Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on February 15, 2019, 05:40:49 PM
Martial and Lingard out for 2/3 weeks, gonna have to find a plan b as it's hard to see the players on the squad that can play the way he's been playing. Unless Lukaku on the right of Rashford, it's a role he's had success in for Belgium or even Sanchez central with Rashford and Lukaku flanking him..

United need to focus on beating Chelsea in fa cup and finishing fourth. CL is gone.

Boycey

Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2019, 05:50:35 PM
Martial and Lingard out for 2/3 weeks, gonna have to find a plan b as it's hard to see the players on the squad that can play the way he's been playing. Unless Lukaku on the right of Rashford, it's a role he's had success in for Belgium or even Sanchez central with Rashford and Lukaku flanking him..

United need to focus on beating Chelsea in fa cup and finishing fourth. CL is gone.

These are the games I'm talking about Benny

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on February 15, 2019, 06:25:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2019, 05:50:35 PM

These are the games I'm talking about Benny

Me too ;)

Beating Chelsea I would really like. Them backstards always seem to beat United in the cup.

Milltown Row2

Would give up the the FA cup to get fourth surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2019, 07:40:13 PM

I'm not sure I would.

People remember trophies rather than fourth spot. So I'd take the cup over fourth. Plus, if Ole gets the job ft, maybe a season out of the CL will allow him to build away from the pressures of all that.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2019, 08:44:44 PM

I'm not sure I would.

People remember trophies rather than fourth spot. So I'd take the cup over fourth. Plus, if Ole gets the job ft, maybe a season out of the CL will allow him to build away from the pressures of all that.

Does anyone really remember FA cup winners anymore? Honestly, really?

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on February 15, 2019, 11:03:51 PM

I'm not sure I would.

Does anyone really remember FA cup winners anymore? Honestly, really?

Wigan fans certainly do.

But yes, they do. It's not as big an occasion as it was (due to saturation of football on tv), but it's still valuable.

Cunny Funt

I’m not sure I would.

People remember trophies rather than fourth spot. So I’d take the cup over fourth. Plus, if Ole gets the job ft, maybe a season out of the CL will allow him to build away from the pressures of all that.

I'd bet one of the requirements for Ole to get the job full time is to finish in the top 4 and this same United board didn't take a cup over fourth when they got rid of Van Gaal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 15, 2019, 11:14:18 PM

I'm not sure I would.

I'd bet one of the requirements for Ole to get the job full time is to finish in the top 4 and this same United board didn't take a cup over fourth when they got rid of Van Gaal.

Which one is worth more money? Which one will attract decent quality players to the club?

BennyCake

I'm not sure I would.

Van Gaal got a very handy draw right through the FA cup that year. But he was sacked because he played the most mindnumbingly boring football over two whole seasons.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 15, 2019, 11:21:40 PM

I'm not sure I would.

Which one is worth more money? Which one will attract decent quality players to the club?

Future money and attracting players for another season is a side issue. It's about the here and now and winning trophies. The fa cup is a trophy, fourth place isn't.

If I had to choose between Armagh winning Ulster, or getting to the 4th round of qualifiers. It's a no brainer - Ulster it is.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2019, 11:52:27 PM

I'm not sure I would.

Van Gaal got a very handy draw right through the FA cup that year. But he was sacked because he played the most mindnumbingly boring football over two whole seasons.
I don't think the business men in the board room care much about the style of football. They care about profits and Champions league football is big money even if you make an exit at last 16 stage like United will this season.

stiffler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 16, 2019, 12:11:09 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2019, 11:52:27 PM

I'm not sure I would.

I don't think the business men in the board room care much about the style of football. They care about profits and Champions league football is big money even if you make an exit at last 16 stage like United will this season.

The difference between exiting the champions league at last 16 and the amount received for reaching the final or winning the competition is also huge.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Boycey

From a fans perspective it should be all about winning something, finishing 4th won't give you a warm glow inside..

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on February 16, 2019, 02:11:59 PM
From a fans perspective it should be all about winning something, finishing 4th won't give you a warm glow inside..

Yep. I've yet to hear a fan say, oh do you remember when we finished fourth and our profits were highest in the Premier League? Fans want trophies and the memories that go with them.