Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2019, 10:45:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 08:47:53 PM
Is there anyone on this forum forced to wear a poppy?

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

I don't or would never wear one, same as any other remembrance flower.

This is a forum millrown. Just because I am not forced to wear a poppy doesn't mean I cannot point out the rank hypocrisy of poppy fascism and the obvious bullying behaviour that goes on in the uk.

Obvious bullying? Do you honestly think Roy Keane (who is, I'd imagined financially secure) being bullied? Wise up, if he has (or many others) any issues with wearing a poppy I think he wouldn't wear one.

You're possibly getting annoyed that some people actually want to wear one for the reasons it's actually for!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on November 12, 2019, 10:27:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 12, 2019, 09:05:22 PM
Now we'll see if Frank Mitchel is on the Board

I doubt very much Frank is forced, he's happy enough to wear it, as he does every year.

I worked in the shipyard and they had poppies on all year and ten extra ones on during September October and November. I never felt intimidated pressured or bullied.

I respect people wearing them for the right reasons but reserve the right not to wear one

I doubt Frank is forced , but there has become a culture of expectation of wearing a poppy in various visibly prominent organisations which demeans the valid principle behind the poppy. The treatment of McClean and the failure of the PFA , FA And other prominent British organisations to support his right to choose , and/or condemn the racist abuse he receives,  is a serious indictment of those organisations who rightly champion equality and respect in all other cases. Not only is it appalling but it's really bizarre - how do they not realise the hypocrisy of their silence?

So is it bullying or does he accept that by wearing a poppy he's wearing it for the right reasons. Frank seems like an intelligent guy.

As for the FA

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1090398/

McClean himself would wear a poppy for the right reasons.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 10:58:13 PM

McClean is doing it for his reasons, principled. his growing up during the troubles or his family's experiences of the troubles has shaped his views, his stance is a simple one. He continues to play and the thugs/fans at these games are a minority

This is a forum millrown. Just because I am not forced to wear a poppy doesn't mean I cannot point out the rank hypocrisy of poppy fascism and the obvious bullying behaviour that goes on in the uk.

Obvious bullying? Do you honestly think Roy Keane (who is, I'd imagined financially secure) being bullied? Wise up, if he has (or many others) any issues with wearing a poppy I think he wouldn't wear one.

You're possibly getting annoyed that some people actually want to wear one for the reasons it's actually for!

Not annoyed at all but use your brain, how many celebrities or soccer players on tv will make the call to not wear one, knowing the abuse they will bring on themselves and their families? It's the definition of bullying.

What is the reason it's actually for?

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 11:04:35 PM

I doubt very much Frank is forced, he's happy enough to wear it, as he does every year.

I worked in the shipyard and they had poppies on all year and ten extra ones on during September October and November. I never felt intimidated pressured or bullied.

I respect people wearing them for the right reasons but reserve the right not to wear one

I doubt Frank is forced , but there has become a culture of expectation of wearing a poppy in various visibly prominent organisations which demeans the valid principle behind the poppy. The treatment of McClean and the failure of the PFA , FA And other prominent British organisations to support his right to choose , and/or condemn the racist abuse he receives,  is a serious indictment of those organisations who rightly champion equality and respect in all other cases. Not only is it appalling but it's really bizarre - how do they not realise the hypocrisy of their silence?

So is it bullying or does he accept that by wearing a poppy he's wearing it for the right reasons. Frank seems like an intelligent guy.

As for the FA

Frank's a great lad , he'll make his own decisions and I'll respect him for it, but the treatment of mcclean is blatantly racist and this racism is the single most important aspect of this poppy debate and shouldn't be minimised. What's that phrase "evil will triumph only when good men say nothing" . Stand up to racism!

BennyCake

7 or 8 seasons later, and the FA are "investigating" an incident? Pitiful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 12, 2019, 11:26:02 PM
7 or 8 seasons later, and the FA are "investigating" an incident? Pitiful.

I thought it was longer but people on here said they've done nothing this season!

Seems now they are dammed if they do....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2019, 11:06:42 PM

Not annoyed at all but use your brain, how many celebrities or soccer players on tv will make the call to not wear one, knowing the abuse they will bring on themselves and their families? It's the definition of bullying.

The poppy is a charity. As for the likes of Keane, he's well strong enough to take abuse, he was tortured after walking out on Ireland and abuse from mangers roles. Wearing a poppy or not wearing a poppy wouldn't faze him tbh.

