Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Seems fishy enough though.  Talk emerging last week of him walking straight into a world title fight at SFW therefore there would be no point risking that for the fight he was to have as that was basically an eliminator for a FW title shot.  The opportunity to go out on a high as a 3 weight world champion would be hard to resist.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 08, 2019, 08:51:02 AM
Seems fishy enough though.  Talk emerging last week of him walking straight into a world title fight at SFW therefore there would be no point risking that for the fight he was to have as that was basically an eliminator for a FW title shot.  The opportunity to go out on a high as a 3 weight world champion would be hard to resist.
From a purely boxing standpoint he hasn't looked the same since moving up in weight in my opinion, so moving up again wouldn't be a good idea. Now it could be from a financial/legacy standpoint that it makes sense.

nrico2006

Quote from: oakleaflad on August 08, 2019, 03:37:12 PM
From a purely boxing standpoint he hasn't looked the same since moving up in weight in my opinion, so moving up again wouldn't be a good idea. Now it could be from a financial/legacy standpoint that it makes sense.

I thought he actually looked better in his first 2 FW fights than his last few at SB.  Against Quigg he was running on empty for the second half of the fight, if Quigg had stepped on the gas earlier he could have ended it.  He was also poor against Gonzalez junior too.  The jump in weight between these divisions is miniscule too.  I know his dream is to be world champion again, thats what he is aiming for.  The only thing that would supersede that is the opportunity to become a 3 weight champion, and going by reports from the weekend he can take a title fight in the SFW division next.  I think he fancies that and didn't want to jeopardise that by fighting a nobody for nothing. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

That is probably all true but he's being very transparent with the injury sustained and going through a full camp including being in Philly for the past month.

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 08, 2019, 04:16:12 PM

I thought he actually looked better in his first 2 FW fights than his last few at SB.  Against Quigg he was running on empty for the second half of the fight, if Quigg had stepped on the gas earlier he could have ended it.  He was also poor against Gonzalez junior too.  The jump in weight between these divisions is miniscule too.  I know his dream is to be world champion again, thats what he is aiming for.  The only thing that would supersede that is the opportunity to become a 3 weight champion, and going by reports from the weekend he can take a title fight in the SFW division next.  I think he fancies that and didn't want to jeopardise that by fighting a nobody for nothing.
I've checked and you are right. Don't know why I thought he'd moved up after the Santa Cruz fights and not before. That being said, he is small in height and doesn't need the extra weight imo. Again, the lure of being a 3 weight champ probably (and understandably) outweighs that. 

nrico2006

Quote from: square_ball on August 08, 2019, 04:20:09 PM
That is probably all true but he's being very transparent with the injury sustained and going through a full camp including being in Philly for the past month.

Aye, I follow him on Instagram and it was a big thing for him to be away for so long before the fight this time, I just wonder if this opportunity has only recently presented itself.  Even the article below would suggest he has his eyes on a different target and isn't interested in the Dominguez fight:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49262346

gallsman

His career best performance, the first Santa Cruz fight, was at FW, the first time he stepped up. He'll struggle to hurt people at SFW.

Edit: have just seen your update.

Boycey

Loma to make short work of Campbell tonight, good to have a fight with a decent start time....

Boycey

Ringwalks now if anyone else watching.

gallsman

Really good fight so far.

Jim Bob

Hughie Fury  bate again by an OAP

Boycey

Thought the cards were harsh on Campbell but Loma is special..

screenexile

Campbell was game but Lomachenko is a good level above him. Like the Dubs v Tyrone last year tried hard but ultimately not good enough!!

Hughie Fury should give up!!

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on August 31, 2019, 11:44:25 PM
Thought the cards were harsh on Campbell but Loma is special..

Not sure to be honest, any time Campbell had a bit of a success Loma upped it every time. Would have been stopped other than for that rugby tackle at the end of the 12th!

This Sky in-ring interviewer is a twat of the highest order.

gallsman

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 31, 2019, 11:42:09 PM
Hughie Fury  bate again by an OAP

Povetkin is no mug whatsoever. Had Joshua in all sorts of difficulty before getting stopped.