[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

So who created earth? Was it created as said on the bible?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2015, 05:47:59 PM
There is nothing illogical about faith.Creation is logical,as are births and deaths etc.

I asked you before:

Who did Cain and Abel marry?
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

There is nothing illogical about faith.Creation is logical,as are births and deaths etc.
You believe cities were destroyed as a result of homosexuality.

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on November 12, 2015, 06:45:09 PM

I asked you before:

Who did Cain and Abel marry?
Maybe they just co habited........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nihilist

There are a host of stories (some quite good ones actually) in the old testament. A lot are about a God that loses the cool or intervenes in what he sees as bad e.g. destroying the city of Babel. Also you have the story of Lots wife being turned into a pillar of salt for turning around to look. These are stories that you hear which I would associate with scaring the kids to say their prayers and be good.

The new testament is much more grown up. It also seems to be aimed at more adults and a lot of the message throughout are about being a better Christian. Jesus Christ has no time for those with money or power e.g. Scribes and Pharisees and moneylenders he chases from the Lords house. Also he says it's  "Easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter Heaven".

Its much more aimed at the poorer masses and those who are marginalised e.g. the Leper he cures or the woman who was about to be stoned for her perceived crimes. Overall those who had nothing but possibly the thought that Heaven was waiting for them when they died so they should carry on with the life they were born into no matter how miserable it was. There isn't any intervention from God either in the New testament until the crucifixion when the temple is torn apart.

Of course there are many questions left unanswered e.g.

1: Darwinism and the advancement of life over time.
2: Those mad crazy stories in the old testament (are we actually supposed to believe them?)
3: The morality of other stuff e.g. stem cell research, abortion, homosexuality, contraception etc. None of this existed 2000 years ago so was not dealt with. (Of course homosexuality did but it was very much a taboo subject back then - probably stoned to death unless you were rich and doing it with your slaves)

T Fearon

Who knows and what relevance has it? They were only bit players in the Genesis story

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2015, 10:48:34 PM
Who knows and what relevance has it? They were only bit players in the Genesis story

They were the 2nd generation of the entire human race, according to Genesis.

Their parents were were the first generation.

you said this: "Creation is logical,as are births and deaths etc."

They married their sisters Tony.

a) There was no one else

and

b) the Bible says so.

Then their kids married either their siblings or their first cousins.

Normally if first cousins marry, the couple would share a pair of grandparents, and would each have an unconnected pair of grandparents. If two brothers married two sisters, who were not related their new husbands, their kids would be called 'double first cousins', as they are first cousins on both sides. Unlike most first cousins, they would share two pairs of grandparents. This blood connection is considered far too close for marriage and today the Church wisely would object to such a marriage.

However, according to Genesis, Cain & Abel's kids could only have Adam and Eve as grandparents. And they could only have either Cain or Abel, or their siblings as parents. Thus any couple from the 3rd generation on earth, were double double first cousins.

This level of incest would be considered horrific, even in the distant past. However according to the Bible, it happened. The deformity in the offspring would be monstrous if this were true.

The good news is that some of the stars you see at night, prove that this is all nonsense. The time taken for the light from those stars to travel to us, is longer than the the Bible says the universe has existed. So either the stars that we see, can't exist, or the Bible is not meant to be taken literally, at best.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Don't expect Tony to answer hard questions. He prefers to spout insensitive and offensive homophobic vitriol and dress it up as faith. If that is his Catholic faith it certainly isn't one that I recognise, if Jesus were alive I'd say he'd be taking Tony to task for his unchristian like views. I'm disappointed that the mods have not censured him for some of the stuff he has written. 

laoislad

True, they certainly weren't as important as Phil Collins.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on November 13, 2015, 11:21:46 AM
True, they certainly weren't as important as Phil Collins.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

T Fearon

I could have predicted that joke when I wrote the column.I don't think anyone seriously believes Adam and Eve existed,the tale is allegorical and intended to depict God as the creator of mankind