Words only the Irish use.

Started by SidelineKick, December 05, 2008, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: GAA_Talk on February 16, 2013, 12:46:25 AM
What about saying 'so I did' and 'so I am' at the end of sentences. As in "I was down at the pub all day so I was" or about other people. "he played well so he did."

Always have a wee laugh when I hear that so I do.

Thats a hangover from Irish so it is (as far as I understand).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AQMP

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 16, 2013, 11:15:57 AM
What about saying 'so I did' and 'so I am' at the end of sentences. As in "I was down at the pub all day so I was" or about other people. "he played well so he did."

As are things like "Are you heading to the pub?" "I am" (instead of "yes")

"I'm after losing me wallet" versus "I've just lost my wallet"

and I believe "The day that's in it" amongst others

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AQMP on February 16, 2013, 11:44:14 AM

Hiberno-English seems to be funny, romantic, nice to listen too, confusing to outsiders, probably due to the way Irish people speak it, using words and patterns of speach from older versions of English and our other languages.

Irish has had huge influences on how we speak English.

It seems Hiberno-English, which is the language/dialect most people in Ireland speak (probably followed by Mid-Ulster English, which is not the same as Ulster-Scots), is heavily influenced by historicaly commonly or regionaly spoken languages across Ireland. These would include Old-English (Irish interpretation of the word) with it's influences from the diverse group that made up this section of our heritage (excluding native Irish & Norse who may have later intermarried and joined this group), Welsh-Norman, English/French Norman, French, Saxon-English, Breton, Cornish, ancestors of mordern Flemish and Frisians (not the cows) all brought their influences to our version of English (& even Irish).

Norse was the main language of some small areas of Ireland.

Yola (South Wexford older varient of English with Irish and Norman influences) were both spoken in Ireland.

Ulster-Scots (dialect of Lowland Scots, which in itself has Northumbrian-English/Germanic, Scots-Gaelic/Irish, Cumbric/North Welsh, Norse, Pictish influences).

The various Traveller languages.

Hebrew, Yiddish and Latin of course would have been spoken in ancient and medievel Ireland.

Other immigrant groups/refugees/colonists etc, such as Galloglass Scots (Norse-Gaels), Palatine Germans, Huguenots, Napoleonic French soldiers, Spaniards from the Armada may have influenced their locality, but I cannot think if they did it could have been significant as I can't think of any words.

On a side note, if Irish is encouraged in the Republic, many nationalist schools and among unionists interested in their Gaelic heritage and if Ulster Scots is being encouraged by those interested in their Lowland Scots heritage. Many others argue that immigrants shoulds be made learn English. Perhaps the people of Dublin should be taught Norse, as the city's origins are Scandinavian rather than Irish or British.

leenie

in cork " i will yeah"  means No ....

was quite confusing to those not from cork..

the other day at work i said to someone from belfast "sure im not as slow as i walk easy" and they had never heard that sayin ... had to explain it to them
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Orior

Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2013, 12:38:10 AM
Is this a nationwide one?...

Look at the 'cut' o' that!... As in, look at the state of him/her/it.

That must be a shortening of "I like the cut of his jib"

Origin: The jib of a sailing ship is a triangular sail set between the foretopmast head and the jib boom. Some ships had more than one jib sail. Each country had its own style of sail and so the nationality of a sailing ship, and a sailor's consequent opinion of it, could be determined from the jib.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Orior on February 16, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2013, 12:38:10 AM
Is this a nationwide one?...

Look at the 'cut' o' that!... As in, look at the state of him/her/it.

That must be a shortening of "I like the cut of his jib"

Origin: The jib of a sailing ship is a triangular sail set between the foretopmast head and the jib boom. Some ships had more than one jib sail. Each country had its own style of sail and so the nationality of a sailing ship, and a sailor's consequent opinion of it, could be determined from the jib.

If "look at the cut of that" means the same where Bennycake is from as it does in Mayo, its negative and not likely the same as "I like the cut of his jib". In Mayo "look at the cut of that" is disapproving or even disgust (well as I have always used it).

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 16, 2013, 12:35:40 PM

Hiberno-English seems to be funny, romantic, nice to listen too, confusing to outsiders, probably due to the way Irish people speak it, using words and patterns of speach from older versions of English and our other languages.

It seems Hiberno-English, which is the language/dialect most people in Ireland speak (probably followed by Mid-Ulster English, which is not the same as Ulster-Scots), is heavily influenced by historicaly commonly or regionaly spoken languages across Ireland. These would include Old-English (Irish interpretation of the word) with it's influences from the diverse group that made up this section of our heritage (excluding native Irish & Norse who may have later intermarried and joined this group), Welsh-Norman, English/French Norman, French, Saxon-English, Breton, Cornish, ancestors of mordern Flemish and Frisians (not the cows) all brought their influences to our version of English (& even Irish).

