Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

qwerty123

Does anyone know what the phrase ' That's where Aughrim was lost' means?  I was reading Behan's 'After the wake' and found it strange. Context suggests it means something like 'that's where things took a turn for the worst' or showing deep dissatisfaction. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: qwerty123 on March 11, 2013, 10:12:39 AM
Does anyone know what the phrase ' That's where Aughrim was lost' means?  I was reading Behan's 'After the wake' and found it strange. Context suggests it means something like 'that's where things took a turn for the worst' or showing deep dissatisfaction.

That would refer to the Battle of Aughrim (Galway), in 1691, and which was actually much more significant (in terms of Gaelic loss) than the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aughrim
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

spuds

It refers to the Battle of Aughrim, Co. Galway of 1691. It was the decisive battle as mentioned here in Wikipedia
Quote.   The Battle of Aughrim (Irish: Cath Eachroma) was the decisive battle of the Williamite War in Ireland. It was fought between the Jacobites and the forces of William III on 12 July 1691 (old style, equivalent to 22 July new style), near the village of Aughrim in County Galway.

The battle was one of the more bloody recorded fought on Irish soil – over 7,000 people were killed. It meant the effective end of Jacobitism in Ireland, although the city of Limerick held out until the autumn of 1691.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

Quote from: spuds on March 11, 2013, 10:22:25 AM
It refers to the Battle of Aughrim, Co. Galway of 1691. It was the decisive battle as mentioned here in Wikipedia
Quote.   The Battle of Aughrim (Irish: Cath Eachroma) was the decisive battle of the Williamite War in Ireland. It was fought between the Jacobites and the forces of William III on 12 July 1691 (old style, equivalent to 22 July new style), near the village of Aughrim in County Galway.

The battle was one of the more bloody recorded fought on Irish soil – over 7,000 people were killed. It meant the effective end of Jacobitism in Ireland, although the city of Limerick held out until the autumn of 1691.
Jacobitism in Ireland lasted until the time of the French revolution . It never achieved anything but there was no alternative since the  English never got the locals to adopt Hanoverism.

"Remember Fontenoy" was all about beating the crap out of the English but it didn't happen in Ireland

Lar Naparka

In keeping with the general tone of this topic, here's another bit of absolutely useless information.
After the Battle of Aughrim, hundreds of cavalry horses were left on the battlefield.
Farmers for miles around saw their opportunity and spirited as many as they could and hid them until things got back to normal again. As war horses of the time were of a far higher standard than the local yokes, this improved the general standard no end.
There were  fairs in Ballinasloe for centuries before this but it was soon to become the most important horse fairs in the country as a consequence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

qwerty123

I'm just wondering is it a saying that is used much?  Beehan is a master at capturing Hiberno-English speech and I just thought that the phrase must have been  (or still is) in currency somewhere.
Here's the line from the book ('After the Wake')
"The waistcoat was all right, and anyway the coat would cover it.  But the coat itself, that was where Aughrim was lost."
That's where things took a nose dive/went t*ts up?

Fear ón Srath Bán

I would say that the meaning is more like 'the acquisition of the coat was where my finances took a terminal nosedive', or something like that (depending on context).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Shamrock Shore

D'aul rip - a woman who has annoyed one to a significant degree.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 11, 2013, 11:23:39 AM
In keeping with the general tone of this topic, here's another bit of absolutely useless information.
After the Battle of Aughrim, hundreds of cavalry horses were left on the battlefield.
Farmers for miles around saw their opportunity and spirited as many as they could and hid them until things got back to normal again. As war horses of the time were of a far higher standard than the local yokes, this improved the general standard no end.
There were  fairs in Ballinasloe for centuries before this but it was soon to become the most important horse fairs in the country as a consequence.

Thanks for that Lar!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Selection from the Irish times especially courts and GAA sections.

I love reading interviews with Davy Fitz, Anthony Daly and Babs. They have such richness of expression. 

don't be getting caught up in the big occasion

I will give it a go

let them at it

As for the hurling, it was pretty much as Fitzgerald colourfully described it: absolutely cat.

God love them

Galway went down the field

But I'd be happy with the performance

And the two of them from Feakle,
"He'd be out hunting with the dogs there. You'd meet him and he'd be so enthusiastic, 'The brain on him is unbelievable sure.
"No better man,

because he's brutal

Give over you!

Where do they think they're going with their

A spokesman for the group said that it was "well able to pay its debts and has no plans for any asset disposals".

she was wheeled in casual as you like

Grand so

don't know whether they're coming or going

Great point in the first half when canning horsed the full back out of it and hit it over

a wild pull

"it would be boiling".

Dr Farrell said he accepted Ms Johnson's evidence that the flat was not freezing cold

Not a snowballs.

foosterer

look what the cat dragged in

God loves a trier

mind you

no harm

lose the run of themselves

buidin foolish

andoireabu

coggily (pronounced co-gilly) a load thats unsteady or wobbly.

hefty

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Orior

You've probably all heard of thingamabob, and thingamajig.

But has anyone else heard of thingmadiary or thingamadiary? I'm wondering is it a south Down term only?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

Anyone hear of 'Kennat'? Not sure how you spell it. It's like an affectionate name for a messer, usually for a very young child. 'You're a little kennat'. Used around Westmeath and Offaly, and now, thanks to me, North Tipp.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2014, 11:52:34 AM
Anyone hear of 'Kennat'? Not sure how you spell it. It's like an affectionate name for a messer, usually for a very young child. 'You're a little kennat'. Used around Westmeath and Offaly, and now, thanks to me, North Tipp.

Are you sure that's not just a colloquial version of a similar sounding word? ;)