Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 01, 2018, 04:20:04 PM
:o Isn't it still something to be positive about though? We ultimately won nothing with the U21s we had/have but we were knocking on the door a good many times, in fact were more or less there and yet contrived to come up short on a few occasions. Although underage success is never a guarantee of senior progress I'd rather have it than not, it's a no-brainer. Either way, I don't think Matty would be the man to manage it though.

Problem with an outside man is he wont do whats best for Cavan (walk away) he will do what is best for himself. He will have to be pushed. It will probably come down to the players. Many are getting football at a level they probably wouldnt be if everyone was available so I dont think there will be that many on the panel that want him out.  What we need is strong leadership from the county board. Make a hard call. I seriously doubt we will get that either so you can expect to see Mattie back next year with more Fabulous, Class etc nonsense.

rodney trotter

:o Isn't it still something to be positive about though? We ultimately won nothing with the U21s we had/have but we were knocking on the door a good many times, in fact were more or less there and yet contrived to come up short on a few occasions. Although underage success is never a guarantee of senior progress I'd rather have it than not, it's a no-brainer. Either way, I don't think Matty would be the man to manage it though.

Yes it was good of course , but the u21 success was won on a defense system . .  Then people weren't happy with the football at Senior level. Cavan went attacking and left the defence open.

Then Mattie decides to go defensive in the middle of the championship after shipping 4-16 and 2-20..

mrdeeds

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 01, 2018, 08:11:20 PM

Yes it was good of course , but the u21 success was won on a defense system . .  Then people weren't happy with the football at Senior level. Cavan went attacking and left the defence open.

Then Mattie decides to go defensive in the middle of the championship after shipping 4-16 and 2-20..

Defensive versus Wicklow. Fecking Wicklow.

Duckquay

Of all the u21 teams, I can recall one year where we had genuinely top class footballers. By in large we had the best and most effective system in Ulster and were the best prepared team. We didn't have the best players however and ultimately that's why we're at the level we're at. Mattie isn't helping either.

cavanmaniac

Minors got sliced by Monaghan too, shouldn'ta opened me gob.

mrdeeds

I hear we're looking for a new manager.

Itchy

mrdeeds

Jim Bob

the goal was on

Absolutely fantastic news,  :)

Captain Obvious

Who will likely manage Cavan now? a crossroads appointment for a county with loads of potential.   

tierworker blue

The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Most of us knew that there was something missing the 1st year, but the 2nd one confirmed it. We've gone backwards during his tenure, but hopefully we can get a shape on things again now.

It would he great to see a few players coming back, before they're past it. 2016's team was the best in a long time, but dissolved as soon as Mattie came for various reasons. It'd be great to see a few of them give it another lash before it passes them by, along with the best of the young lads we have now. With a bit of a solid plan on the sideline, there is the makings of a fairly decent side there.

Itchy

I think it was the right call but I suppose i do feel a little sorry for him having got us promoted to Div1 with a team of newcomers. He seemed like a nice guy so best of luck to him where ever he goes. But I do think it was the right call as I think we would need something else to bring us on next year.

I personally feel the big push has to be to get the best players in Cavan back involved. I am talking about the guys who were on those U21 teams. Therefore I think it is critical we have someone that worked with them either as manager or as selector. I'm thinking Peter Reilly and Ronan Carolan here. Someone who could coax them back.

Do we want to spend mega bucks on a big manager. To put it in context Horan is supposedly getting 80k to manage Westport this year! To manage Cavan he would surely be looking for 100k plus. Would McEntee come over from Mayo or maybe he is looking to succeed Rochford.

If it were my call, I'd go with our own lads - Peter Reilly, Carolan, Mickey Graham, Jason Reilly or a combination of these and spend the money getting in good strength and conditioning guys.

skeog

Peter Donnelly be interested in returning.Top man who knows his stuff.

Westside

The WeAreCavan lads have done a brilliant podcast this week. And listening to it I think we need to make a big appointment, I don't think Jason Reilly or Mickey Graham or even Peter Reilly is the best appointment now. McGuinness said it on sky, Cavan need a scalp, they need someone who can get them to stand up and be counted. Cavan need to hear something that they haven't heard before and someone that will somehow make them believe they can get over the line. Combined with that, we need someone that will get the players not committing to reach for their boots.

Dig deep, fundraise in NYC, whatever it takes. Spend the money and get James Horan. Approach Jim McGuinness and see if he feels he has any business left in the GAA, one year even. Take a couple of scalps, get to an Ulster final and we could start something. Get Cavan believing we are a top team and not nibbling around the edges.

Those elevator doors to the top are closing very fast, the right appointment now and we could just squeeze in before it moves up without us.