LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Any rumblings of a team for Sunday?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tony

Can't see us winning Sunday but if we put in a good performace and run them close, i'd be impressed. Weather should be cold but dry on Sunday. It'll be excellent to see where we're at against very good opposition. Hopefully Evan is back to the panel shortly after injury.

south Laois

Anyone know how serious Evans injury is or how long he's likely to be out for? At such a young age he really is becoming a real leader for us.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

No Laois team named yet but Sean Kavanagh returns for Tyrone.

Sean Cavanagh comes in to the Tyrone team for his first 2016 league start as Mickey Harte makes four changes from the side that beat Galway for Sunday's game against Laois.

Hugh Pat McGeary and Barry Tierney replace Ronan McNamee and Rory Brennan in defence while Cavanagh and Mark Bradley come into attack with Padraig McNulty and Conor McAliskey moving to the bench.

Tyrone:
                 M O'Neill;

A McRory, C McCarron, HP McGeary;
T McCann, J McMahon, B Tierney;

C Cavanagh, M Donnelly;

N Sludden, M Bradley, C Meyler;
D McCurry, S Cavanagh, R O'Neill.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

blueandwhite1

Interesting game yesterday. Good and bad.

I thought Mick Lillis was very consistent with his views by resisting the temptation to introduce U-21s. We did look a lot stronger with some of the stalwarts back even though they all need game time for fitness and sharpness. Considering that we are still missing quite a few it does appear that we have much more strength and depth than in  previous years. Defensively we were very good for most of the game, very impressive in periods. Allowed them to run at us for 10 minutes after the break which is where we lost the game. We also competed well at midfield when required. If we are going to play blanket defence, we also need to learn to play against blanket defences. We didn't seem to have any idea what to do with the ball when faced with a wall of defenders which means that our conversion rate for chances was way too low. If they can learn from this and continue to improve the transition from defence into attack then this team has real prospects. Tyrone in contrast use pace and patience to break down defences. They either run around the rim at pace looking for an opening or they hit to a pacy runner who finds a yard or two to strike. We on the other hand tended to either play the ball in too early or just stop running making it easy to defend against. In short, we struggle to play in a crowd.

Individually, I thought there were plenty of stand out performances. David Seale had a fine game and is really growing. When he attacks the ball he is very effective and didn't look at all out place. Cotter slotted in well for Timmons (injured?). Robbie Keogh was again hugely influential in the high turnover rate. Lillis neutralized Cavanagh for the first half. Begley was excellent in general. Quigley won lots of ball but also made some awful passes. O'Loughlin was very dominant in the first half but seemed to run out of steam early. Donie did well in parts and won some great ball but he, Cahillane and Gary Walsh struggle with well organized defences. Donoher ran all day but again didn't seem to know what to do when he got beyond the 45. Conor Meredith struggled but will get better.

The big plus for me was the character and spirit of the team throughout. From how they defended in the first half to how they tore into Tyrone for the last 10 minutes and almost salvaged a draw. Didn't see who missed the goal chance but it was a real opportunity. We also were physically strong and becoming a very fit team. Considering we will have Timmons, Attride, Meaney, Evan O'Carroll, Ross and a few more U21s available later in the year, things are not so bad.

Tony

Great report, Blueandwhite. Your analysis includes some tactical analysis which a lot of posters are unable to see for themselves when they view a match. Things are looked OK - Tyrone are the best team in the League for my money. Let's not get complacent, we are good enough to stay up. We really need to make it count against the likes of Cavan and Meath.

Unlaoised

Next week is massive now...

The lads can take great heart from a performance like that.

Spells in the first half were like a championship game it was that pacey and intense..

Colm Begley was superb...cotter seale and Lillis were also very good.

Paul Kingston and Rory O'Connor were decent as impact subs..Quigley was superb all be it a bit rusty on the ball ..

Thought Brody's kickouts were outstanding

A lot to be pleased about and a bit of luck at then end we could have snatched a late goal but for a great save.
LAOIS ABÚ

maccer

Very good performance. Everyone fought until the end. Lost their way a bit in the 3rd quarter but came back strongly. Moved the ball very well at times but occasionally resorted to long hopeful balls into the full forward line which Tyrone lapped up.
they are so well drilled and never seem to switch off or hesitate. When they attack runners go each side of the ball. We still don't do that every time. I think that's why Niall donoher and Paul cahillane seemed to be running aimless at times, they had no support. Not picking on him cos i thought he gave an outstanding display but as an example at 1 stage in the 1st half Robbie kehoe handpassed to Niall donoher on our half forward line under the stand. He immediately turned and started trotting back leaving Niall with no support. 3 Tyrone players forced Niall into the corner and turned over the ball. They then immediately attacked at pace and scored. In a similar situation their cornerback would have continued running to support and his position would be covered. It's a tough disciplined game they play. You need to be extremely fit, fully focussed and prepared to work. It will take our lads a while to completely tune in but they showed signs yesterday they can play that type of game to a decent level.
big game now next week

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great comments lads and I fully agree with blue and white in everything he says. I think this is the strongest squad we have had for a long time and they never gave up even when the game seemed well out of their reach. I was very happy with that performance and to run a team like that so close says a lot for them. After they scored the goal I thought we would lie down and take the beating but we actually improved and we held them scoreless in that final 29 minutes.
During that time we also missed three very scorable points and with a bit of luck could have had the ball in the back of the net. Our subs all performed very well and with the return of a few more we will also have a reasonably strong bench to pick from which will keep everyone on their toes. This team will only get better and they need all of our support. Lets get behind them and maybe we can get a few more good days up in Croker....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

Would also agree with the comments above.

