The official Premier League 2018/19 Thread

Started by heganboy, July 03, 2018, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Boycey on December 09, 2018, 09:11:38 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 09, 2018, 09:01:26 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 09, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
Yeah Manc is a definite possibility.

Looks terrible but let's be honest that happens every week at football (if its not racial)

It's been going on for years but that should not excuse it. The powers that be in the FA are not outspoken enough on this issue.

Not quite sure how you stop fans shouting at players... Plenty of it in the GAA too.

Those hurling racist abuse should be identified and banned.....and if the clubs won't do it then the FA should issue sanctions against the clubs.

Boycey

Agreed, if there is racist abuse..

But what I'm driving at is that is abuse like this every weekend minus the alleged racial element but that seems to be ok?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Boycey on December 09, 2018, 09:56:01 PM

But what I'm driving at is that is abuse like this every weekend minus the alleged racial element but that seems to be ok?

Agree with you.....you only have to look at some of the 'role models' and the way they speak to match officials.....the refs don't deal with it....a few red cards for verbal abuse would soon settle the players jets.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 09, 2018, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 09, 2018, 09:56:01 PM

Agree with you.....you only have to look at some of the 'role models' and the way they speak to match officials.....the refs don't deal with it....a few red cards for verbal abuse would soon settle the players jets.

Why a ref would take abuse is beyond me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

After the recent rugby trial thread on this board - I would have thought that innocent until proven guilty would have been drilled into even the most bloodthirsty here.

Not to stand up for a Chelsea fan, guilty or not - which is to be decided, ultimately the only person knows are the immediate vicinity witnesses and Sterling himself but there isn't a game played in the Premier League which a player doesn't get a load of it when he goes to take a corner. The amount of shock at this like it's a one off (again, assuming verbal abuse only) is beyond absurd. It happens every week, in every game. I'm not saying it's ok by any means, but Christ, some need to catch a grip here. Talk about jumping on a bandwagon.

I also find it quite insane how a Banana can be thrown at a black player just 7 days prior and there's not one post on it in this thread yet there's men out to hang people with what could be racist abuse / might not be - there is reasonable doubt (right now). This seems to be a more sticking the boot into Chelsea / Chelsea fans than actually caring about the subject from some here - which is really petty.

Anyway, if it was racial abuse - Raheem Sterling should be absolutely lauded for his reaction and restraint. Remarkable from the young man who people have said before is a bit of target for most kinds of abuse.

Boycey

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 10, 2018, 11:31:40 AM
After the recent rugby trial thread on this board - I would have thought that innocent until proven guilty would have been drilled into even the most bloodthirsty here.

Not to stand up for a Chelsea fan, guilty or not - which is to be decided, ultimately the only person knows are the immediate vicinity witnesses and Sterling himself but there isn't a game played in the Premier League which a player doesn't get a load of it when he goes to take a corner. The amount of shock at this like it's a one off (again, assuming verbal abuse only) is beyond absurd. It happens every week, in every game. I'm not saying it's ok by any means, but Christ, some need to catch a grip here. Talk about jumping on a bandwagon.

I also find it quite insane how a Banana can be thrown at a black player just 7 days prior and there's not one post on it in this thread yet there's men out to hang people with what could be racist abuse / might not be - there is reasonable doubt (right now). This seems to be a more sticking the boot into Chelsea / Chelsea fans than actually caring about the subject from some here - which is really petty.

Anyway, if it was racial abuse - Raheem Sterling should be absolutely lauded for his reaction and restraint. Remarkable from the young man who people have said before is a bit of target for most kinds of abuse.

Who/where are all these people sticking the boot into Chelsea?

The banana skin incident mightn't have been racial either..

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Boycey on December 10, 2018, 11:55:38 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 10, 2018, 11:31:40 AM

Who/where are all these people sticking the boot into Chelsea?

The banana skin incident mightn't have been racial either..

You must be trolling.