To answer your question on the players or celebrities, I don't know and frankly neither do you

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: 6th sam on November 12, 2019, 11:17:34 PM

As for the FA

Frank's a great lad , he'll make his own decisions and I'll respect him for it, but the treatment of mcclean is blatantly racist and this racism is the single most important aspect of this poppy debate and shouldn't be minimised. What's that phrase "evil will triumph only when good men say nothing" . Stand up to racism!
I'm not disputing the fact that Frank's a good lad but I don't ever remember him wearing a poppy before he joined UTV so I'd be interested to know why he had a change of heart
Careful now

6th sam

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 12, 2019, 11:40:35 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 12, 2019, 11:17:34 PM

As for the FA

I'm not disputing the fact that Frank's a good lad but I don't ever remember him wearing a poppy before he joined UTV so I'd be interested to know why he had a change of heart
Agreed. That's the exact point I'm trying to make.
Regarding Roy Keane , another example of expectation and capitulating to those expectations . Much as I admired Roy Keane as a player, he finally lost all credibility after his woefully insensitive and disgusting remarks regarding Jonathan Walters. He ironically portrayed himself as a super Irish patriot whilst questioning the Irish credentials of Mick McCarthy as a second generation Paddy, which many would view as anti-English racism. Now he's wearing a poppy ? It's farcical to be honest.

Dougal Maguire

I don't know exactly what point you're making to be honest. Are you suggesting that Frank chose to wear one or was forced to wear one? Regardless I'm not sure I'd want to be drawing any comparisons between Frank, who's a pretty sound guy, and Roy Keane who I don't actually know but who seems to be a bully and a pretty nasty piece of work
Careful now

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 12, 2019, 11:36:12 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2019, 11:06:42 PM

The poppy is a charity. As for the likes of Keane, he's well strong enough to take abuse, he was tortured after walking out on Ireland and abuse from mangers roles. Wearing a poppy or not wearing a poppy wouldn't faze him tbh.

To answer your question on the players or celebrities, I don't know and frankly neither do you

I may not know the answer but I know the answer is greater than zero. Frankly I cannot believe anyone does not see this for what it is, bullying. Also for the person who says that Roy keane is well able for abuse etc etc. Would you think that if a colleague at work was being bullied, if a child was being bullied. This poppy fascism is disgusting carry on which is only mildly alleviated by the pure stupidity of sine the people pushing it.

I suggest you read Robert Fisks great article on why he or his father (a war vetersn) didn't wear one if you think its simply a charity

6th sam

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 13, 2019, 01:26:53 AM
I don't know exactly what point you're making to be honest. Are you suggesting that Frank chose to wear one or was forced to wear one? Regardless I'm not sure I'd want to be drawing any comparisons between Frank, who's a pretty sound guy, and Roy Keane who I don't actually know but who seems to be a bully and a pretty nasty piece of work

I'd imagine Frank chose to wear a poppy.
However there are influences in the workplace , in the public eye particularly , that affect that choice. Would Frank be wearing a poppy if he had remained around Newry for his work?
The poppy campaign is a charity for an honourable cause, however it has been hijacked by some.
I don't like the expectation on those in the public eye to wear one, and the abusive treatment of James McClean  over it , is clearly racist, yet not one prominent organisation has called it out, To my knowledge. It'll be interesting to see the support he gets from his new Stoke manager Michael O'Neill.

johnnycool

I see where you're coming from but at the same time do you think Roy rocked up to the Sky studio with a poppy already on or was there a selection in the studio for him with the expectation to wear one?

Same with Graham Norton show and the likes. Do those yank actors or whoever arrive with their poppy or are they provided with one?

BennyCake

Quote from: 6th sam on November 13, 2019, 08:43:30 AM

However there are influences in the workplace , in the public eye particularly , that affect that choice. Would Frank be wearing a poppy if he had remained around Newry for his work?
The poppy campaign is a charity for an honourable cause, however it has been hijacked by some.
I don't like the expectation on those in the public eye to wear one, and the abusive treatment of James McClean  over it , is clearly racist, yet not one prominent organisation has called it out, To my knowledge. It'll be interesting to see the support he gets from his new Stoke manager Michael O'Neill.

Is it?

If WW1 was the war to end all wars, like they said, there would be no veterans left now. Therefore, no need for the charity. Of course, the Brits continue to stick their nose in around the world, so there's always a war somewhere.

It would be interesting to know the number who marched in protest of the Iraq invasion in 2003, who also buy poppies. I'd imagine quite a few. So even though they're against war, they help look after soldiers who were sent there.

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyCake on November 13, 2019, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 13, 2019, 08:43:30 AM

Is it?

If WW1 was the war to end all wars, like they said, there would be no veterans left now. Therefore, no need for the charity. Of course, the Brits continue to stick their nose in around the world, so there's always a war somewhere.

It would be interesting to know the number who marched in protest of the Iraq invasion in 2003, who also buy poppies. I'd imagine quite a few. So even though they're against war, they help look after soldiers who were sent there.
That is not a contradiction.