John Hume

Started by Eamonnca1, August 03, 2020, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

People using John Humes death to throw the boot into SF really need to have a word with themselves.

Boycey

The thin skin of some of you shinners is unreal......

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 04, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
People using John Humes death to throw the boot into SF really need to have a word with themselves.

As they say here is Derry "Take yer oil"

They did attack his house on many many occasions

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 12:53:43 PM

You've derailed the thread to have a pointless dig at SF. Bit of sense maybe.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Facts can be damn inconvenient at times ;D
I have to laugh at some of those praising John for starting the talks that got the Provos to move away from violence.
They and their narrow minds and lack of vision castigated him at the time from every pillar possible for talking to Gerry A.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on August 04, 2020, 01:28:17 PM
I have to laugh at some of those praising John for starting the talks that got the Provos to move away from violence.
They and their narrow minds and lack of vision castigated him at the time from every pillar possible for talking to Gerry A.

You can't accuse RDE of that, that's for sure, she's only after doubling down on her bile..

trueblue1234

Facts are facts. And opinions are opinions. Knowing the difference is important. Either way, Think this thread should be focused on John Hume and what he brought to NI. As strong a politician that we are ever likely to see in our life time. 

imtommygunn

That woman is disgusting - absolutely disgusting. It's just hate. Why does anyone let her write in their papers or whatever.

I am loving seeing some of the photos of Hume. I didn't know much about the credit union stuff either.

Rois

Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM

he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.
I firmly agree with this point.  John's focus on civil rights and equality was spot on and wedged open a door for nationalists that previously wasn't open in terms of senior roles in government and commerce in particular.  He was part of the first cohort to benefit from free secondary education, which was another accelerant towards equality. 

Itchy

John Bruton and the entire Independent media group for a start. It certainly didn't age well for them but of course that doesn't stop them ignoring that fact. I say it again, it was easier to get the IRA to ceasefire than to get those pricks to see the bigger picture.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2020, 01:19:35 PM

Look, tá an fhírinne searbh.
I am from Derry.

John brought so much to our city from the bridge, airport, Seagate and of course peace. He done this under constant verbal attacks from loyalists like Gergory Campbell and physical/verbal attacks from IRA in Derry. This is not opinion. It is fact. I'm ashamed to say that I still have clear memories at 11 years of age been instructed by republicans in my street to attack SDLP canvassing cars in the same fashion we attacked the army/police. This was the normal approach locally to John and his party. You know "The stoops"

As I said "Take yer oil". All of this is about John and it is not derailment to say it. I am just presenting the same facts we hear on the news, but in a more real, raw manner.

Rossfan

Very true Itchy.
Thankfully Bertie, Blair and Clinton (despite many other faults) came along round the same time and had a bit of vision too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rois on August 04, 2020, 01:37:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM

he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.
I firmly agree with this point.  John's focus on civil rights and equality was spot on and wedged open a door for nationalists that previously wasn't open in terms of senior roles in government and commerce in particular.  He was part of the first cohort to benefit from free secondary education, which was another accelerant towards equality.

Yeah I was reading a comment on twitter about this kind of thing. You have to consider what catholics would have suffered in 60s/70s /80s and maybe even 90s and you look at where things are now. There are probably quite a few on this board on good jobs with good lifestyles etc and it wouldn't have been but for him. His influence on our day to day lives can not be understated. I turned 18 at GFA agreement time so thankfully haven't encountered too many problems in this regard but over the years you hear various comments like you won't get a first class honours from queens because you're a catholic, you won't get a high paying job etc etc and he was integral in taking a lot of that "stigma" away.

I often wonder how if the 70s etc were now in terms of NI how the rest of the world would view it in terms of equality etc.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2020, 01:19:35 PM

Look, tá an fhírinne searbh.
I am from Derry.

John brought so much to our city from the bridge, airport, Seagate and of course peace. He done this under constant verbal attacks from loyalists like Gergory Campbell and physical/verbal attacks from IRA in Derry. This is not opinion. It is fact. I'm ashamed to say that I still have clear memories at 11 years of age been instructed by republicans in my street to attack SDLP canvassing cars in the same fashion we attacked the army/police. This was the normal approach locally to John and his party. You know "The stoops"

As I said "Take yer oil". All of this is about John and it is not derailment to say it. I am just presenting the same facts we hear on the news, but in a more real, raw manner.

Whatever you reckon. You can't walk past a thread without a bit of SF bashing. Some of it is justified. But it's got to the stage now where you look like you've got one motive on this board such is the volume of posts having a dig at SF. And I'm always wary of people with agendas.

screenexile

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 04, 2020, 01:34:56 PM
That woman is disgusting - absolutely disgusting. It's just hate. Why does anyone let her write in their papers or whatever.

I am loving seeing some of the photos of Hume. I didn't know much about the credit union stuff either.

The Credit Union thing was huge giving Catholics access to finance when the banks wouldn't go near them it was a massive point in the Nationalist Civil Rights movement and he was the main driver behind it!!