BennyCake

Boycey, I was thinking that myself. Someone may have just eaten a banana and fired it in frustration at his own team or at an opposing player. I don't know what they eat at soccer matches, but I've seen many's an apple, orange, banana etc eaten at GAA matches.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on December 10, 2018, 12:38:21 PM
Boycey, I was thinking that myself. Someone may have just eaten a banana and fired it in frustration at his own team or at an opposing player. I don't know what they eat at soccer matches, but I've seen many's an apple, orange, banana etc eaten at GAA matches.

I'm as open minded as the next man lads but there can be minimal chance that someone has thrown a Banana/Banana Skin at a Black player, just after scoring a goal and it not be a racial incident.

As for the GAA thing, not exactly many young lads from the Gabon togging out in corner forward at any games I've been to.

imtommygunn

I didn't even see anything about a banana incident.

The sterling thing wouldn't be about chelsea. Ian Wright and Gary Lineker picked it up on twitter and that made it run and in addition Sterling tweeted himself about it.Those 3 things would give it legs. Also the fact that people are able to put together about 30 tweets worth of crap that Sterling gets which is very inconsistent with other players has given it mileage.

I would be inclined to say I am not 100% sure what the guy said and whether or not it was racist but he is clearly an arsehole. I watched the game and the corner was almost directly after when David Luiz had got wrecked by Sterling. It was actually Luiz's fault as he went do do sterling and sterling jumped up with his knees to avoid him and ending up wrecking Luiz's ribs. However with that I think "emotions" about him were running higher.

I also do wonder if it's a "class" thing as opposed to a race thing. It's bullshit whatever it is but there are others get this abuse who aren't people of colour.

Boycey

Benny put the case for I think MAY have happened. It was a banana skin not a banana that'd mean it was probably bought for eating not throwing. It wouldn't be that unusual for things to pegged at a player in a high emotion game like that, maybe the lad just had it in his hand and lobbed it. Doesn't stop him from being a dick though, he's been charged but I'd say it be hard to make racial element, if there is any, stick.

One good thing the Sterling thing has done is make the papers squirm they are at the root of most of the hate in my opinion. Over the years they treated people like Beckham, Graham Taylor, Gazza, Rooney plus many more appallingly

Dire Ear

Since when did you start throwing ANY kind of food at a sportsperson ???

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Boycey on December 10, 2018, 01:14:27 PM
Benny put the case for I think MAY have happened. It was a banana skin not a banana that'd mean it was probably bought for eating not throwing. It wouldn't be that unusual for things to pegged at a player in a high emotion game like that, maybe the lad just had it in his hand and lobbed it. Doesn't stop him from being a dick though, he's been charged but I'd say it be hard to make racial element, if there is any, stick.

One good thing the Sterling thing has done is make the papers squirm they are at the root of most of the hate in my opinion. Over the years they treated people like Beckham, Graham Taylor, Gazza, Rooney plus many more appallingly

Agreed and Sterling should be commended on how he has reacted to this. Thought he came across very well in the Man City documentary - obviously it's edited extremely kindly, but even still as a person he was not who we are told he 'should be'.

Unfortunately this looks like another instance however when one person (or a few) have obviously let themselves down a complete bagful in the national eye - but, they are average joes so nobody will care tomorrow. Quick - lets get the next Celeb head on the chopping block though.

ziggy90

I've been going to 'soccer' matches for well over fifty years and I don't remember anyone eating a banana at one.
I do remember however plenty of bananas been thrown at Black players.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

The default interpretation of an incident where a banana/banana skin is thrown at a black player, is that it's racist. Same with making monkey noises. Intent does need to be proven before the offensive person be found guilty. The action itself is proof of racism in football grounds since the year dot. It is astonishing that some here don't know that.

It would be up to the offender to offer an extraordinary explanation to establish some doubt, in all likliehood most all defences would defy belief because  a person would have to be utterly bereft of intelligence  to throw a banana skin in innocence at a black player, unless perhaps they went by the name of Rip Van Winkle and had been asleep for the last 20 to 50 years.