Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2018, 07:48:54 AM
Van Gaal got rid of a lot of the dead wood, but Mourinho still inherited quite a number.  However, the situation is worse by virtue of his apparent inability to get the best out of the players he has bought; his signings have been dreadful on the whole.  It has got to the stage that you wouldn't be confident of signing Messi and him doing well for us.  Surely it should be easy to get a team to be difficult to score against, the goals against record this season so far is shocking.  I think there are only 3/4 clubs in the league who have conceded more.

LVG added to the dead wood.

He brought in Schneidelein, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Rojo, Falcao, Darmian. Blind and Herrera, while decent enough, never set the world on fire. He then got rid of RVP, Welbeck and Hernandez (which still annoys me). He left himself with 1 striker (Rooney), but that suited LVG, because his gameplan was clearly never to score any goals, which he managed many times.

Say what you like about Jose. His reign hasn't been good, but he was never as bad as that Dutch balloon.

Maroon Manc

The football under Fergie wasn't always that attacking. From 2003 until Fergie retired 10 years later we only saw about 3 years of brilliant football from the start of 2006 until 2009 and part of that was having a very special team with 7 or 8 genuine world class players. The football in the last 6 months of Ronaldo was very average stuff especially when you consider the team we had was better then anyone else in Europe have to offer now. In those last 4 years the football was now near as exciting as Peps team now, the great Bayern side of that era or the football Klopp's Dortmund team played.

From October last season the football was crap to watch but in recent league games apart from Sunday its been a lot better. If he can continue with that and produce a team that doesn't have such a bad 45 minutes in the other half and results pick up I'll be happy with that.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 14, 2018, 08:39:19 AM
Good job there was no internet or social media back in late 89 as United languished in the bottom half of the table after 3 years of Fergie.

I remember banners at United games back then demanding Fergie be sacked. Mark Robins goal v Notts Forest in the Cup I think it was basically saved him.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 14, 2018, 08:39:19 AM
Good job there was no internet or social media back in late 89 as United languished in the bottom half of the table after 3 years of Fergie.

There was more public disquiet back then without social media that there is today ("3 years of excuses, ta ra Fergie" - sign in stadium, plenty of Fergie out chants). Despite what Edwards says, the cup run thanfully saved him. I personally think the embarrassment over some of what went on at that time means the manager is now backed no matter what which I understand. My exception is this case where he simply shouldn't have been appointed in the first place.

Edit - I see AZ has posted it up.

Boycey

The guy responsible for this banner actually wrote a book about it many years later and still gets reminded of it til this day  :D. It backs up Maroons point in that it's the only bit of evidence of fan disapproval from the time wheras nowadays everyone has an arena for their opinion and extremes of opinion are nearly the norm..

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on November 14, 2018, 01:38:35 PM
The guy responsible for this banner actually wrote a book about it many years later and still gets reminded of it til this day  :D. It backs up Maroons point in that it's the only bit of evidence of fan disapproval from the time wheras nowadays everyone has an arena for their opinion and extremes of opinion are nearly the norm..

That's a contradiction in terms. Opinions that vary from your own aren't necessarily "extreme". Can you for example give an example of "extreme" opinions from here?

Maroon Manc

Mourinho should have got the job when Fergie left, the money was there to bring in 5 or 6 top players and players weren't going for such high transfer fees.

Klopp was always the manager I wanted but unfortunatley the timing was never right when the job was available.

I really think Pep would be struggling just like Mourinho has; We'd definitely be playing better football but we wouldn't be challenging for the title. The City team he inherited in 2016 was a lot more talented than what we had in 2013 & 2016 and he's had a lot more money to spend too.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 14, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Mourinho should have got the job when Fergie left, the money was there to bring in 5 or 6 top players and players weren't going for such high transfer fees.

Klopp was always the manager I wanted but unfortunatley the timing was never right when the job was available.

I really think Pep would be struggling just like Mourinho has; We'd definitely be playing better football but we wouldn't be challenging for the title. The City team he inherited in 2016 was a lot more talented than what we had in 2013 & 2016 and he's had a lot more money to spend too.

Like I've said - I don't think Mourinho should ever have been entertained by United. I think Fergie was of that opinion too.

Agree on Klopp.

I'm not Pep's biggest fane but I think if he was at United he'd have the team contending by now and of course playing beeter stuff.

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2018, 01:41:49 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 14, 2018, 01:38:35 PM

That's a contradiction in terms. Opinions that vary from your own aren't necessarily "extreme". Can you for example give an example of "extreme" opinions from here?

Ah wind ur neck in Seanie, it's not about you or even this thread or forum. It's about what the internet and social media has done to the way we express our opinion. Everything is either the best or the worst with little in between that's what I mean by 'extreme' opinions.

If you want to use here as an example, in the last couple of pages I've seen the manager described as a cancer, Pogba as a sickness or illness and Lukaku as the worst striker that ever played for United :o. Go to any thread, forum, newspaper etc it's there. It's like the mad fella that's spouts shite in the pub except it's now everywhere..

And just in case anyone else thinks I'm singling them out, I'm pretty sure we're are guilty of this at some stage. I know I certainly am.

Play the ball not the man  :)

screenexile

So when Saudi take over Man Utd will you all stop supporting them given the thoughts many of you have about City's/PSG's regime??

As-salāmu ʿalaykum!!

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on November 14, 2018, 10:29:29 PM
So when Saudi take over Man Utd will you all stop supporting them given the thoughts many of you have about City's/PSG's regime??

As-salāmu ʿalaykum!!
I'd say the lads would be happy enough to pray facing Mecca if it meant Man Utd
could win the league.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mike Tyson

Quote from: screenexile on November 14, 2018, 10:29:29 PM

As-salāmu ʿalaykum!!

I for one welcome our new human rights suppressing overlords.

Maroon Manc

Unfortunately there is a sense of inevitability about who are next owners will be. Revenues have stagnated a little this year and doesn't look like there's huge scope to increase them in the next few years. There won't be a huge increase in the next TV deal and the deal with Chevrolet has another few years to run whilst the Adidas deal isn't up until 2025.

There's 6 Glazers and two of them would have sold years ago if they had their way according to the rumours.

magpie seanie

Clubs shouldn't be bought and sold like commodities. It's just wrong.

Boycey

Chance of 6th today  :) or 10th  :-\