2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

The atmosphere is electric Bruce. Really looking forward to the Galway game now.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

the ratman

Credit to all the lads involved, this is exactly what Laois hurling needed - getting out of the round robin series for next year is massive. Terrible outcome for Galway, the last thing they will want is another battle like the last couple against Laois. They will be coming off a big high after beating Dublin but lets hope they get bogged down again and we can finish them off this time.

Bord na Mona man

Fair play to ye lads. I've felt sorry Laois for most for most of the last 30 years.

There have been some unlucky near misses for starters. I was too young to remember the Offaly ghost goal in 1981. I do remember ye having Kilkenny on the rack in 1998 and being agonisingly close to beating them. The year before that Offaly squeaked through by a point when PJ Peacock had a last minute goal chance that fizzed an inch wide.

The dreadful days too. When John O'Sullivan fumbled into his own net in '96 with no one near him, the 2012 rout by Dublin, the severe trimmings in the qualifiers when Munster teams and Galway have dished out hammerings with relish to get their campaigns back on track. Cork racking up 10 goals was pure ignorance IMO. Over the years, I often wondered how the stalwarts in Laois kept plugging away when it was bound to be a thankless ordeal.

Ignore the few dopes on either side of the border and you'll find there is a lot of mutual respect in Offaly for how Leix have lifted themselves.

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 08, 2015, 12:25:20 PM
Fair play to ye lads. I've felt sorry Laois for most for most of the last 30 years.

There have been some unlucky near misses for starters. I was too young to remember the Offaly ghost goal in 1981. I do remember ye having Kilkenny on the rack in 1998 and being agonisingly close to beating them. The year before that Offaly squeaked through by a point when PJ Peacock had a last minute goal chance that fizzed an inch wide.

The dreadful days too. When John O'Sullivan fumbled into his own net in '96 with no one near him, the 2012 rout by Dublin, the severe trimmings in the qualifiers when Munster teams and Galway have dished out hammerings with relish to get their campaigns back on track. Cork racking up 10 goals was pure ignorance IMO. Over the years, I often wondered how the stalwarts in Laois kept plugging away when it was bound to be a thankless ordeal.

Ignore the few dopes on either side of the border and you'll find there is a lot of mutual respect in Offaly for how Leix have lifted themselves.

Fair play BMN, there is no great joy in seeing Offaly slip back in the rankings which I think was summed up by the eerie silence yesterday when Laois got 10 points ahead. I hope Offaly can arrest the slide and stay up in top tier hurling.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on June 08, 2015, 12:30:11 PM
BRUCE - Here is the full match commentary - https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/laois-0-29-offaly-0-21

Niall Rigney needed tissues at the full time whistle!  ;D - https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/niall-rigney-and-john-leahy-on-laois-win-over-offaly

The Keenan Father and Son interviews - https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/frank-and-zane-keenan-on-laois-win-over-offaly

God speaks - https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/cheddar-plunkett-post-offaly-1

g@@, thank you for these links! I greatly appreciate it and look forward to listening to them, tonight. I did get to listen to "God speaks" last night--great interview--an impressive man.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Owenmoresider

Well done to Laois, great to see ye get that scalp that's been coming these last few years. Would be great to see a repeat against Galway in the semi, the last two years shows ye have nothing to fear going up against them.

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 08, 2015, 12:25:20 PM
Cork racking up 10 goals was pure ignorance IMO.
And no better crowd, no county does the flat track bully act quite like Cork, in either code.

Kevin

Congratulations to Laois on their win yesterday. I thought we'd regroup after halftime, but you were relentless. Sounded like an array of fabulous scores flew over the bar.

Good luck against Galway in the next round. They may be good, but so are you.

Uisce

Unreal win, it was a great day for Laois hurling. All the lads stood up and played fantastically well after a turbulent week or two. Hopefully we can go and beat Galway now. I think we have seen enough moral victories and now it is time to really make a mark. I know it's going to be a mammoth task but you never know and i'm sure the lads will go in fully believing that they can go and beat Galway.

