Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2014, 09:36:38 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2014, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 02, 2014, 05:27:37 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 02, 2014, 05:05:57 PM
'Cat malojan' for something really bad. Can be abbreviated to 'cat'.
Yep, we had 'cat malogen' in Mayo also so the term seems to have been widespread. It could be shortened to 'cat' alright also but 'pure cat' was the epitome of badness.
I always assumed it was 'melodeon' - the musical instrument which is often pronounced 'malojan' by Irish people. A melodeon being a vaguely ludicrous type of a yoke, I suppose.

Anyone ever hear the expression 'mahogany gas pipe'? For some reason, it used to be said as a supposedly comical expression in Irish by people who didn't speak Irish - 'sea, ní hea, mahogany gas pipe'.
I think it originated with Flann OBrien, Hardy. There was a restaurant in Dunlin in the early 90s called Mahogany gaspipe.

It could be Flann/Myles OK, though I don't remember seeing it in his stuff.

I just googled there and it seems a very commonly known phrase. I didn't think it was.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2014, 09:36:38 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2014, 09:33:31 PM
Yep, we had 'cat malogen' in Mayo also so the term seems to have been widespread. It could be shortened to 'cat' alright also but 'pure cat' was the epitome of badness.
I always assumed it was 'melodeon' - the musical instrument which is often pronounced 'malojan' by Irish people. A melodeon being a vaguely ludicrous type of a yoke, I suppose.

Anyone ever hear the expression 'mahogany gas pipe'? For some reason, it used to be said as a supposedly comical expression in Irish by people who didn't speak Irish - 'sea, ní hea, mahogany gas pipe'.
I think it originated with Flann OBrien, Hardy. There was a restaurant in Dunlin in the early 90s called Mahogany gaspipe.

Ta mahogany gaspipe agus hole i mo wall was the old phrase

ONeill

Ta me mahogany gaspipe cocker spaniel
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Cat used like that is widespread in the north, but this is the first time I've ever heard Cat malojan used like that. I've heard of cat malojan, not something that came up very often, but never knew what it meant. I thought it was just somebody's name and thought no more of it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 02, 2014, 05:00:31 PM
Always thought everyone said "red up" for tidy up, tidy up would hardly be used in Derry, nearly always red up used. Talking to a Belfast man recently and he had to ask me what it meant.

Red up is used in North Armagh for tidy up, but also for judgmentally talking ill of somebody. If you're clearing something out then that's having a red out.

Eamonnca1

Taking a hand at - To make fun of, usually to the victim's face but without them knowing. The D in hand is usually silent.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 03, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Cat used like that is widespread in the north, but this is the first time I've ever heard Cat malojan used like that. I've heard of cat malojan, not something that came up very often, but never knew what it meant. I thought it was just somebody's name and thought no more of it.
It might have come from the idea of a cat playing an instrument representing very poor quality. In Chinese there's the term "three legged cat kung fu" and it stands for the same thing.
Tyrone were real three legged cat kung fu the last day.

Rossfan

Same in Roscommon.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

People have been saying it all my life where I come from.

haveaharp

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 03, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Also Cat baloo

An Gaeilgoir

Also, Continental....

He didn't give a continental F**k, i dont give a continental f**k.......

whitey

One they use down in Mayo to describe someone under the influence of drink......Melodian

armaghniac

I imagine "Cat" is a word of Latin origin. Not sure why it seems more common in Ireland than Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
I imagine "Cat" is a word of Latin origin. Not sure why it seems more common in Ireland than Britain.

The irish language is closer to latin in terms of syntax etc than English so I would say it might be something to do with that.