Plumbing query

Started by turkey+ham, July 08, 2008, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey+ham

Having a new shower installed in the ensuite. Plumber came and laid the shower tray, with some sort of sealant (Clasi-seal i think) around it. Tiler came and siad that I should get the plumber to reinstall the whole shower tray with a new lead tray underneath to make sure that there will be no leaks through to the room below. What should I do? The plumber says he has never used lead trays. ??? ??? ???

Hereiam

Never heard of that one before. Usually a good sealant is all that is required. As long as it is done right there should be no problems

mannix

You need no lead liner.If you were tiling a shower floor to match the shower wall and were not using a tray then you would use a lead liner. That tiler probably spent a summer working in the usa where they use lead liners on the showers they build without using a base.
A shower tray with tile sitting over the lips of it will never leak unless you drive a hymac into it or the drain is not installed correctly.

Denn Forever

Lead liner?

I wouldn't imagine that these are used anymore due to the toxic nature of lead.  Also it would cost a bomb.  Source a different tiler or at least get a second opinion.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mournerambler

Did your tiler come to work on a push bike & use an tilly lamp for light, my point is that the days of lead trays are long gone & anyone using them does'nt have much faith in their own work.
The classi-seal that the plumber has fitted is capable of doing the same job so long as your tiler seals the shower correctly.

turkey+ham

Cheers lads. Just what I thought. Different tiler coming to finish the job.

Emmett

Hi all. For the past week I have been experiencing a problem with my Central Heating.

The boiler is firing ok and heating the majority of radiators in the house. However, 3 radiators have mainly been stone cold but not all the time - on some occasions they decide to work as normal and heat up fine.

I am assuming there could be a blockage somewhere?

Is there anything I can do to fix this without calling out an expert? I will attach images of the boiler and control panel area if that helps.

Any advice is welcomed greatly.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Emmett on December 16, 2018, 08:34:41 PM
Hi all. For the past week I have been experiencing a problem with my Central Heating.

The boiler is firing ok and heating the majority of radiators in the house. However, 3 radiators have mainly been stone cold but not all the time - on some occasions they decide to work as normal and heat up fine.

Is there anything I can do to fix this without calling out an expert? I will attach images of the boiler and control panel area if that helps.

Laoislad is the board plumber.....drop him a message

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: hardstation on December 16, 2018, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 16, 2018, 09:14:28 PM

He's a spark.

Shit that's right!  Too many pints watching the game!

ONeill

I'd say he'd try anything.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

Quote from: hardstation on December 16, 2018, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 16, 2018, 09:14:28 PM

He's a spark.

..as well as w**kstain?   ;D

east down gael

Shut all radiators bar one of the problem radiators.wait until it heats up fully,shouldn't take long as the pump is only going through it and the hot water cylinder.once it's heated up,close it and move onto the next problem radiator.repeat this on all three.if there is some sort of minor blockage,it will blow it out.if you have thermostatic radiator valves,use these to close the radiators,as using the lockshield valves could result in a balance problem in your system.

Itchy

Not a plumber but isnt the most likely issue air locks? You can normally "bleed" the radiators using a special tool, if you hear the hissing of air coming out then this is your issue.

Main Street

The needle inside the radiator  thermostat can be stuck, locked shut, and no hot water can enter.
To prove that, you twist off the thermostat and the hot water should flow in to the rad.

But it would be unlikely to have 3 out with that same issue,  unless........

Emmett

Thanks all. EDG's solution appears to have solved the problem