JP McManus - Christmas comes early

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 24, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Ye just KNOW the churlish cnuts on here complaining are EXACTLY the type of people who would NEVER put their hand in their own pocket to give a single sou to any charitable cause of any description. 

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2018, 11:48:42 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2018, 10:54:48 PM
JP McManus' tax issue is not new news. So to those people using the news of the donation to the GAA clubs as an opportunity to vent about his tax status, would you be happier if he didn't give this money to the GAA and will you be lobbying your club not to accept it as a point of principle?

These attempts to pretend you can't have an opinion on tax dodging just because he gave a few Euros to the GAA are a crock of shít.

What tax dodging.... not domiciled here and earns his money abroad.  Invests and supports more in direct contributions in ROI than this gaa grant every year with no fanfare.....

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2018, 07:03:10 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2018, 06:59:04 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2018, 06:57:07 AM
JP McManus' tax issue is not new news. So to those people using the news of the donation to the GAA clubs as an opportunity to vent about his tax status, would you be happier if he didn't give this money to the GAA and will you be lobbying your club not to accept it as a point of principle?

These attempts to pretend you can't have an opinion on tax dodging just because he gave a few Euros to the GAA are a crock of shít.

But people have come out of the woodwork to sling the tax dodging accusation at him after this donation. The board wasn't dull of anti JP posts three or four days ago. I'm just asking the question, as a point of principle are you going to lobby your club not to take the money?

This was a terrible argument the first time you posed the 'question' too.

Are you going to lobby your club not to accept the money? What a great opportunity for the GAA grassroots to stand up and take a principled position against tax dodging billionaires. Surely self styled principled people like yourself should be leading this charge by showing that his money is not welcome?

The money is of course welcome but what bothers me is the multitudes praising him as "very generous" and a great men etc. When you go into that territory I think a fuller examination of the facts is warranted. We all know the dangers of groupthink in this country. The speculating against our currency forcing the devaluation and the ensuing misery for so many here sticks in my craw. My Dad was unemployed for a good period of time back then and it really affected him though thankfully not in a permanent way. Others were doubtless less fortunate. So I'm not going to sit idly by while eveyone hsails him as a great Irishman becasue the facts don't bear that out.

Orchard park

I dontbknow of his inbolvement in devaluing the Irish punt,

Sterling and more famously the Mexican peso were his huge currency plays I thought...

Therealdonald

Quote from: Orchard park on September 26, 2018, 12:07:31 PM
I dontbknow of his inbolvementbin devaluing ygebitish punt,

Sterling and more famously the Mexican peso were his huge currency plays I thought...

Former bookie-turned-gambler JP McManus was nicknamed the 'Sundance Kid' for his sensational betting coups at Cheltenham and other racetracks. But he's made far, far more money gambling on currency and financial derivatives from his Geneva trading centre. The 63-year-old Limerickman is said to have made an absolute killing when the Mexican peso devalued in 1995.

He often invests with close friend and Coolmore Stud boss John Magnier. The two hold a 23pc stake in €2.12bn British pub firm Mitchells & Butler. He is also prominent in property, often with Aidan Brooks' Sloane Capital, and has bought the €250m Unilever HQ in London as well as a major block of real estate by Place de Vendome in Paris. His family spent €10m to buy Bernard McNamara's home on Ailesbury Road in 2011 to add to the €100m faux Georgian pile in Martinstown, Limerick, which is believed to be Ireland's biggest residence.

Recently McManus spent about €30m to buy Adare Manor, where he hosts his charity pro-am golf competition. His charity, the JP McManus Foundation, has donated €56m to good causes in the last 13 years. McManus treated himself to a new €55m Gulfstream G650 jet last year.

give her dixie

Quote from: Keyser soze on September 26, 2018, 11:00:13 AM
Ye just KNOW the churlish cnuts on here complaining are EXACTLY the type of people who would NEVER put their hand in their own pocket to give a single sou to any charitable cause of any description.

Have you any evidence to back that statement up ?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

give her dixie

You raise a good point in that it will be interesting to see if any clubs refuse to take the money based on questions around his tax affairs.