It was a good performance and the lads showed a belief in their own abilities, which was really good to see. I was really impressed with Quigley and JOL back together against a much vaunted Tyrone pairing (in fairness, Donnelly did well too). Shows that in that department, we're as good as anyone. I was also very surprised at Begley's performance in his own full-back line. The idea of playing Begley on the full-back line was mentioned on here some time ago and to be honest I thought it was a mad idea. However, he did really well there on Sunday.

Having said all that, I think we can learn a lot from the quality of Tyrone's link-up play, which really showed what a well-coached team they are. If we could get the ball moving a little quicker with better movement from the advanced players, we could be a lot more dangerous.

Still, there is progress to be seen and that's positive. Funny how there's always less commentary after a decent performance.......

OTF

To be honest I thought the final score flattered us somewhat, we were poxed not to concede a second goal and it looked like Tyrone took their foot off the gas. Having said that they were hanging on for dear life at the end.
Tyrone positioned all their big men around the D and rarely did any of them go forward, in trying to break them down we had to commit a lot of bodied forward,when the inevitable turn over arrived we were unable to cope with the speed of their counterattack. We have the big men to play this game also what we were lacking Sunday was real pace, Farrell and O Carroll were a big loss in that regard.

Lillis in fairness put in  OConnor  and O Reilly to thy and counteract the pace and these changes may have helped wit our comeback.

Now  that we're warming to the idea of Beagle in the fullback line I'd like to see Meredith get a run there , strong and aggressive and he ain't a forward.  :)

Unlaoised

Quote from: OTF on March 01, 2016, 01:35:40 PM
To be honest I thought the final score flattered us somewhat, we were poxed not to concede a second goal and it looked like Tyrone took their foot off the gas. Having said that they were hanging on for dear life at the end.
Tyrone positioned all their big men around the D and rarely did any of them go forward, in trying to break them down we had to commit a lot of bodied forward,when the inevitable turn over arrived we were unable to cope with the speed of their counterattack. We have the big men to play this game also what we were lacking Sunday was real pace, Farrell and O Carroll were a big loss in that regard.

Lillis in fairness put in  OConnor  and O Reilly to thy and counteract the pace and these changes may have helped wit our comeback.

Now  that we're warming to the idea of Beagle in the fullback line I'd like to see Meredith get a run there , strong and aggressive and he ain't a forward.  :)

Didn't think the scoreline flattered us we matched them for the first half and Mickey Harte himself said he thought they were fortunate to be ahead at half time...

Not sure what happened for that 15 minutes spell after half time but it seem to come from our forwards letting the man out too easy but Tyrone got away with fouling the ball for the goal the man took 11 steps beating two Laois players before soloing it which opened up the whole picture..

Thought Brody did well for the second scramble and a shot before that..

That Said kingston had a great chance for a goal with about 10 minutes left and Laois also worked another goal chance that lead to a Ruari O Connor point.

Without repeating myself I think its a performance all the players should take great heart from.

Fermanagh might have a great home record of late but we have the players back now to trouble them and I think we can sneak the two points that will be on offer!

Fermanagh since 2014 in Enniskillen have beaten Meath, Louth,Tipperary Limerick,Sligo,Wexford, Offaly, in the league at home In the championship They have beaten Antrim twice,Roscommon once...They have lost just two games being Antrim in Championship and Roscommon in the league in that time.

In our last meeting we beat them it was Championship in June 2014 we beat them 1-19 to 2-15 in O'Moore park.

Laois team that day was
LAOIS: G Brody; P McMahon, D Booth, P O'Leary; D Strong (0-03, 2 45), P Begley (0-01), C Begley (0-01); C Meredith (0-02), J O'Loughlin; J Finn, R Munnelly (0-04, 2f), N Donoher; B Sheehan (1-00), D Kingston (0-06, 1f), D Conway (0-01).
Subs: K Meaney (0-01) for Finn (29); S Attride for Conway (49); C Coss for O'Loughlin (52); D O'Connor for Sheehan (70).

We played them in 2009 at home in the league on a Saturday eveing if my memory serves me right we battered them...

Just remember Team being along the lines of Nolan, P Begley,(Full back can't remember)Stapelton, Rooney,Reddin ,McMahon,Clancy,Meaney,Bruno,Quigley,Sheenan,Mj,Ross,Donie

Anyone shed and more light?

LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on March 02, 2016, 09:43:44 AM
Quote from: OTF on March 01, 2016, 01:35:40 PM

Not sure what happened for that 15 minutes spell after half time but it seem to come from our forwards letting the man out too easy but Tyrone got away with fouling the ball for the goal the man took 11 steps beating two Laois players before soloing it which opened up the whole picture..

Make no mistake they blew us away during that spell, from the 30 minute of the first half until 60 minute went from 1st gear to 4th looked like.
But hey ....they are a top team that's what you'd expect.

Fermanagh are nearer to our level won't have as much pace should be close.

les Antiques

If anyone is heading to Enniskillen this weekend a few places to head for drinks would be The Devenish and Crows Nest both central enough and for some food Cafe Merlot is quite good and all these are walking distance to Brewster Park .
Not an easy place to go but its welcoming to see Lillis getting everyone back on board this year . Let's Keep the positivity going and as another poster mentioned Fermanagh in many ways are similar to us and we can definitely break that 2 year home unbeaten record they have .
It will be another battle but with Quigley,Meredith and Begley having a game under there belts a win and performance Sunday is on the cards .

Unlaoised

Heard Blakes Bar on the hollow serves up a mean pint of stout.....

Could be a right little road trip!Might see if I can get up there nice spin.Pity its not a Saturday night game!
LAOIS ABÚ