Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 03, 2009, 08:49:11 AM
QuoteRJJ's game was up years ago. He should have quit after demolishing Ruiz. Regardless of what people say, I believe in his prime he'd have beaten Collins, Calzaghe, Cwis, Benn- the lot of them. Best boxer I've ever seen in my lifetime. Blinding speed, ferocious power and he rarely got tagged. Really hope he doesn't try to squeeze one last pay day and have the Hopkins fight go ahead anyway- it would be like the Mayweather-Judah fight.

Agree with you completely.  I used to watch alot of him years ago around the time he suffered his first loss (technically a loss but he was disqualified for hitting Montell Griffin when hed had been knocked down).  He was unbelievable in his prime, the best I have ever seen.  He has already fought on too long and he has already dented his legacy.

See Hopkins won last night in New Orleans against some Mexican lad. Says he wants Haye but there's definitely still the possibility of the RJJ fight happening.

bridgegael

does any of ya's know if the kevin mitchell/bredis presscott fight is on the same card as khan??  if not is it being shown anywhere??  should be decent fight,  have always liked mitchell as a fighter and a win here would be great for him.

is khan fihht PPV??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: bridgegael on December 05, 2009, 05:05:53 PM
does any of ya's know if the kevin mitchell/bredis presscott fight is on the same card as khan??  if not is it being shown anywhere??  should be decent fight,  have always liked mitchell as a fighter and a win here would be great for him.

is khan fihht PPV??

Mitchell fight is on the same card as Khan and yes its pay per view. Not sure if it's worth paying for this one or not especially with the free boxing on rte.

longrunsthefox

Should this not be St Stephen's thread  :o

bridgegael

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on December 05, 2009, 06:29:48 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on December 05, 2009, 05:05:53 PM

is khan fihht PPV??

Mitchell fight is on the same card as Khan and yes its pay per view. Not sure if it's worth paying for this one or not especially with the free boxing on rte.

until khan fights someone of note, i will not pay to watch him,  and after his comments yesterday its really hard to warm to him!!

near forgot bout the boxing on rte tonight.  cheers TD
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DirtyDozen12

any one any links for the khan fight?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Celt_Man

Good to see Cavan's Andy Murray winning on RTÉ there... Jaysus that Dave Boy McCauley is annoying, latches onto an idea and never shuts up about it
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

DuffleKing

Is khan on sky pay per view or who's covering it?

shambo

les than a minute your man lasted

valye for money or what?

gallsman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8402982.stm

QuoteFloyd Mayweather Jr believes he will knock out Manny Pacquiao when boxing's two biggest stars meet in 2010. The American and the Philippines star, regarded as the world's two best pound-for-pound boxers, are finalising plans for a welterweight meeting on 13 March.

And unbeaten Mayweather, 32, said: "He's been knocked out before and he's taken losses. I'll be victorious." Mayweather's bold prediction comes as two NFL stadiums are reported to be bidding to host the 'superfight'. Cowboy Stadium in Arlington, Texas, home of the Dallas Cowboys, is competing with the Superdome in New Orleans, as well as traditional boxing venue, the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The two stadiums could accommodate up to 100,000 spectators, while the MGM Grand seats about 16,000.

The latter venue staged both boxers' last fights - Filipino Pacquaio became a five-weight world champion following his WBO welterweight title win over Miguel Cotto in November, while Las Vegas-based Mayweather beat Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in September. Pacquiao's victory over Cotto completed an amazing 12 months in which he defeated ring legend Oscar de la Hoya as well as Britain's Ricky Hatton.

With the fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao expecting to surpass the previous record of $18.4m (£11,36m) for gate receipts, which was for Mayweather's bout with Oscar De La Hoya in 2007, promoters Bob Arum and Richard Schaefer are looking to maximise all possible revenues.

And Mayweather remains confident of blotting Pacquaio's record of 50 victories from 55 fights. "Pacquiao's a good fighter but I've been around the sport a long time and I've dominated boxing for around 15 years now," the American said on HBO Television's Joe Buck Live chat show.

"No-one has defeated me yet so we'll have to see. "The thing is, I don't want the fans to be really shocked by what will happen when we do happen to meet up because it's not going to be anything new."

Mayweather also admitted he has won and lost huge sums gambling on NFL matches in Las Vegas. "Two weeks ago I won like a million [dollars], that was across a week of games, Monday night, Sunday and Thursday," he added.

"I didn't lose a million but I lost a couple of hundred thousand. Then I tried to get some 'get back' and lost some more money on Brett Favre [Minnesota Vikings quarter-back]."

Really hope it's not in Cowboys stadium- the place is a monstrosity!

Archie Mitchell

Would be great to see it in a big stadium and away from Vegas.

Mayweather said he wants to fight in England as well before he retires. A few more big pay days. Could you blame him though?

Onion Bag

Pretty impressive alright Galls, would make a great spectacle, somewhere different

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!