2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

redsetanta

7 changes in the Dublin team from the defeat to Galway. Can't see any more than 1 change with ourselves. If thats how the dubs start its alot so hopefully it backfires.
It's a relief not to be travelling to Tullamore today. Have more than enough of it.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on July 04, 2015, 09:27:01 AM
Radio Offaly.  ;D
Bullshit. It will have Jack and Niall commentating and it will be all Laois. Check for the dedicated stream. There was nothing Radio Offaly about it the day of the Laois Offaly game.

TheGreatGame

Maybe I'm still a bit shook from the Galway game but I'm finding it hard to be optimistic about this evenings game.  The size difference alone will be very difficult to overcome, their full forward line in particular will have a serious height advantage over our full back line so I hope the sweeper drops right back.  Our hope lies in being able to exploit their full back line but that will be a challenge indeed with just one or two inside players.  Some of the possible changes I'm hearing would have me a bit worried too.

This game could well be the last time we see quite a few players who have given their all for over a decade in the Laois colours.  If that's the case I hope they go out with a serious bang and heads held high.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 02:09:17 AM
If Midlands Sport arent broadcasting it live on air, check their social media links, they'll have a dedicated stream for it.
Thanks, Don Draper. When you say "a dedicated stream" are you meaning a Twitter feed with score updates or is there an actual audio stream of continous commentary? If it's the latter (I hope), I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Don Draper

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 04, 2015, 03:23:12 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 02:09:17 AM
If Midlands Sport arent broadcasting it live on air, check their social media links, they'll have a dedicated stream for it.
Thanks, Don Draper. When you say "a dedicated stream" are you meaning a Twitter feed with score updates or is there an actual audio stream of continous commentary? If it's the latter (I hope), I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.
A proper dedicated stream on their Mixlr site. Tweet them during the game, or ask on their Facebook page

http://mixlr.com/midlandssportlivegaa/

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Teo Lurley

Let's hope a big crowd turn out. Lose and it could be the last game for some senior players as mentioned earlier, it could also be Cheddars last game. Win and the dream goes on. Hon Leix!

CruiseCigar

the team for today

Laois: Reilly; Palmer, Healy, Stapleton; Joe Fitz. M Whelan, Delaney; Purcell, P Whelan; Dwyer. Tommy Fitz, Keenan; Picky, Hyland. JCampion.

good luck to the lads,
Laoise abĂș

G@@

Mixed emotions after that game. I thought the team selection was bizarre with Paddy Whelan playing - he just has not got what it takes to be an inter-county hurler. The early two goals filled me with dread and was expecting a thumping. However, we got back in the game and had Dublin rattled in the period second quarter. The third Dublin goal was a sucker punch to get.

Against the wind for the second half (and with half time so soon after that third goal in mid) I honestly thought heads would drop. However the lads fought for everything and the substitutions made a huge impact. Dublin were rattled for long swathes of that second half and their first touch showed. At times you would have thought Dublin were playing against the wind in the second half too.

The 1-01 at the end was a lousy way for the game to finish - no way were Dublin 10pts better than us. Overall I was happy with the way the lads fought for everything tonight. Despite the result they can be proud of the way they fought tonight. We were handicapped from the start with Dublins physicality. We have learned alot from this year's campaign and overall it has been a decent year for Laois hurling.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Yes, Dublin very flattered by the scoreline. However, our fullback line had a very bad day. Palmer did OK, and I don't know why John A didn't start. Healy, in particular, had a bit of a nightmare, I have to say. Nevertheless, it was a respectable enough showing, and I was - for once - impressed by Zane's work rate in the first half, while Hyland showed well, too. The second half was poor enough, with a lot of mistakes from both sides. I don't really fancy Dublin to get to the quarter finals.
Anyway, a bit of progress this year in getting out of the round-robin. It's incremental, but at least it's happening!

finbar o tool

the sweeper does not work people! Thats what ive learned this year. Hurling as we know it is dissappearing before our eyes! No shape to the game, id say the record for the most passes in a single game is well and truly smashed! And thats from both teams! The short passes cost us at least 5 points, we have a long puck champion in goal playing with the wind and playing short passes to dublin players! When he did go long there was only 2 in the full forward line winning f**k all ball. Were so predictable, dublin cut out the sweeper with good ball into the corners and buried 2 early goals. Then we get ourselves back into it but only with long range efforts again, no decent ball into the full foward line. Same as the offaly game except offaly were just crap for 70 minutes. We wernt gona keep that up against the wind in the second half. Then bad defending for the 3rd goal, you could see a mile off that the ball was gona come across the square to the man left all alone, matt whelan at least 5 yards away from him, too easy. Palmer was brutal, he just held his hurl in the air when trying to contest puck outs. Zane worked hard at getting the ball back in the first half in fairness but was non existent other than that. Even when we eventually went 15 on 15 about 15 minutes to go the full forward line wouldnt stay in, i think theyre afraid of the goals! Foyle stayed in but stayed in behind his man too! When he did get the chance to have a go on goal he bottled it! Im struggling to be positive because im angry, im angry because we are better than that, its mostly the system that is defeating the players. If the backs delivered good quick ball to a normal layout of forwards, the forwards would perform better. And our backs are well capable of spraying the ball around when they want to. The players are doing what is asked of them and trying their best but the system does not work and it is restricting the players. Dublin were pretty poor in the second half and were there for the taking if we had used the ball and our players better.
I will say everyone tried their best and in general worked their socks off. Those lads owe us nothing. Joe fitz, matt whelan, cha, willie, stood out for me.
Go back to traditional hurling, perfect it, use support plsy and good off the ball movement, use the ball well, thats how we will progress. Stop negative hurling!
Jaysus its great to get shit off your chest!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: TheGreatGame on July 04, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
This game could well be the last time we see quite a few players who have given their all for over a decade in the Laois colours.  If that's the case I hope they go out with a serious bang and heads held high.

Have any players announced this will be their last season?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Not yet Mossy, but its a long week in hurling let alone politics, I would be expecting a handful to call it a day. Next year will be a transitional year - as long as we avoid Round Robin winners we should be safe - watch the draw in late Oct/early Nov for that one.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

One more thing... and I will put this nugget out there for consideration: We lost last year's AIQ by 10pts to Waterford below in Walsh Park, the same result (10pts) against a Dublin team who are arguably at the same standard as that WD team 12 months ago. Personally speaking I thought tonight's performance was alot better than in Walsh Park 12 months ago.