your thoughts. Me and my mate set up a consultancy and training firm last year. We got our first contract and employ a speech and language therapist and occupational therapist 3 days per week each alongside the work we do. We do not employ them through PAYE, they're technically self employed themselves. The service we work in is at high risk of being temporarily shut down due to the vulnerability of the clients to Covid19 meaning our contract will likely be suspended too for the duration.

Am I right in thinking that none of us will be entitled to the 80% scheme announced by the government? I think my reading is that we may only be entitled to the universal credit equivalent. Another headache is that we aren't even a year through our contract so we have not have any tax returns as our business started after April 2019.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 21, 2020, 09:43:57 AM
Lads wondering if I could get your thoughts. Me and my mate set up a consultancy and training firm last year. We got our first contract and employ a speech and language therapist and occupational therapist 3 days per week each alongside the work we do. We do not employ them through PAYE, they're technically self employed themselves. The service we work in is at high risk of being temporarily shut down due to the vulnerability of the clients to Covid19 meaning our contract will likely be suspended too for the duration.

Am I right in thinking that none of us will be entitled to the 80% scheme announced by the government? I think my reading is that we may only be entitled to the universal credit equivalent. Another headache is that we aren't even a year through our contract so we have not have any tax returns as our business started after April 2019.

It's not what you want to hear, but the 80% grant is only for PAYE workers.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 21, 2020, 09:43:57 AM

Unfortunately it would seem so. £94 a week! There is pressure building though so hopefully they address it. There are 5 million self employed in UK, surely they have to come up with something for them.

omagh_gael

Cheers lads, was certain we'd fallen into the dreaded grey area. I saw someone on twitter there saying a paid employee on 30k will get 24k under new scheme. A self employed contractor will take home 4.8k.

Something has to give here you'd imagine.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: screenexile on March 21, 2020, 08:38:13 AM
An update on the Key Workers our local school has 210 kids and 4 pupils need the key worker provision and only 3 days a week so more than manageable fair play people aren't taking the piss at a time like this.

I hope other schools are the same!

Times like this bring out the best in people and also the worst. Know of someone who is very well off, has a nanny to look after the kids and asked the school with a straight face if they qualified as a key worker because they used to be a nurse. FFS, what is wrong with people.  Some people have their heads so far up their arses.

Also, heard of government workers getting emails telling them they are key workers including one in particular who works in Belfast Castle. Crazy. Difficult for the schools as they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. There are good teachers trying their best and others who will treat this as a holiday. It's a time for new ideas and thinking outside the box.