TheGreatGame

What a brilliant day for Laois hurling!  The nerves were showing a bit at the start and I thought/still think going with just Picky in the full forward line invited Offaly on to us a bit but wow, those last 45 minutes produced the best hurling I've seen from this group of players.  When Jack Nolan asked Ger Cunningham afterwards where did this display come from the reply was telling: "We've been trying to get that out of them for 2 years now!".  I think we all knew Laois were capable of so much more than we showed v Antrim, Carlow and Westmeath and getting into the Leinster championship proper next year is a big step forward.

Huge credit is due to the management as they won the battle of wits with Brian Whelehan hands down.  It was a big call to give Matthew the responsibility of marking Joe Bergin wherever he went and it worked a treat.  In fact they got all the individual match ups spot on, and the decision to move Keenan into the full forward line along with Picky gave Laois two big targets to hit in the full forward line.

What can we say about the players themselves?  They were heroic in the second half and looked like a team that just would not accept defeat this time.  The point taking was outstanding, but equally impressive was the general skill level.  The catching of the sliotar, high and low, was hugely impressive as was the first touch - just witness Keenan's delightful control before the handpass shown on The Sunday Game.  Others including Offaly's own John Leahy have commented on Laois' fitness levels being at the very highest level, remarking that Laois players were making the same driving runs in the 70th minute as they were in the 5th minute.

The whole team were immense in that second half but I feel a few players do deserve a special mention.  When things weren't all going to plan in that first 20 minutes Zane Keenan hit some ridiculous points from distance.  That these were mostly free's takes nothing from the feat.  He hit one free just in front of me (terrace side) which was near the sideline and maybe 90+ yards out.  Tremendous technique and bottle are required to convert those.  It is very likely that his genius kept us in contention in those ropey 20 minutes, and that sideline?  Great stuff.

Not for the first time has Willie Hyland stood up when it mattered.  I've heard there were some less then complimentary things said about him on the radio during an earlier match, well that's the answer to that really.  7 points from play when you are already a marked man is some return.  Now that we have the bould Cha (0-5 from play, none of them routine, on the other wing) teams won't be able to just focus on Willie, so he is capable of more of the same going forward.

And then there's Joe Fitz.  I was getting tired just looking at him clearing ball!  He really is a class act and probably the best all round hurler we have.  Hurling is a team game but individual moment's of brilliance drives a team on.  Joe taking down a high ball deftly with the hurl while at full pace is just one example.  I've absolutely no doubt he would be a multiple All-Star winner in a more successful county.

Every other player had their moments too.  John A's hook on an Offaly forward tearing through, Cahir Healy's last ditch dive and flick to prevent a certain goal, Eoin Reilly's monster free etc, etc.  A massive "thank you" is owed to them all, panel and management alike.  We can look forward to the Galway game now with the pressure off and you can be certain that these lads won't be content with just winning yesterday.  If I'm still absolutely buzzing, what will the players be like!

Well done to all!

TheGreatGame

Forgot to mention the Offaly supporters, both at the match and on online forums afterwards who have been very gracious in a difficult time for them.  Those around me during the game were full of praise for Laois and I'm glad I witnessed no gloating from Laois supporters.

manfromdelmonte

Teo Lurley

redsetanta

Special mention to Cahir Healy who I spoke with briefly outside O'Moore Park after the game. He had stopped to have his photo taken with some younglads and then threw his gear bag over his shoulder and headed home as he was getting a flight back to London last night.
No mad celebrations just a job done and lets move on.
One thing for sure he was a happy man and I would think days like yesterday make it all worthwhile.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on May 31, 2015, 11:42:02 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on May 31, 2015, 11:25:14 AM
Had a dream last night that it was all a ruse to lull Offaly into a false sense of security and we went out and hurled like demons and beat them with Cheddar on the line and Whelan putting in a man of the match performance.

Good man. I dreamt I was with Jennifer Lawrence.......I reckon my dream has a better chance of coming true.

How'd you get on with Jennifer over the weekend Dave??
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi