Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Can't find one (if there is one).

Anyone watch Calzaghe v Kessler? Great fight, kept you on the edge of your seat from go to wo.  Calzaghe a deserving enough winner on the volume of shots and style but Kessler had all the power, CAlzaghe could've hit him until next week and would never have knocked him down.  I'd fear for Calzaghe if he steps up to light heavy as seems to be his plan, as he really is powderpuff in the power stakes.  Kessler is a classy, powerful fighter and will surely be the next super middleweight champ if Joe moves up.  Fair play to Joe, he's up there with the greats, like Charlie Nash, hugh Russell and sam storey :P

lurganblue

i didnt see this fight but from reading some reports on it, it sounds like it was a cracker.
so is joe now going to take some fights over in the US? hopkins? what you think his chances would be at that weight? age is against him

Tyrone Dreamer

Thought it was a great fight. Calazaghe is one of the all time greats. He was struggling early when he tried to turn it into a brawl with Kessler's power but showed how adoptable he can be to pick Kessler of with clever boxing for the rest of the fight. People say he has no power but his knockout rate speaks for itself and Kessler himself admitted to be being hurt by his punches. Kesslers face looked bad enough after the fight whereas you would hardly have known Calazghe was in a fight. Id say he only has 1 or 2 fights left as age will soon catch up on him but think he should still have enough left to account for an aging Hopkins. Dont think there's any other light heavyweights that he couldnt beat. Clinton Woods is fairly usefull at that weight but dont think it would be a big enough pay day to risk taking him on.

gerry

good fight even if i had to stay up to 1am to watch it
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

behind the wire

sounds like it was a great fight. joe has said himself that hes nearly finished and will only be giving it one more year. would fancy him against hopkins i think (what age is hopkins now, must be 43 or 44) but in saying that it will probably turn into a brawl. id say that will be his next fight though as he has done all he can do at super middle.

im genuinely interested in the boxing but yet couldnt see the fight on sat night (dad wasnt at all happy with me suggesting subscription to setanta). big problem. gaa should take note.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Yer Ma

Calzaghe did very well to win on Saturday, after 6 rounds it was really touch and go, and I thought Kessler looked the stronger. However, like a great champion, he went into the trenches to take a bit out of Kessler and then jabbed well for the remaining rounds to clinch a deserved victory.

A good fight, Kessler was a very dignified loser as well, respect all round.

glens73

Calzaghe showed what an exceptional champion he was on Saturday by adapting his strategy after a nervy first 6 rounds to end up cruising away with the fight.

The fight on this Saturday, Cotto v Mosley should be an ansolute cracker, which is on Setanta. Cotto v Judah was a super fight last time and as Mosley is more disciplined than Judah he may give Cotto a lot of trouble.

behind the wire

anyone going to the duddy fight in the kings hall? tickets are £40, dunno whether to go or not. think it could be a good fight and definitely think eastman could give him his toughest fight yet. have seen him a couple of times on tv and he looks a very durable fighter. is duddy all hes cracked up to be?

Yer Ma

Quote from: behind the wire on November 05, 2007, 11:44:53 AM
anyone going to the duddy fight in the kings hall? tickets are £40, dunno whether to go or not. think it could be a good fight and definitely think eastman could give him his toughest fight yet. have seen him a couple of times on tv and he looks a very durable fighter. is duddy all hes cracked up to be?

I haven't seen him fight yet, but my Dad has and says he is too easy to hit and cuts up too much. A likeable bloke, but not top quality.

I was surprised he is fighting Eastman - Eastman is lazy and is on the decline now but he is experienced and can really dig when he decides to throw a few punches. If Eastman prepares and applies himself well, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Duddy.

McCullough is meant to be fighting on the 1st Dec as well - I don't know why they are not on the same bill and give local fight fans some good value. Brian Magee is fighting too so it would then be a decent bill, Duddy topping, followed by McCullough, then Magee. I wouldn't be surprised if the McCullough bill is cancelled mind you, he can't do the Kings Hall himself.

illdecide

Quote from: Yer Ma on November 05, 2007, 01:07:47 PM
Quote from: behind the wire on November 05, 2007, 11:44:53 AM

I haven't seen him fight yet, but my Dad has and says he is too easy to hit and cuts up too much. A likeable bloke, but not top quality.

I was surprised he is fighting Eastman - Eastman is lazy and is on the decline now but he is experienced and can really dig when he decides to throw a few punches. If Eastman prepares and applies himself well, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Duddy.

McCullough is meant to be fighting on the 1st Dec as well - I don't know why they are not on the same bill and give local fight fans some good value. Brian Magee is fighting too so it would then be a decent bill, Duddy topping, followed by McCullough, then Magee. I wouldn't be surprised if the McCullough bill is cancelled mind you, he can't do the Kings Hall himself.

Your Da knows what he's talking about. Duddy' defence is non existing and the first fight against a big hitter he will be on the canvas. (I hope i'm wrong)

The young lad from Lurgan is on that bill as well, S Haughian if he get the right men in his corner he could go places
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rav67

Calzaghe put on a great show in what was a fantastic fight, even at 35 he just was far too quick for him.  He'll step up to fight at light-heavy now, probably fight Hopkins and maybe 1 or 2 fights after that.  He'll find the step-up in weight tricky as he hasn't got the most deadly punch, but should still beat Hopkins if the fight comes about (think "the Executioner" is 42 now).

I'm no expert but have been very unimpressed any time I've seen Duddy, no way he'll ever become a world champion which is what his team seem to think.  He just gains a lot of hype as he's based in NY and is a big draw due to the Irish immigrant fanbase there.

bennydorano

Duddy, continually says himself he's nowhere near ready for a world title shot, for some reason I dont believe that he thinks that, I think he's a cocky so'n'so, who think's he's a lot better than he actually is.  Eastman could quite easily beat him.

What about Dunne, is he going to make a comeback?  Kiko Martinez will bate the dung out of him again if he does.

The Real Laoislad

Best fight ever was Rocky v Ivan Drago  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

behind the wire

as jim 'the pink panther' rock said about dunne, you can do all the weights you want but it wont put muscles on your chin.

if he is to make a comeback maybe he should be a bit more modest this time, and maybe hold his hands up a bit higher as well.

peterquaife

Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM
Duddy, continually says himself he's nowhere near ready for a world title shot, for some reason I dont believe that he thinks that, I think he's a cocky so'n'so, who think's he's a lot better than he actually is.  Eastman could quite easily beat him.

what is based on? assumptions? top lad and a decent boxer

McCullough to beat Martinez over the distance

PQ