Not only that, given his association to gambling, it will also be interesting to see if anyone speaks out around that issue.

I guess we will have to wait and see if there is any fallout in relation to those issues.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Rossfan

€140m to buy 3 houses in a Country he doesn't live in ::) ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 26, 2018, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2018, 07:03:10 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2018, 06:59:04 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 26, 2018, 06:57:07 AM

But people have come out of the woodwork to sling the tax dodging accusation at him after this donation. The board wasn't dull of anti JP posts three or four days ago. I'm just asking the question, as a point of principle are you going to lobby your club not to take the money?

This was a terrible argument the first time you posed the 'question' too.

Are you going to lobby your club not to accept the money? What a great opportunity for the GAA grassroots to stand up and take a principled position against tax dodging billionaires. Surely self styled principled people like yourself should be leading this charge by showing that his money is not welcome?

The money is of course welcome but what bothers me is the multitudes praising him as "very generous" and a great men etc. When you go into that territory I think a fuller examination of the facts is warranted. We all know the dangers of groupthink in this country. The speculating against our currency forcing the devaluation and the ensuing misery for so many here sticks in my craw. My Dad was unemployed for a good period of time back then and it really affected him though thankfully not in a permanent way. Others were doubtless less fortunate. So I'm not going to sit idly by while eveyone hsails him as a great Irishman becasue the facts don't bear that out.
He's a rapacious vulture and a disaster capitalist.

For comparative purposes it would be gas to see the reaction had some of these vulture funds thrown a few crumbs to GAA clubs for PR purposes.

trailer

Irish man does good. We'll show him, bring him down a peg or two. Begrudgery alive and well. 

general_lee

Nice gesture. Yes he's filthy rich and what he gave is pittance but so what? I don't ever recall my club getting money handed to them anytime recently without having to compete with, among others, Orange halls for funds, grants etc

Rossfan

Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2018, 10:48:12 AM
Irish man does good. We'll show him, bring him down a peg or two. Begrudgery alive and well.
A good sense of begrudgery is what keeps this Country sane! !
Otherwise we end up as slobberers over our "betters" like the Brits over their Royals or Yanks over various arseholes.
Begrudgery and Cynicism ABÚ
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

It should probably be looked at as a Swiss man with Limerick roots who's been giving generously to Limerick/Munster sports and has now decided to give €3.2m to the GAA as a whole.

We could go down a route (I think the US has something like this), where if an Irish resident wishes to move tax residence elsewhere, part of the process is that he hands in his Irish passport.

And then if you wish to come back to Ireland as a resident in the future, you need to file tax returns for all the periods you were resident outside Ireland (again, I've heard that the US has such a rule for US residents who go away and come back - hence when they do emigrate, they continue to file US tax returns so as not to fall into this scenario).

However, the above would obviously have bad consequences for all the Irish who move abroad because the have to for jobs, etc. and forcing them to give up Irish passports, just so we can get at the McManuses and Denis O'Briens, etc, would hardly be fair.

five points

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 03:46:45 PM

We could go down a route (I think the US has something like this), where if an Irish resident wishes to move tax residence elsewhere, part of the process is that he hands in his Irish passport.

The US is neither partitioned nor has lost at various stages since independence half its people to emigration in search of work.

Beffs

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 03:46:45 PM
It should probably be looked at as a Swiss man with Limerick roots who's been giving generously to Limerick/Munster sports and has now decided to give €3.2m to the GAA as a whole.

And then if you wish to come back to Ireland as a resident in the future, you need to file tax returns for all the periods you were resident outside Ireland (again, I've heard that the US has such a rule for US residents who go away and come back - hence when they do emigrate, they continue to file US tax returns so as not to fall into this scenario).

However, the above would obviously have bad consequences for all the Irish who move abroad because the have to for jobs, etc. and forcing them to give up Irish passports, just so we can get at the McManuses and Denis O'Briens, etc, would hardly be fair.

A Swiss man with Limerick roots my hole !  ;D  ;D  ;D