Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Line Ball, such an appalling rant. Now that you're sober, can you try explaining:

- the "many" unsavoury incidents involving Ballyholland this year. You mentioned Glenn, now let's have the rest.

- "obviously instigated by management". How? Seriously, back this statement up with something other than conjecture, or else stop being a mouth piece. Setting a team up to be difficult to beat us not the same thing as demanding a row.

WGM a couple of weeks after Burren beat us, CPN came to Ballyholland and gave us the runaround. There were no melees, no off the ball incidents, no stand offs - an no goalkeepers running 40 yards to clip one of our players. I'm not Mourinho esque in my opinions, not even close. But some clubs choose to try to break down our defensive structures with aggressive play, and some do not. The unsavoury matches tend to be in the former group.

Town Gael, it takes more than one man to start a fight, let alone a melee. If it's only person, it's a beating. Time to your horse called righteousness and put him back in the stalls.

whitegoodman

U usually like to have the last word on these things so il leave you to it.  You still haven't told me about the numourous brawls involving the clubs I mentioned.  If you are happy with the behaviour of your club this year so be it.

Charlie good lad, go and get that usual stick and beat me with it.  Whenever you get an original one il take you a bit more seriously.

This place is getting worse....

GreenGiant

The county board need to come down on the bridge and kilcoo for their antics last weekend.  Imposing an eye-watering 5k fine on Glenn for a scrap earlier on in the year so let's just see how much they fine the two 'heavyweights'!

GreenGiant

Rumour has it Michael Murtagh will be moving into the Glenn senior management team next year - this is on the back of Glenn's reserve team performances (he is also a karate black belt if it kicks off again anytime next season)

6th sam

I would agree with wobbler, I don't believe there is a club in Down that haven't been involved in a melee. These are regular events , and have proven difficult to prevent and police . Don't underestimate the psychological influence of the group mentality. Do we really expect a team of lifelong mates (that has trained together  all year , and are riled up by prematch team talks and huddles) , to stand idly by when one of their own are targeted. It's a natural reaction to try to protect your teammate and defend your teams honour. In reality , most of these melees , amount to pushing and pulling, with very few punches being thrown, as players probably realise that a punch is quite likely to be spotted in this environment. The difficulty is that these melees reflect badly on our sport, not least because in most cases , they are grossly exaggerated, ("all hell broke loose", " never seen anything like it") . Wobbler has highlighted the reasons why these appear to be on the increase, and I think the single biggest factor , is the change from time to match suspensions.
I can't comment on Ballyholland this year because I haven't seen them play, but I think no club is whiter than white.

qubdub

Quote from: thewobbler on October 04, 2015, 10:16:30 AM
Town Gael, it takes more than one man to start a fight, let alone a melee. If it's only person, it's a beating. Time to your horse called righteousness and put him back in the stalls.
You obviously didn't see Shane O'Hare work his magic v Kilcoo

bridgegael

a monumental amount of shite posted on here in the last day. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

redandblackareback

Was anyone actually at the game yesterday and can report what happened? Surely it couldn't have been worse than what went on in Newry last week!

super reds 99

I was at the game last night and after 20 mins the 2 number eights went for a ball the Ballyholland 8 fouled the Castlewellan player and held on to him so he couldn't hit a quick free the Castlewellan player through a arm back and the Ballyholland player reacted and swung a couple of punches at him when they a lot off players got involved after it had calmed down a bit the Ballyholland player took another go at a Castlewellan player the ref then sent.both players off and warned them that eny more off that the game would be abandoned after this their wasn't a bad tackle in the game

Line Ball

I heard today the proposed changes to the underage structure for next year have been abandoned and rather than U13, U15, U17 & U19 which they had planned, the ages will not change and will remain as they always have been. Anyone else hear this?

wobbller

Quote from: Line Ball on October 04, 2015, 08:38:20 PM
I heard today the proposed changes to the underage structure for next year have been abandoned and rather than U13, U15, U17 & U19 which they had planned, the ages will not change and will remain as they always have been. Anyone else hear this?
Think they are going to have another vote on it.

umpire

Brilliant result for Rostrevor's miners, congratulations to players and management.

snoopdog

Quote from: umpire on October 04, 2015, 08:57:01 PM
Brilliant result for Rostrevor's miners, congratulations to players and management.

Did they find gold? Or was it just something minor?

EIREANNACH

Quote from: wobbller on October 04, 2015, 08:53:54 PM

hope it does not change. it will not bode well for Down football which is already in a precarious state

Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

johnneycool

Quote from: EIREANNACH on October 04, 2015, 11:57:58 PM
Quote from: wobbller on October 04, 2015, 08:53:54 PM

hope it does not change. it will not bode well for Down football which is already in a precarious state

Heard that at an underage blitz at the weekend.

Bit late for changing tack now, although the issue highlighted to me, the big gap between P6 and U13 would be easily remedied by moving P6 to P7, P4 to P5 and so on!

I'd have more concerns as we play a lot of underage hurling in Belfast (and if the fixtures don't improve next year, we'll be playing a lot more) we'd be playing the traditional age groups one week and then the new ones the next.

Plus, how do we decide who represents the county at inter provincial club tournaments like Ulster minor, Feile and whatever else?