Those Dub Professionals Wha

Started by Declan, March 03, 2016, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Good photograph, definitely a professional job.

muppet

'Speculation is mounting........'

That's it?

Why would he be playing National League if he knows he is going somewhere? And why would Gavin play him??
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on March 03, 2016, 07:57:27 PM
'Speculation is mounting........'

That's it?

Why would he be playing National League if he knows he is going somewhere? And why would Gavin play him??
To increase his transfer fee of course :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

At the bottom of the Herald  article, there's a most-read story list and the top 3 are gangland  :)
Alan Ryan and the Monk.

Jinxy

'It's crazy stuff what's going on' - Donegal star Karl Lacey has possible solution to county/club divide

For Lacey, the current debate over burnout and balance between club and inter-county programmes is welcome but "nowhere near a solution yet".
The load is so great that the former Footballer of the Year believes complete separation may eventually be the only viable outcome.
"It nearly has to go down the route of rugby where, if you are good enough to go into a county squad you step away from your club and if you're not good enough for your county team any more you step back down again. There is far too much and not enough structure for club and county managers talking to each other.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/its-crazy-stuff-whats-going-on-donegal-star-karl-lacey-has-possible-solution-to-countyclub-divide-34510288.html

Is that not what already happens?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

No. He means, and I floated this a while ago, that you basically become part of the county panel, and forget the club. So Championship etc just continues on without you. If you get dropped or coming back from injury, you can play with your club.

Calendars run side by side. No 7 or 14 day rules.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 04, 2016, 01:15:12 PM
No. He means, and I floated this a while ago, that you basically become part of the county panel, and forget the club. So Championship etc just continues on without you. If you get dropped or coming back from injury, you can play with your club.

I have flirted with idea but my caveat would be the club gets paid for producing a county standard player. €1000 for making squad, €50 per league appearance €100 per championship appearance capped at €2000. It would be a reward to the club and the money can go back into coaching and infrastructure projects.
#newbridgeornowhere

snoopdog

Same as rugby so. That has served the club's well in that code alright. Cut back on the training sessions play for.club and county.

shark

But we won't have 32 inter county teams anymore in that scenario. This may shock people from more successful counties, but club players in many counties would not play county if it meant they couldn't play club. My club generally provides 4/5 players to the county panel in any given year. Knowing these lads, there are very few cases in which they would stay playing county if they couldn't play with us. At least with their club they have a chance of winning something.

seafoid

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 03, 2016, 10:23:47 PM
At the bottom of the Herald  article, there's a most-read story list and the top 3 are gangland  :)
Alan Ryan and the Monk.
It is a dreadful rag

snoopdog

Quote from: shark on March 04, 2016, 02:13:23 PM
But we won't have 32 inter county teams anymore in that scenario. This may shock people from more successful counties, but club players in many counties would not play county if it meant they couldn't play club. My club generally provides 4/5 players to the county panel in any given year. Knowing these lads, there are very few cases in which they would stay playing county if they couldn't play with us. At least with their club they have a chance of winning something.
Exactly. Club is king. Only a few counties can compete to win something.  A lot of players don't bother representing the Coity as it is with the over training and crazy commitments required for an amateur sport

Main Street

Quote from: snoopdog on March 04, 2016, 09:48:28 PM
Exactly. Club is king. Only a few counties can compete to win something.  A lot of players don't bother representing the Coity as it is with the over training and crazy commitments required for an amateur sport
Strange that, with my home town club in mid Monaghan, representing the county is the honour and  the All Star  is eternally framed. The top quality club players would willingly park club championship ambitions in exchange for the greater cause.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2016, 10:24:35 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 04, 2016, 09:48:28 PM
Strange that, with my home town club in mid Monaghan, representing the county is the honour and  the All Star  is eternally framed. The top quality club players would willingly park club championship ambitions in exchange for the greater cause.
Monaghan will be insane when Sam goes back for the first time

Beffs

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 04, 2016, 01:32:04 PM

I have flirted with idea but my caveat would be the club gets paid for producing a county standard player. €1000 for making squad, €50 per league appearance €100 per championship appearance capped at €2000. It would be a reward to the club and the money can go back into coaching and infrastructure projects.

How many counties could afford to do that? The Dublin and the Kerrys and the Kilkennys could. What about the smaller, less successful counties, who only get a few thousand at their games?