The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteWhat a load of old nonsense. . . I don't remember Seamus Power playing an Irish Open yet why isn't he getting lambasted the same??

Well your spouting nonsense there. Power is just about clinging to his tour card these days. I'm sure if he had a few majors under his belt and his money made for life he would be able to focus some attention on the Irish Open.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

dec

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-likely-to-miss-2019-irish-open-at-lahinch-1.3696607

From last November

Rory McIlroy could miss the 2019 Irish Open at Lahinch Golf Club based on a revised playing schedule that will see him spend the majority of the first eight months of the year in America but more pertinently in reverting to what proved a successful on-course formula while winning his four Majors.McIlroy has said that he will play "Irish or Scottish," as one of the four events that he requires to retain his membership of the European Tour, a status on which he will take a view next year; just for 2019 though as he wants to continue playing in the Ryder Cup. The next biennial match takes place at Whistling Straits in 2020, meaning he can take a step back from the Tour next year without any effect on his chances of qualifying.
The other tournament to which he is already committed is the Omega European Masters at Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club in Switzerland.
The 29-year-old Northern Ireland golfer, speaking ahead of the DP World Tour Championship which starts on Thursday, explained that in three of his four Major wins, he played the week before and that is a strategy he may reprise next season.
If that is the case then he will play the Scottish Open at the Renaissance golf club, a tournament that takes place the week preceding the 148th British Open Championship at Royal Portrush, for what will be the fourth Major in the schedule from next year, as the US PGA Championship has switched to May....

Puckoon

Quote from: highorlow on February 21, 2019, 02:07:48 PM
QuoteYeah it's been known for at least a month he's not playing the Irish Open this year . . . he basically brought the tournament back from the dead he doesn't owe it anything!

I would have thought he owes it to the GUI and the Island of Ireland though and any fans he has left.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/roy-curtis-rory-mcilroys-irish-open-snub-an-insult-to-national-intelligence-and-paul-mcginley-37838811.html

After this decision I hope he never wins another tournament.

No, what does he owe anyone? The GUI and Island of Ireland has benefited plenty from McIlroy, so I'd like to know what you think he continues to owe them above his professional efforts in his field. Do you collect your paychecks or go into your annual reviews with the Island of Ireland as your primary stakeholder?

Some clowns in Irish sports on the fanbase side of things.

screenexile

Quote from: highorlow on February 21, 2019, 03:25:10 PM
QuoteWhat a load of old nonsense. . . I don't remember Seamus Power playing an Irish Open yet why isn't he getting lambasted the same??

Well your spouting nonsense there. Power is just about clinging to his tour card these days. I'm sure if he had a few majors under his belt and his money made for life he would be able to focus some attention on the Irish Open.

Surely he can play the European Tour anytime he wants if he's on the PGA . . . sure that's worse than the Zika excuse!!!

Applesisapples

Really who gives a fcuk, let go and play the Scottish and British Opens if he wants. I'd rather watch Tiger spitting phlegm.

Boycey

Rory teeing off in Mexico in about 10mins, he's been warming up with a 'Fcuk Ireland' t-shirt on him  :o

trailer

Some arseholes about. Irish open would've folded a few years ago if it weren't for him. People would rather fawn over Mickelson that give Rory the credit he deserves.

heganboy

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2019, 06:31:20 PM
Some arseholes about. Irish open would've folded a few years ago if it weren't for him. People would rather fawn over Mickelson that give Rory the credit he deserves.

+1
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

quit yo jibbajabba

lenny

Quote from: dec on February 21, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-likely-to-miss-2019-irish-open-at-lahinch-1.3696607

From last November

Rory McIlroy could miss the 2019 Irish Open at Lahinch Golf Club based on a revised playing schedule that will see him spend the majority of the first eight months of the year in America but more pertinently in reverting to what proved a successful on-course formula while winning his four Majors.McIlroy has said that he will play "Irish or Scottish," as one of the four events that he requires to retain his membership of the European Tour, a status on which he will take a view next year; just for 2019 though as he wants to continue playing in the Ryder Cup. The next biennial match takes place at Whistling Straits in 2020, meaning he can take a step back from the Tour next year without any effect on his chances of qualifying.
The other tournament to which he is already committed is the Omega European Masters at Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club in Switzerland.
The 29-year-old Northern Ireland golfer, speaking ahead of the DP World Tour Championship which starts on Thursday, explained that in three of his four Major wins, he played the week before and that is a strategy he may reprise next season.
If that is the case then he will play the Scottish Open at the Renaissance golf club, a tournament that takes place the week preceding the 148th British Open Championship at Royal Portrush, for what will be the fourth Major in the schedule from next year, as the US PGA Championship has switched to May....

If it was being played in the north he'd be playing in it. I don't know how he can say it'll affect his preparation, surely it could only help him playing on links for 3 successive weeks. I'm disappointed but not surprised. He has other major issues in his game he should be addressing which would be more beneficial than missing his national open.

Boycey

Quote from: lenny on February 21, 2019, 08:25:04 PM

From last November

If it was being played in the north he'd be playing in it. I don't know how he can say it'll affect his preparation, surely it could only help him playing on links for 3 successive weeks. I'm disappointed but not surprised. He has other major issues in his game he should be addressing which would be more beneficial than missing his national open.

Do you follow golf?

screenexile

From last November

Yeah he's shit 3 top 5s in 3 starts and just shot 8 under he should maybe retire!!

trailer

From last November

Why do you care so much if he plays in the Irish Open? Are you going to it? Did you go last year?

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2019, 10:37:51 PM

From last November

Yeah he's shit 3 top 5s in 3 starts and just shot 8 under he should maybe retire!!

His season and career will be defined by major wins not shooting one great round in mexico. It's when the pressure of majors comes around that he has the mentality issues.

lenny

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2019, 10:39:27 PM

From last November

Why do you care so much if he plays in the Irish Open? Are you going to it? Did you go last year?

I did go last year on the Friday, did you go? I won't be going this year but I like to see this wonderful tournament being supported by big names. If it was in the north mcilroy would be there.