Ryder Cup 2018

Started by Boycey, September 26, 2018, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Is Team Europe's flag the exact EU flag or is it different?

If it's the same, then you could imagine some ToryHead looking to get it changed in time for the next Ryder Cup!

Despite being open to all Europeans (since late 70s I think), pretty sure all players have been from EU to date. No Norwegians or Swiss made it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 01:27:55 PM
Woods and Reed looking a likely partnership. Going to be hard looking at that pair high fiving  :-\
Reed is an awful tool at the Ryder Cup.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 01:37:44 PM

If it's the same, then you could imagine some ToryHead looking to get it changed in time for the next Ryder Cup!

Despite being open to all Europeans (since late 70s I think), pretty sure all players have been from EU to date. No Norwegians or Swiss made it.
The Spaniards who competed for Europe from 1979 to 1985 were non EU (EEC as it was back then) players.

AQMP

Pedant alert!  European players have payed in the RC since 1979.  Spain didn't join the EU until 1986 so any Spaniard before then was an non-EU player.  Likewise Joakim Haeggman of Sweden played in 1993 and Sweden didn't become an EU member state until 1995.

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 27, 2018, 01:39:24 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 01:27:55 PM
Woods and Reed looking a likely partnership. Going to be hard looking at that pair high fiving  :-\
Reed is an awful tool at the Ryder Cup.

Fixed that for you Tony

Hound

Quote from: AQMP on September 27, 2018, 02:13:41 PM

Pedant alert!  European players have payed in the RC since 1979.  Spain didn't join the EU until 1986 so any Spaniard before then was an non-EU player.  Likewise Joakim Haeggman of Sweden played in 1993 and Sweden didn't become an EU member state until 1995.
Indeed. Hadn't thought of that, but Team Europe didn't use the EU flag back then. Only started using it in the early 2000s it seems.

Gabriel_Hurl

Friday morning matches

Match 1: Koepka/Finau vs. Rose/Rahm
Match 2: Johnson/Fowler vs. McIlroy/Olesen
Match 3: Spieth/Thomas vs. Casey/Hatton
Match 4: Woods/Reed vs. Molinari/Fleetwood

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 27, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
Friday morning matches

Match 1: Koepka/Finau vs. Rose/Rahm - EU
Match 2: Johnson/Fowler vs. McIlroy/Olesen - US
Match 3: Spieth/Thomas vs. Casey/Hatton - A/S
Match 4: Woods/Reed vs. Molinari/Fleetwood - US

1 Up to the US!

Puckoon

Think Molinari and Fleetwood could be a surprise package there. They certainly wont roll over and both keep it in play and hit it close.

Rory could beat the US lads by himself in match 2, or he might not hit a green all day.

trailer

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 27, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
Friday morning matches

Match 4: Woods/Reed vs. Molinari/Fleetwood A/S

Although I really fear a US whitewash.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Puckoon on September 27, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Think Molinari and Fleetwood could be a surprise package there. They certainly wont roll over and both keep it in play and hit it close.

Rory could beat the US lads by himself in match 2, or he might not hit a green all day.

Fleetwood loves playing with Tiger and Molinari has held his own twice vs Tiger - at Carnoustie this year and Medinah in 2012

dec

The 12 star flag originated with the Council of Europe in the 1950s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe#History

Farrandeelin

Is this only om SSRyderCup? Or is it on any other channel? I'm not into golf at all, but this tournament gets the European blood going in me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

The Ryder Cup together with the Lions Tour are the 2 biggest over hyped corporate media junkets in sport. That said the Ryder Cup does make for good TV on the Sunday providing the scores are close.

Orior

Friday morning matches

Match 4: Woods/Reed vs. Molinari/Fleetwood AS
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians