Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 10, 2018, 12:42:29 PM
Amir Khan has signed a three fight deal with Hearn and his next fight is the same night as Framptons . Interesting move from Eddie!

Broner was the rumour yesterday

square_ball

Wonder does that make Brook-Khan more likely?

Think you're a bit harsh on Frampton there Nrico. Donaire is a huge name in boxing and that fight will tell us a lot about him. I think he gets a bye with that last fight being out if the ring that long.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2018, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 10, 2018, 10:59:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2018, 10:07:27 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 10, 2018, 09:48:41 AM
Frampton has went backward.  Should have went for a highly-rated trainer at least, promoter aside.

I think thats the only way you go when you reach the summit, 5 fights to achieve something and generate a nest egg then retire..

The fight fans will come out and should he get a Windsor park fight that would cover him comfortably, he'll be 31 very soon, so not to many years left to make another impact

No reason why he shouldn't be able to stay at the summit but for some reason (most likely financially motivated) he has went for a trainer with basically no experience and a promoter who is not top drawer either.  He isn't that old, hasn't had a load of fights and should be aiming for the big fights but recently the calibre of opponent has been a let down.

There's no let down in getting a fighter like Donaire in Belfast. Probably the best fight on paper that has ever been staged in Ireland.

Collins-Eubank.

Gabriel_Hurl

Joshua vs Parker - unification fight - March 31st in Cardiff.

The Iceman

Collins  - Eubank 1 in Cork - definitely the biggest fight in Ireland to date. I don't think Frampton's next one eclipses it.
I've a big Frampton fan - I've shared before his note and autograph to me  - he's a classy guy. I have some real concerns after his last performance and hope he can turn things around. This is a big fight, a big money fight, a big exposure fight but a very risky fight...definitely makes for interesting viewing...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The Iceman on January 15, 2018, 05:45:41 PM
Collins  - Eubank 1 in Cork - definitely the biggest fight in Ireland to date. I don't think Frampton's next one eclipses it.
I've a big Frampton fan - I've shared before his note and autograph to me  - he's a classy guy. I have some real concerns after his last performance and hope he can turn things around. This is a big fight, a big money fight, a big exposure fight but a very risky fight...definitely makes for interesting viewing...

If he were to lose, I don't think he will personally, but if he was....that would be the end of him?

The Iceman

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 16, 2018, 12:13:13 PM

If he were to lose, I don't think he will personally, but if he was....that would be the end of him?
It won't be the end of him but it certainly knocks him off the big money train? He left McGuigan for big fights, including in the U.S..I think those go away with a loss.... He deserves some good pay days, set himself up, take a media role, work with olympians, I don't know...as I said I'm a fan and want the best for him but I'm also a realist - if his performance doesn't improve from last time out his retirement plans are going to change...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

tonto1888

Quote from: The Iceman on January 16, 2018, 01:10:25 PM

It won't be the end of him but it certainly knocks him off the big money train? He left McGuigan for big fights, including in the U.S..I think those go away with a loss.... He deserves some good pay days, set himself up, take a media role, work with olympians, I don't know...as I said I'm a fan and want the best for him but I'm also a realist - if his performance doesn't improve from last time out his retirement plans are going to change...

surely he has plenty of money as it is

Milltown Row2

I'm hoping Carl has been able to assess his weaknesses from last time out... a few things i noticed was a lack of urgency when he was on top in the early rounds, dont be messing about and give the fans a show, if you can knock him out do it as soon as you can, i felt he let the other guy off the hook in the early rounds and then was drawn into a harder fight than it appeared

Hopefully he has been able to lift his fitness level so that things aren't as laboured, should the fight go the distance

Hopefully his confidence is back to where is was and that will only help his hunger to

No complacency, as this guy can punch and is very experienced...

And forget what the bookies have it at, he's not a 1/6 against this guy, I fancy this fight to go the distance but easier than last time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 16, 2018, 01:33:28 PM

How much is enough? I'm not sure what he has, Ive never asked him but should he retire after this fight he'll be 31, thats 40/50 years plus to make sure you an income to live and pay for your own life and then generate enough money so that your children and close family are comfortable.....

I'd say he's no where near got the money you think he has... he's got people to payout of his purse, once you add it all up youre not left with a big pile

Brian Magee travelled to Denmark to fight Kessler in defense of his world title, I'm nearly sure he travelled by minibus! Magee runs a sucessful gym and I'm sure if he had made it he'd be relaxing and enjoying retirement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Iceman

what is plenty of money? because he's from Tiger's bay he should be happy with what he has? or from Belfast? The more you get the more you want the more you need... I'm sure he enjoys taking care of his family, having a nice house, car and all the trimmings...300K a year lifestyle - for the next 50 years....
I don't think he has that kind of money... but he can get it if he stays on track..

tonto1888

Quote from: The Iceman on January 16, 2018, 02:00:27 PM

what is plenty of money? because he's from Tiger's bay he should be happy with what he has? or from Belfast? The more you get the more you want the more you need... I'm sure he enjoys taking care of his family, having a nice house, car and all the trimmings...300K a year lifestyle - for the next 50 years....
I don't think he has that kind of money... but he can get it if he stays on track..

maybe I phrased it wrong - and I left out a ? - but I was not referring to where he is from or suggesting he should be happy with what he has got. Obviously the more he can get the better but if he retired now would he not have plenty of money to live a comfortable life? Certainly he would have more than most?

The Iceman

retiring in his 30s to live another 40/50 years on what he has?
What's enough? I'm interested to know what you think a family could manage on per year for the next 40-50 years and be comfortable like they might be now?
I'd say he would want to be on 300K a year for the rest of his life to make sure he continues his current lifestyle, enjoys a nice house, car, holidays and all the trimmings, takes care of his kids financial future and looks after extended family. Thats 15 million in the bank before he retires..I don't think he has that?

tonto1888

Quote from: The Iceman on January 16, 2018, 02:46:13 PM
retiring in his 30s to live another 40/50 years on what he has?
What's enough? I'm interested to know what you think a family could manage on per year for the next 40-50 years and be comfortable like they might be now?
I'd say he would want to be on 300K a year for the rest of his life to make sure he continues his current lifestyle, enjoys a nice house, car, holidays and all the trimmings, takes care of his kids financial future and looks after extended family. Thats 15 million in the bank before he retires..I don't think he has that?

I have no idea but Im sure I read the Santa Cruz fights "set him up for life"?

tonto1888

a quick google search shows that boxers don't get paid as much as I thought. I guess when you see the money the like of Mayweather/Joshua got/get it skews things