Yola (South Wexford older varient of English with Irish and Norman influences) were both spoken in Ireland.

Ulster-Scots (dialect of Lowland Scots, which in itself has Northumbrian-English/Germanic, Scots-Gaelic/Irish, Cumbric/North Welsh, Norse, Pictish influences).

Hebrew, Yiddish and Latin of course would have been spoken in ancient and medievel Ireland.

Other immigrant groups/refugees/colonists etc, such as Galloglass Scots (Norse-Gaels), Palatine Germans, Huguenots, Napoleonic French soldiers, Spaniards from the Armada may have influenced their locality, but I cannot think if they did it could have been significant as I can't think of any words.

On a side note, if Irish is encouraged in the Republic, many nationalist schools and among unionists interested in their Gaelic heritage and if Ulster Scots is being encouraged by those interested in their Lowland Scots heritage. Many others argue that immigrants shoulds be made learn English. Perhaps the people of Dublin should be taught Norse, as the city's origins are Scandinavian rather than Irish or British.
Arra, f**k the begrudgers! ;D
I'm quite happy to speak and write in my own form of Hiberno_Irish. (Mind you, I never heard that term when I was a kid.)
If it was good enough for Yeats, Synge and Paddy Bluett, it's good enough for me.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

I'm quite happy to speak and write in my own form of Hiberno_Irish. (Mind you, I never heard that term when I was a kid.)
If it was good enough for Yeats, Synge and Paddy Bluett, it's good enough for me.

Lar, do you not mean Hiberno-English, coz Hiberno-Irish would mean Irish-Irish a bit like AIB Bank (Allied Irish Bank Bank).

I forgot to include French as a bygone language of Ireland also.

Aerlik

I'm pretty certain "bake" is a variant of "beak", a slang variation of one's mouth.

Some very interesting comments in the latter part of this thread.  Keep them coming.  "Every day is a school day"!
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 16, 2013, 02:31:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Lar, do you not mean Hiberno-English, coz Hiberno-Irish would mean Irish-Irish a bit like AIB Bank (Allied Irish Bank Bank).

I forgot to include French as a bygone language of Ireland also.
Yer dead right!
I had been thinking about the late, colourful Paddy Bluett at the time and I wasn't paying too much attention to what I was typing.
Did you ever hear of the boul' Paddy?
He used to be the Mayo team mascot for years and he sure didn't speak with a refined, upper class accent. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

No Soloing

Quote from: Aerlik on February 16, 2013, 02:54:15 PM
I'm pretty certain "bake" is a variant of "beak", a slang variation of one's mouth.

Some very interesting comments in the latter part of this thread.  Keep them coming.  "Every day is a school day"!

I was often told by my mum to 'shut yer bake'. Another one was 'shut yer cakehole' - though she would say keekhole instead
I think I grew up not too far from you, Aerlik

There was also 'tara' meaning terrible

Other people mentioned 'cat' or 'ket'. I understand this is a shortening of 'cat meloden' -  meloden is an accordian. So it ws about bad accordian playing and then was applied to other things

ThroughTheLaces

One of my favourites is sticking the word 'got' on to the end of sentence to show how thing have changed:

You're tara grumpy got.

It's awful stuffy got.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

ApresMatch

That type of sh#!* just sickens my hole!! More of a phrase, but yad only get an Irish man saying it!!

seafoid

"Other immigrant groups/refugees/colonists etc, such as Galloglass Scots (Norse-Gaels), Palatine Germans, Huguenots, Napoleonic French soldiers, Spaniards from the Armada may have influenced their locality, but I cannot think if they did it could have been significant as I can't think of any words."

Many of the words they introduced are still in Irish. Latin is there with Infernum/Ifreann (Hell), Maledictus/Mallacht (curse) Scribe/Scriobh (To write)

Vikings brought words like Bád/Boat and Bord/Table

Normans brought words like Chapelle/Séipéal (chapel) Ecole/Scoil (School) , Garcon/Gasúr (Boy) , Chambre/Seomra (room)
I read somewhere that Plámás may be derived from the French word "Blancmange"

This is quite an interesting link

http://www.uni-due.de/LI/Anglo_Norman.htm#loans

take_yer_points

We answer our own questions:

"Do you want the kettle on? Yeah?"

"Where'd you go at the weekend? Up the town?"

Still asked as a question but preempting the answer I suppose