Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on March 01, 2013, 09:30:52 PM
Eat is ate and ate is ate

Around our way eat is ate and ate is et.

ONeill

Revision:

Eat is ate and ate is at.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Mirror is mirrr.

Jever. As in, do you ever....?

5 Sams

Quote from: ONeill on March 02, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
Mirror is mirrr.

We say filum they film. In Newry it's cyar instead of car. Mannikin Street instead of Monaghan St. And that wee furry yoke that shites in your garden and chases mice is a cyat!!!!
The Aristocrat Years

stew

Dart as in "feck, I'd love to give hur the dart.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Aerlik

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 28, 2013, 11:53:10 AM

Definitely an Ulster thing...same with the pronunciation of the name Haughey.

Ulster says Hawkey
Rest say Hawhee

I beg to differ.  Perhaps in East Ulster, eg. Down and Antrim where I have noticed what Seamus Heaney referred to as "guttural muse" is not as prevalent.  I once read that it was/is a deliberate policy to "unIrish" the pronunciation of words/placenames, eg. LepraKaun/Leprechaun etc. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ziggy90

In parts of the west 'abroad', as in "I was abroad in the field/bog".
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ONeill

Quote from: Aerlik on March 02, 2013, 10:46:36 AM

Ulster says Hawkey
Rest say Hawhee

I beg to differ.  Perhaps in East Ulster, eg. Down and Antrim where I have noticed what Seamus Heaney referred to as "guttural muse" is not as prevalent.  I once read that it was/is a deliberate policy to "unIrish" the pronunciation of words/placenames, eg. LepraKaun/Leprechaun etc.

Agree. It's more of a Belfast/Down thing to pronounce the GH as a K. The locals pronounce Finaghy as Fin - ak - ee whereas I'd say Fin - a - he must to their amusement the wastards.

andoireabu

Quote from: ONeill on March 02, 2013, 11:32:46 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on March 02, 2013, 10:46:36 AM

Ulster says Hawkey
Rest say Hawhee

Agree. It's more of a Belfast/Down thing to pronounce the GH as a K. The locals pronounce Finaghy as Fin - ak - ee whereas I'd say Fin - a - he must to their amusement the wastards.
Don't mean this in a bad way but around my area it seemed that Catholics and Protestants said places differently.  Like Bellaghy/Bellacky Maghera/Mackera etc.  Never knew why the 'gh' got a 'k'
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 02, 2013, 12:39:19 AM
In Newry it's cyar instead of car. ... And that wee furry yoke that shites in your garden and chases mice is a cyat!!!!

That goes up as far as Lurgan too.  Belfast people skip out the Y and it sounds odd to Lurgan ears.

Eamonnca1

BennyCake

AQMP

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 02, 2013, 12:39:19 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 02, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
Mirror is mirrr.

We say filum they film. In Newry it's cyar instead of car. Mannikin Street instead of Monaghan St. And that wee furry yoke that shites in your garden and chases mice is a cyat!!!!

This is a hangover from Irish.  The addition of a 'u' sound to film (filum) and Colm (Colum) is an example of what is called an epenthetic vowel. "Umberella" is another example.  There are also epenthetic consonants e.g. many GAA fans will make a couple of loaves of "sangwiches" on the morning of a big game.

seafoid

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 02, 2013, 11:21:36 AM
In parts of the west 'abroad', as in "I was abroad in the field/bog".
"Abroad" is a literal translation of "thall" from Irish. 

"Thall i Meiriceá" is "Over in America" or "Abroad in America". English has 2 words where Irish has one. 

I remember when I was young listening to an elderly neighbour who said "Tommy is abroad in the workshop" . I was confused because I thought the workshop down the road was still in Ireland.